Engineer II Ohio - white dial

Thread: Engineer II Ohio - white dial

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question Engineer II Ohio - white dial

Greetings all!

I got the itch for a new watch a few months ago. While internet browsing to get an idea of just what I wanted (know it when I see it), I stumbled upon Ball watches and my curiosity was piqued. Although I was aware of the storied history of The Ball Watch Company, I was unaware of of their "resurrection". Further research indicated the irony that there is no authorized distributor in Cleveland, Ohio. But, I digress.

I like the way Ball has married the old with the new; incorporating tritium vials across their entire product line, from the modern looking Hydrocarbons, to the classic Conductors. The only way to get more "old school" is to use radium, and well, we know how that turned out.

My taste in watches leans towards the more sublime, conservative side. I already own a tritium lumed Stocker & Yale Navigator, along with a Super LumiNova lumed Citizen Eco-Drive. Both hold their own in the night. But, they're diver style, and I'm leaning towards a more classic look that Ball offers with the Engineer II Ohio, or the Engineer Master II Classic. Budget restraints dictate that I stay under $1000 +/-.

I really like the simplicity of the Engineer II Ohio, white/blue. The only problem is that the stock photos don't really show the contrast between indices and the dial (it looks washed out). Additionally, there are no AD's in my town, and the three or four in my state don't have a full collection ("we can order it from Ball"), so I can't even look at one. (I have an Atlantic Worldmaster Gold in my collection with a champaign dial that is very hard to read in subdued light.)

Does anyone here have an Engineer II Ohio, white dial, that they can post a picture to give me an idea of the contrast between the indices and dial?

Thanks!

Re: Engineer II Ohio - white dial

Here are some shots lifted from the web:

I really hadn't appreciated this model until I Googled it. Very nice!

Hope this helps.

It's regrettable that we have to Google Asian Ball seller sites to get real pictures of Ball watches. I hope that the revamped official Ball websites will have real pics in the future.

Rob
    Last edited by roberev; August 18th, 2007 at 15:46.

Hi CbusRog,

The Ohio is a classically beautiful and elegant watch, and looks great on. I got to try one, along with a bunch of other Ball models, before pulling the trigger on my EMII Classic. I would have seriously considered getting the Ohio...but the EMII Classic kept calling out to me!
    Take care,
    Geoff

Damasko DA36 Black
    Seiko Blue "Sumo" SBDC003
    Enzo Mechana Sub Hatch
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1
    Casio G-Shock GW-2500B-1A G-Aviator
    Ball Engineer Master II Classic
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Ti "Mad Cow"
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m LE "America's Cup"
    Seiko Black Monster w/Yobokies Anvil bracelet
    Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual SS(wedding gift)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks all. Those pictures give a much better representation than the ones I was able to Google. It doesn't look like contrast is going to be a problem. I think the reason it's difficult to see the contrast in some of the pictures is because the indices are highly polished and are reflecting the photography lighting directly into the lens.

sukispop:The EMII Classic is also on my short list. While I'm a sucker for tritium, the long tubes at 12, 3, 6 & 9 may be a tad distracting for the type of classic watch I'm looking for. The only way to know for sure is to get to an AD and see for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRog View Post
    sukispop:The EMII Classic is also on my short list. While I'm a sucker for tritium, the long tubes at 12, 3, 6 & 9 may be a tad distracting for the type of classic watch I'm looking for. The only way to know for sure is to get to an AD and see for myself.
    Hi CbusRog,

You're right--looking at pics of the EMII Classic, one might think that the extra long tritium tubes on the dial might be visually distracting or cluttering. I can only speak for myself, of course, but in real life, imho, the x-long tubes aren't visually distracting at all. In fact, combined with the matte black dial, yellow sweep second hand(in my model version), and, of course, the beautifully classic Ball logo graphic, I find the EMII Classic's dial to be one of the cleanest, most beautiful, and most symmetrical, in the entire Ball collection. The sales guy never mentioned it as a sales point, and I didn't find out about it until fairly recently, but the EMII Classic is one of the very few models that utilize the super bright T100 tritium tubes...icing on the cake!

I agree with you; the only way to really know how much you might like a particular watch, is to go to an AD and see it in real life, touch it, wear it, and play with it...that is, if you're lucky enough to have an AD within a reasonable drive's distance That's exactly what I did when I reached the point where I was seriously considering buying a Ball. Fortunately for me, the closest Ball AD is less than a 20 minute drive from home. You've probably already done this, but I checked to see where the nearest AD is to Cleveland(you're right, it is kinda ironic that there is no AD in Cleveland, of all places...Ball, what's up with that? ). This is what I've found--

Henry B Ball Jewelers
    5254 Dressler Rd NW
    Canton, OH 44718
    330-499-3000
    45.9 Miles from Cleveland

I think that you could make a fun day trip adventure to Canton...and going home with a beautiful, brand new Ball would be a wonderful way to cap it off! C'mon, CbusRog...go for it...you know you want to....
    Last edited by sukispop; August 20th, 2007 at 01:26.
    Take care,
    Geoff

Damasko DA36 Black
    Enzo Mechana Sub Hatch
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1

Actually, I'm in Columbus. There is a Ball AD in Dayton, and a new one about 40 miles north of me, just south of Mansfield, that was just listed on Ball's USA site. The EMII Classic is sweet! I just may have to reconsider. Looks like a couple of phone calls are in order to see if these AD's have both models in stock so I can compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRog View Post
    Actually, I'm in Columbus. There is a Ball AD in Dayton, and a new one about 40 miles north of me, just south of Mansfield, that was just listed on Ball's USA site. The EMII Classic is sweet! I just may have to reconsider. Looks like a couple of phone calls are in order to see if these AD's have both models in stock so I can compare them.
    DOH!

Sorry about that, CbusRog. I saw your mention of Cleveland, and failed to notice your location listed under your User name. :oops:

But I'm glad to hear that there's still an AD close to you, and hope that you'll get a chance to pay a visit. Ball watches exude quality in their pics...but, imho, when you get to see and touch them in real life, their in-the-flesh high level of quality, and fit and finish, will blow you away!

When I paid my AD a visit, I also got to see and touch some of their other higher end brands(most being more to far more expensive than Ball).
    Imho, Ball's quality was(and is) every bit as good, or better, than anything else that this fine jeweler had to offer.
    Take care,
    Geoff

Damasko DA36 Black
    Enzo Mechana Sub Hatch
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    I'm in between Columbus & Dayton (near London). If you are ever going to roll over their let me know...
    Hey, that would be cool...get a handful of WUS members living in that part of Ohio, and go to the AD together...not only could that be a lot of fun, but...can anyone say, "Group Discount"?
    Take care,
    Geoff

Damasko DA36 Black
    Enzo Mechana Sub Hatch
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    Tragic lives in Cinncinati....
    I was thinking the same, while I was typing that post. But Cincy's quite a ways from the Dayton area, isn't it? But probably not too far for our intrepid Tragic(not sure what intrepid means...but it sounds good! )!

...it seems that there are a bunch of WUS members living in the greater Ohio area. If not a field trip to a Ball AD, perhaps you guys could try to organize a WUS get together, eh?
    Take care,
    Geoff

Damasko DA36 Black
    Enzo Mechana Sub Hatch
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1

I'm going to call the two AD's near central Ohio on Monday and see what they have in stock. I'll let folks here know what I find out.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information