Engineer Master II Diver Lume Question

Thread: Engineer Master II Diver Lume Question

Just picked up the new version of the Ball Engineer Master II Diver. Very nice watch indeed.

I have a question about Lume if someone knows the answer. On the internal rotating diver's bezel the first 15 minutes have 1 minute indices/markers. But for some reason Ball chose to not use gas tubes on these minute markers. Instead they used some sort of luminescent paint.

If I'm out in the sun with the watch and then place the watch in a darkened room, like a closet, the lumed minute markers deplete pretty quickly and definitely don't last through the night. Why didn't they just use gas tubes so they would glow consistently like the rest of the watch? I do realize that the minute indices/markers are quite small. Maybe to small for gas tubes.

Anyone know why Ball didn't use gas tubes on the minute markers? Too small?

The picture below is from the Ball website. I cropped the photo to show just the first 15 minute markers on the rotating divers bezel.

Name:  DM2020A-SA-BKGR.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  43.9 KB

Re: Engineer Master II Diver Lume Question

The previous generation used tubes there.

My guess is to "conserve" mCi's and stay under the T25 rating required to sell in most of the world.

I agree ^ the "T25" rating is for the watch as a whole, it is the same reason why they didn't use tritium on any of the hour markers other than the 12 and 30 and 45 minute markers. The Diver COSC is a"T" watch so it has a lot more markers with tritium on them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting. It would be nice if Ball would be more specific about that on their website.

Both the Diver and the The Diver COSC are labeled "T" on the watches dial face. So distinguishing between "T" and "T25" is not possible by looking at the watch or reading the specifications on their website.

I emailed Ball on this change and this was their response. So according to them they changed the design just because they felt like it. No specific reason at all.

"I thank you for your interest towards our brand.
    There is actually no special reason for this design detail. This is just a design perception, as there are many others from a collection to another."

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Maybe I can add a little. The newer design used the dial configurations somewhat similar to the previous generations all black dial. This one was unique in using the applied numbers in SS that gave it a higher end look. I can't give you a reason for eliminating some of the smaller tubes at the 15 minute interval except possibly what ~tc~ said. Remember all a watch needs to be a T watch is the difference between 24.99 mci and 25.1 mci of tritium. So just a few tubes could be the difference.
    Last edited by samanator; June 3rd, 2014 at 14:53.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    Maybe I can add a little. The newer design used the dial configurations somewhat similar to the previous generations all black dial. This one was unique in using the applied numbers in SS that gave it a higher end look. I can't give you a reason for eliminating some of the smaller tubes at the 15 minute interval except possibly what ~tc~ said. Remember all a watch needs to be a T watch is the difference between 24.99 mci and 25.1 mci of tritium. So just a few tubes could be the difference.
    If that were the case then why does this model have "T Swiss Made" printed on the dial?
    Name:  DM2020A-SA-BKGR1.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  26.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
    If that were the case then why does this model have "T Swiss Made" printed on the dial?
    Name:  DM2020A-SA-BKGR1.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  26.7 KB
    Apparently they did not remove enough to pass the threshold. I'm mostly pointing out that in many cases a tube or two is the difference between T and T25. The one misconception that most people have with T or T100 watches is that they are near the 100mci limit. The reality is most are not even half way there. Very few are in the upper range. Standouts in the upper range for Ball are the Aviator, Aviator Dual Time, Night Train (both generation), Spacemaster Xlume, Storm Chaser DLC Glow and possibly the Diver COSC (if it is it is close).
    Last edited by samanator; June 4th, 2014 at 00:28.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Thread Information