First Ball. Question about 24 hr subdial on Master Voyager Engineer 2
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By timefleas

Thread: First Ball. Question about 24 hr subdial on Master Voyager Engineer 2

First Ball. Question about 24 hr subdial on Master Voyager Engineer 2

Hi folks -

I bought the watch mentioned in the subject. it was an impulse purchase from a pre-order. At first I regretted it, but I have grown to like it. Itís my beach, lake, travel watch.

The 24 hour function is confusing. It had a little pusher on the outside to change the 24 hour hand, and changing the regular time also changes the 24 hour hand. It would be my preference to change the main hand to the local time of where I am and leave the 24 hour hand to my home time.

Is this normal? Any ideas?

Re: First Ball. Question about 24 hr subdial on Master Voyager Engineer 2

It sounds like a GMT watch. I have never seen such a Ball, but have a couple of Glycine GMT watches. On them the 24 hour hand is set by the middle position of the crown, turn it one way and the date changes, the other way changes the 24 hour hand. Once set if you pull the crown all the way out to set the regular hands the 24 hour hand stays in sync with the regular hands. I think what you will have to do is the opposite of what you mention, set regular hands to your home time and then change 24 hour hand to local time.

Quote Originally Posted by BillUhren View Post
    <snip>
    ::
    It would be my preference to change the main hand to the local time of where I am and leave the 24 hour hand to my home time.

Is this normal? Any ideas?
    Yes, it is normal. Most people follow this practice.

Initially I was going to ask you for a photo as there seems to be a few variants of the Engineer II Voyager, one with two 12 hour dials and one with a 12 hour main dial and a 24 hour sub-dial at the 12 o'clock position. After reading what you said again, the answer was as a simple as a "Yes".

For your info, up to recently, all Ball Watches uses a modified ETA movement so adjusting and setting the watch is fairly common to most other brands.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the Ball club!!

For the original Voyager, you set the main hands to the current time, and once you've done that, poke the little button on the outer case which will move the 24 hour hand to any time zone you want (so, it is actually a dual time indicator), and it will then move along with the current time--quite simple and efficient.

The first picture, below, shows the little button--I use a toothpick to push the button to move the GMT hand--the other pictures show my first generation Ball Trainmaster Voyager GMT Power Reserves (a limited edition that they had planned to make 333 of, but ended up making less than a hundred, since they were too costly to produce--most were made with the black dial, a handful in white/silver)--they came out only for a few months in 2006. Most Ball GMTs that came later, with the indented button on the case, work in the same way. If your case doesn't have such a button, provide pictures of your watch as Ball prevents access to their pre-order models for viewers outside of the US.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by timefleas; May 20th, 2019 at 07:55.
    Nokie and Triton9 like this.

See attached for a photo.

Mine works the same as yours. What I am concerned about is that I always have to change the 24 hour dial when changing the main dial. I really wish I could just change the main dial and leave the 24 hour hand alone.

Using the pusher isnít convenient, because then I am having to look for a toothpick or similar every time I change.

I guess thatís the way these ETA movements work? My other GMTs have rotating bezels, so itís really not an issue.

I see what you mean--no, not going to happen, as of course a separate independent GMT would require a separate movement--most GMT's are simply wheels , hands, or whatever, linked up with the main movement--and really, just about any small pointer will easily move the GMT (pencil, pen, toothpick) so just can't see the real inconvenience--to me, it is a LOT easier than some of the alternatives, such as using the crown and possibly a release pusher in some odd configuration.

I do not find the crown adjustment to be difficult at all. Perhaps the easiest is a moveable 24hour bezel which can be set for a second time zone. My Glycine GMT watches have the regular hands, the 24 hour hand, and a moveable bezel so that they can be set for 3 time zones at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by jkingrph View Post
    I do not find the crown adjustment to be difficult at all. Perhaps the easiest is a moveable 24hour bezel which can be set for a second time zone. My Glycine GMT watches have the regular hands, the 24 hour hand, and a moveable bezel so that they can be set for 3 time zones at the same time.
    I, and I am pretty sure the rest of us, were referring to BALL watches, and their different GMT configurations, and the linking of a movable hand in or out of conjunction with the movement of the main hands...

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    I, and I am pretty sure the rest of us, were referring to BALL watches, and their different GMT configurations, and the linking of a movable hand in or out of conjunction with the movement of the main hands...

Probably so , but others mentioned crown adjustment and rotating bezels, which are not unique to Ball watches. I like my Ball watches, and that one looks rather unique.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    I see what you mean--no, not going to happen, as of course a separate independent GMT would require a separate movement--most GMT's are simply wheels , hands, or whatever, linked up with the main movement--and really, just about any small pointer will easily move the GMT (pencil, pen, toothpick) so just can't see the real inconvenience--to me, it is a LOT easier than some of the alternatives, such as using the crown and possibly a release pusher in some odd configuration.
    I have a Sinn 6060 which has the ETA 2893 movement. Adjusting the 24 hour hand is easy through the crown.

Just not sure I understand the rationale of this little button approach that requires a pointer. If I am going to adjust the main dial to reflect local time, I am always going to need to adjust the 24 hour hand to reflect home time or UTC. Making it a separate task with a separate device seems odd to me.

I didn’t realize the hand was coupled to the main gears, so your description was helpful. Thank you

Thread Information