Good story!
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Good story!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Good story!

While the Ball Watch Museum Tour was in Houston, the rep. told us an interesting story about the Hydrocarbon models. Seems only one crystal has been damaged to this point and it was on the arm of a military service personnel! If I have the story right, this Marine sent the damaged watch in for repair and told Ball Watch the reason he had a hand left is because the watch stopped the shrapnel from hitting him!

Ball Watch sent him a new watch to replace the damaged one at no charge with a letter of thanks to the Marine. The damaged watch is said to now being displayed at the manufacturing facility in Switzerland.

My hats off to this Marine for his service to our country and to Ball Watch for replacing his timepiece. What a very decent thing to do.

Re: Good story!

What a great story. Wish there was a way for Ball to post a pic of that watch on this forum.

Whoa! no kidding huh? What a great advertisement for Ball.
    Water resistent, Anti-magnetic, Shrapnel resistent.
    Thank God for the Marine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
    Whoa! no kidding huh? What a great advertisement for Ball.
    Water resistent, Anti-magnetic, Shrapnel resistent.
    Thank God for the Marine.
    ----------

This is something that we would never use in advertisements. And it is not the first note we have recieved from Soldiers in Iraq who use Ball. I think we have three or four on file.

Certainly would be tacky to use this is any advertising venture.

On a related note, I have uncovered in the Ball Archives a series of letters from Captains, Colonels and commanding officers to Ball Watch Company in WWI thanking them for bringing watches to the front that were accurate and that they could count on rather than the watches they were issued. Ball wisely chose not to use this in their advertising either.

Jeff H.

Quote Originally Posted by jhess View Post
    On a related note, I have uncovered in the Ball Archives a series of letters from Captains, Colonels and commanding officers to Ball Watch Company in WWI thanking them for bringing watches to the front that were accurate and that they could count on rather than the watches they were issued. Ball wisely chose not to use this in their advertising either.

Jeff H.
    Hi Mr. Hess,

Never to use it as any kind of advertising tool, but I think that it would be a fascinating historical read, if you could safely scan one of the more legible letters, and post it up in our Newsletters section, or possibly in a newly created Historical Archives section...? Just a thought....

It's heartwarming to me to find that, the more I learn about the history of the Ball Watch Company and about Webb C. Ball, the more I realize just how well their amazingly accurate, high quality timepieces have served the men(and women) in this country, at various times of need.
    Take care,
    Geoff

Damasko DA36 Black
    Seiko Blue "Sumo" SBDC003
    Enzo Mechana Sub Hatch
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1
    Casio G-Shock GW-2500B-1A G-Aviator
    Ball Engineer Master II Classic
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Ti "Mad Cow"
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m LE "America's Cup"
    Seiko Black Monster w/Yobokies Anvil bracelet
    Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual SS(wedding gift)

Sadly, i am inept at scanning. I will give it a go though.

While looking through the Ball archives for the letters, (I have yet to find them), I came across this refernce to the letters. The letters (that I will post when I DO find them) are from the same gents mentioned in this letter. Mr. Gross was a board member of the Ball Watch Company and a banker and a railroad magnate.

As you can see, even 9 years after WWI Mr. Gross was suggesting that this story had "not been told".

Jeff Hess
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are the two pages of the letter... note the begining of the military stuff on the bottom of the page and the continuance on the top of the nxt page. I hope I get the sequence right. you will have to hit your restore (middle) button next the X above right to read the text.
    Jeff Hess

The second page.

Gregc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jhess View Post
    The second page.
    Very interesting reading, Mr. Hess. Thanks very much for sharing! Look forward to reading the other letters when you get a chance to post them. This is really a treasure trove...to be enjoyed and cherished by all those who admire Ball's history.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information