Hand Lume color
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By timefleas

Thread: Hand Lume color

Hand Lume color

I like when the hands have a different color lume than the hour marks. It makes it easier to pick out the hands in the dark. Thoughts on new Ball models having different color tritium on the hands as a design feature?

Re: Hand Lume color

Of course I like to see different colors used for hands versus hour markers. The strength of the luminosity varies, however, with green the strongest, so is given a relative value of 100%, yellow, next at 80%, and on down to other colors--because of this, hands are almost always green, and sometimes yellow--using lower luminosity color strengths for the hands might look nice, but would not be as easy to read, so are rarely used.
    ancap95 likes this.

lvt

There are Ball watches with different colors for hands and markers in the past, up to three colors as far as I could remember.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The more the better, IMHO.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

My two fireman series models are both now over a decade old and they have tri-lume tubes: 43mm Fireman on SS bracelet and Night Train on leather.

Agree that green is the brightest tube color and both of them have green hands.

I picked up a Engineer Navigator GMT and it has different color lume to distinguish between the 2 different time zones. GMT bezel is backlit green just like the GMT hand whereas local time (regular hour and minute hands) glow yellow. This watch adds another dimension in that the numerals on the dial are super luminova so its the best of both worlds. I didnt like the look at first but have really grown to appreciate the readability in every situation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So far, I am underwhelmed by the tritium...dimmer than I thought it would be...

Green for the hour markets and yellow for the hands suitls me best when it comes to tritium tubes.
    Current Lineup: TBD
    Rolex Submariner 116613LN Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
    Breitling Galactic Unitime Sleek T World Timer Breitling Avenger II Chronograph
    Omega Seamaster 300M 44MM GMT Chronograph Deep Blue Master 2000
    Tissot T-Touch Expert, All Titanium Citizen Eco-Drive World Perpetual AT CB0000-57E
    TBD TBD

Thread Information