Hand winding your Ball, will damage it.

Thread: Hand winding your Ball, will damage it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hand winding your Ball, will damage it.

ETA auto winding system is poorly designed because there should be a clutch that disengages the auto train when you hand wind. But the ETA system has no such clutch, so every time you hand wind you are placing the auto wind system under stress, by running it backwards all the way to the reversing wheels (and sometimes beyond if the lube is poor), and causing unnecessary wear.

This is a well known fact, but I see several people here recommending daily hand winding, why?

Re: Hand winding your Ball, will damage it.

daily handwinding is not something I'd recommend as a regular habit. It creates stress for the screw down crown and it is gentler for the movement to be wound by wrist or winder imo. Other opininions will differ but this is what works for me.

There is certainly a clutch however on all ETA movements, otherwise you'd overwind the watch every time you put it on your wrist for more than a few hours. The clutch is involved in all winding methods, hand or auto.

Hope this helps.
    kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
    ETA auto winding system is poorly designed because there should be a clutch that disengages the auto train when you hand wind. But the ETA system has no such clutch, so every time you hand wind you are placing the auto wind system under stress, by running it backwards all the way to the reversing wheels (and sometimes beyond if the lube is poor), and causing unnecessary wear.

This is a well known fact, but I see several people here recommending daily hand winding, why?
    I don't think this really much of a "fact" as some peoples "opinion." Here is my opinion with a few facts thrown in for good reading:

First, the Eterna double reverser wheel system is one of the most widely used systems, even outside of SWATCH group, Rolex uses almost the exact same design in the 1565, 1570, 3131, 3035, 3135, 3155, 3185, 3186, 2235 and many others.

It is a very reliable system.

Second, the reverser wheels are design to run in reverse as well as forward, (maybe that's why they call them REVERSER wheels, in the images they are referred to as click-wheel, with upper and lower halves.) How the system works is shown in the two diagrams below, so you can see that one of the reverser wheels is always turning "backwards" even when normally operating as an automatic.

When you hand wind, the mainspring gear (yellow disk) is rotated and the yellow arrow indicating power flow run backwards, but because the reverser wheels only allow power transmission from the top portion to the bottom portion the tops remain motionless.

Here is a very good article on the Eterna auto winding system (where I borrowed the images):
    http://www.timezone.com/library/horo...77243512065083

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

wow this i something new! thanks for sharing dude.

Nice post!

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    I don't think this really much of a "fact" as some peoples "opinion." Here is my opinion with a few facts thrown in for good reading:

First, the Eterna double reverser wheel system is one of the most widely used systems, even outside of SWATCH group, Rolex uses almost the exact same design in the 1565, 1570, 3131, 3035, 3135, 3155, 3185, 3186, 2235 and many others.

It is a very reliable system.

Second, the reverser wheels are design to run in reverse as well as forward, (maybe that's why they call them REVERSER wheels, in the images they are referred to as click-wheel, with upper and lower halves.) How the system works is shown in the two diagrams below, so you can see that one of the reverser wheels is always turning "backwards" even when normally operating as an automatic.

When you hand wind, the mainspring gear (yellow disk) is rotated and the yellow arrow indicating power flow run backwards, but because the reverser wheels only allow power transmission from the top portion to the bottom portion the tops remain motionless.

Here is a very good article on the Eterna auto winding system (where I borrowed the images):
    http://www.timezone.com/library/horo...77243512065083
    kind regards,

scott

good post!! learning a lot again!!
    - clouder -

be happy and be healthy!

Banned

Guess I would like you to state your source of information first.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonBallDealer View Post
    Guess I would like you to state your source of information first.
    yep
    BALL AVIATOR
    INVICTA PRO DIVER 8926
    INVICTA CORDUBA LIMITED EDITION
    CROTON PRO DIVER
    ROLEX MILGUASS

I have never heard this before. Either way, I have a solution to the "hand winding your Ball watches" problem. Don't wear your other watches anymore, only your Ball.... :)

Still, good info.

In all seriousness. If you have several automatic watches, might I suggest an inexpensive watch winder? I feel this is the best way to them wound.

Just my 2 cents...
    Marc Levesque
    @MarcTime2watch
    MyTime2watch.blogspot.com

I think the question is more in general than Ball Marc. with today's screw in crowns, every time you screw and unscrew, you put pressure on the threads and gaskets.

I also feel (jmo) that handwinding is not nearly as delicate as when the watch winds automatically.

But the main issue is the gaskets and threads.
    kind regards,

scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information