Help! Changing band/strap

Thread: Help! Changing band/strap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! Changing band/strap

Okay, I feel like an idiot. I am trying for the first time to change the band on my Mad Cow, from the bracelet to the rubber. I am using the little screwdriver (why the heck is is so awkwardly designed--with the heavy round disk?) and when I turn the screws, nothing happens. In fact, I can't figure out why there would be a screwhead on both sides of the pin. No matter which side I unscrew, it just spins.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Re: Help! Changing band/strap

Okay, here we go:

Removal:

- You should have 2 screwdrivers that came with the watch. You'll need them both.

- What you see is a lug tube that appears to be slotted at both ends. In reality, the screw tubes are long, running the full width of the lug. Only one end of the tube is slotted. The other end of the tube is threaded (female). Into the threaded end of the tube is a tiny lug screw. The tiny screw is very similar to what you see on a watch bracelet with screw pins in the links.

- Using both screwdrivers, loosen the screw tube from each end of each tube. I find that it works best when I use the round-bottomed screwdriver by sitting it on the table, putting one end of a screw-tube on top of the screwdiver, and then using the other screw driver to loosen the lug screw. (I figure that this is why Ball made one of the screwdrivers with a round base)

- As you unscrew the tube, you will find that one end turns easier than the other. This is the tiny lug screw. The tube itself is harder to turn. I try not to turn the screw tube itself due to the resistance. Once you find out which end turns easier, you may have to switch screwdrivers around. You want to use the handheld screwdriver on the lug screw, not the screw tube. Remove the tiny lug screw. Be careful not to lose it (I've lost one before, they're so small).

- Included with your Mad Cow should be a little paper envelope with a ziploc baggie inside. Inside the baggie is a little tube that is threaded on one end and solid (no slot) on the other end. (I'll call it a "Helper Tube"). You'll need this now.

- Once you have removed the tiny lug screw from one end of the lugs, screw the Helper Tube into the same end. The Helper Tube will stick out of the lug a centimeter or so. CAREFULLY push on the Helper Tube to force the screw tube out of the lug. You may have to wiggle the end link. You may have to gently tap the Helper Tube with a wooden mallet. Just be careful not to bend the Helper Tube.

- Do this for all four lug holes. The Bracelet will fall out. Don't lose the end links as they are not affixed to the bracelet.

Installation:

- Installing is the reverse. Use the Helper Tube to install each tube. This is important to ensure that the tube "seats" all the way in the hole. If the head of the screw tube doesn't nestle down into the lug hole, you have not fully installed it. Some tricks to get it to "seat" are: 1) wiggle the Helper Tube and strap/endlink, 2) turn the tube with a screwdriver, and 3) do both. Getting it to "seat" can be exasperating.

- Once the screw tube is fully seated, unscrew the Helper Tube and carefully install the tiny lug screw.

- Once you have reinstalled the lug screw, use both screwdrivers again to tighten both ends at the same time.

- Be careful not to overtighten! It is possible to both strip the screw slots and to ruin the threads inside the screw tube.

If my instructions do not help, please PM me. There's a reason why I've never written instruction manuals. I'm out of town right now, or I'd take and post pics. Maybe I'll do it next week.

I am happy to call anyone to talk them through the process.

I have become adept at this and it still takes me 15 to 20 minutes. This is not something to be done quickly since it's so easy to mess up the slots and threads, and to lose the tiny screws.

Rob
    Last edited by obie; September 21st, 2007 at 16:08.

By the way, if you haven't found the second screwdriver, look in your box. Pull up the little base that the watch sits in. There's a screwdriver tucked up in the slot underneath.

Rob

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks so much. That worked. Still took about 30 minutes, which seems a bit ridiculous for a band change, but at least it made sense. Thanks again!

WOW! Terrific response Rob!

Thank you for your help!

Ejoy your watch gdaniel!
    Marc Levesque
    @MarcTime2watch
    MyTime2watch.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by gdaniel View Post
    Thanks so much. That worked. Still took about 30 minutes, which seems a bit ridiculous for a band change, but at least it made sense. Thanks again!
    I put my white-dialed Mad Cow on the rubber strap. I don't think I'm going to ever switch back. It's mostly because I really like the rubber strap more, but I admit it's also a bit because of the hassle of switching straps.

The Mad Cow is the most difficult watch I've ever encountered when it comes to strap changes. On the other hand, I KNOW that I'll never lose this watch from a broken lug bar.

Rob

Rob--Thanks for taking the time to type that out so coherently. I think I could even do it, so I'm printing out his thread for future reference. I usually have someone hold the watch steady while I use 2 screwdrivers to loosen and tighten and that works well too.
    Chris

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    ==========================
    Collector of Ball, Stowa and Glycine timepieces

Thumbs Up Re: Help! Changing band/strap

Rob,

Your Removal and Installation Instructions were EXCELLENT!

I am phenomenally mechanically challenged......but I truly believe that if I owned a Mad Cow(very well could some day!), I could follow your instructions and get the job done! Thanks so much for taking the time to post them. :thanks

*Marc, Warren, and Brian*--I'd like to suggest putting Rob's instructions up in our forum as a sticky, so that any Mad Cow owner who needs some help, can find these easily, without having to go through an archive search.
    Take care,
    Geoff

Damasko DA36 Black
    Seiko Blue "Sumo" SBDC003
    Enzo Mechana Sub Hatch
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1
    Casio G-Shock GW-2500B-1A G-Aviator
    Ball Engineer Master II Classic
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Ti "Mad Cow"
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m LE "America's Cup"
    Seiko Black Monster w/Yobokies Anvil bracelet
    Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual SS(wedding gift)

Rob, that's an incredible 'How To' guide! Ball should hire you to write out these guides for people!

I'll definitely refer back to this if I ever get a Hydrocarbon!
    Regards,
    - TY -

Wow, thanks! I just re-read my rambling and wonder how anyone really could understand, but I appreciate the kind words just the same.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information