Help me choose my first Ball!
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help me choose my first Ball!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me choose my first Ball!

Hi guys,

I am obsessed with awesome lume and the Balls have caught my eye. I have looked as much as I can, and though I think there may be some watches I am missing my current list of possibilities are the following (no particular order):

1 engineer M challenger - https://shop.ballwatch.ch/image/data...ours/05day.jpg
    2 fireman racer https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...g?v=1445616788
    3 m marvelight https://www.ablogtowatch.com/wp-cont...velight-13.jpg
    4 endurance 1917 classic http://timetransformed.com/wp-conten...4day-W1000.jpg
    5 engineer III starlight https://shop.ballwatch.ch/image/data...ight/05day.jpg

I have a small wrist (around 6.3 inches) so looking to stay <50mm lug to lug and 40mm width. I do like thinner watches which argues for the racer. I love great lume as above. I wear most of my watches on a strap but I am not against a bracelet so long as its comfortable. I am looking for a daily dress up or dress down watch. I love open backs if possible but its not a deal breaker. Help me choose! Feel free to suggest a different Ball if you think Im missing something.
    Last edited by tcc1; October 7th, 2018 at 04:20.

Re: Help me choose my first Ball!

It would have been more helpful if you had collated a montage of those watches you are talking about as I don't recall anything about the endurance classic.

Since I've elected to respond to you, let me distill your criteria as follows:
    1. Watch to suit a small wrist (around 6.3 inches)
    2. <50mm lug to lug and 40mm width
    3. love great lume
    4. wears most watches on strap
    5. looking for a daily dress up or dress down watch
    6. prefers open backs if possible but its not a deal breaker.

The watch that ticks all those boxes would be an Engineer II Magneto S.

Alternatives to consider with great lume are:
    a) Engineer II Marvelight - but on bracelet and no exhibition caseback.
    b) Engineer III Ironlight - great watch head that matches all sorts of straps so you feel like you've got a new watch every time you change straps. No exhibition caseback.

P.S. Might I add that it seems Ball Watches makes them in batches so some that you see on the website may be hard to source. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    It would have been more helpful if you had collated a montage of those watches you are talking about as I don't recall anything about the endurance classic.

Since I've elected to respond to you, let me distill your criteria as follows:
    3. love great lume

The watch that ticks all those boxes would be an Engineer II Magneto S.

Alternatives to consider with great lume are:
    a) Engineer II Marvelight - but on bracelet and no exhibition caseback.
    b) Engineer III Ironlight - great watch head that matches all sorts of straps so you feel like you've got a new watch every time you change straps. No exhibition caseback.

P.S. Might I add that it seems Ball Watches makes them in batches so some that you see on the website may be hard to source. Good luck!
    thanks for your thoughts! i went back and added some photos to each. I think the magneto is a tough one to buy, theres not a ton of wrist shots out there and I am concerned its 42mm may comically dominate my wrist.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

..accidental double post
    Last edited by tcc1; October 7th, 2018 at 04:35.

I have an Endurance and can certainly recommend it. I also have a Fireman Enterprise and the lume on it is great. Of the ones you listed, I would choose either the Endurance (awesome design case back) or the M Marvelight, which has an exhibition case back. The dials between those two are somewhat similar.

Below are a couple of shots of my Endurance, one of my Enterprise and a side by side lume comparison (Endurance on the left).

Last edited by PetrosD; October 7th, 2018 at 05:30.

Quote Originally Posted by tcc1 View Post
    thanks for your thoughts! i went back and added some photos to each. I think the magneto is a tough one to buy, theres not a ton of wrist shots out there and I am concerned its 42mm may comically dominate my wrist.
    Agree with you on the size of the Magneto but the lugs of Ball Watches generally turn downwards so it wears great with a strap which is what you wanted. Another point for you to think about is that I see some of the models you chose are older models so the tritium tubes would have started their half life decay. Hence, the lume may not be as bright as what you might envisage or seen in marketing photoshoots. Good to highlight this to you upfront as many people on this forum complain about the lume not being as bright as they think it would be - but they forget that (a) they bought a used/old watch or (b) it is new old stock.

Agree with you on the size of the Magneto but the lugs of Ball Watches generally turn downwards so it wears great with a strap which is what you wanted. Another point for you to think about is that I see some of the models you chose are older models so the tritium tubes would have started their half life decay. Hence, the lume may not be as bright as what you might envisage or seen in marketing photoshoots. Good to highlight this to you upfront as many people on this forum complain about the lume not being as bright as they think it would be - but they forget that (a) they bought a used/old watch or (b) it is new old stock.
    This is true for my Fireman Victory. I bought it new a year ago but the lume has always been underwhelming and disappointing, although it also has smaller tubes. The lume is great on both my Endurance and Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by PetrosD View Post
    This is true for my Fireman Victory. I bought it new a year ago but the lume has always been underwhelming and disappointing, although it also has smaller tubes. The lume is great on both my Endurance and Enterprise.
    Yeah, size and colour of the tritium tube plays a part as well. As an aside, the OP has 6 criteria;
    3. love great lume
    Great lume was what he was after so I thought it best to manage the expectations from the start.

Yeah, size and colour of the tritium tube plays a part as well. As an aside, the OP has 6 criteria;
    3. love great lume
    Great lume was what he was after so I thought it best to manage the expectations from the start.
    3. love great lume
    I understand the OP's criteria which is why I added my personal experience with the Victory to help illustrate your excellent point.

From my previous post I think the Endurance and M Marvelight fit his criteria very well:

1. I have an 8" wrist so it's difficult for me to judge wearability for him, but both are on the conservative side for modern Ball watches.
    2. Both meet this criteria.
    3. I gave him lume shots of the Endurance to see what it's like real world. I expect the M Marvelight to be similar.
    4. My Endurance is on a bracelet, but I believe both can be ordered with a strap. My recommendation would be the bracelet and swapping for a third party strap to maximize options.
    5. Both would be perfect for a daily dress up or dress down watch and that's how I use mine.
    6. The M Marvelight has an open back.

I think he'd be really happy with either of these watches and of all the watches he listed these are the best to dress up and could easily be worn as a dress watch.

I included my pics of the Enterprise even though it's not on his list because it meets all of the same criteria, minus the open back, but can be had at very reasonable prices.

And the lume is awesome.
    Dogbert_is_fat likes this.

I selected the smaller Starlight, basically because of the numerals totally lumed. I am still awaiting delivery on this one. The only one I currently have is an Engineer Roman, very classy looking with the Roman numerals, but the lume markers are rather small dots, although they are quite visible in the dark.

Some of those with the long lume slashes in the dark are quite nice, but a lack of numerals in daylight just does nothing for me. It's all personal preference, choose what you like not what I or others might say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information