How bright should I expect my Night Train to be?

Thread: How bright should I expect my Night Train to be?

How bright should I expect my Night Train to be?

Hi folks ~

just got my night train for a few days . very nice watch , good looking , superb accuracy , around +2 s per 24 hrs.
    but I have a question here. it's my first ball ever, of coz the gas tube is one of its selling point. but after i got home , and experienced it's night view, it seems that it is not as bright as i thought!!!
    at the shop counter , there are some display with UV light shining on the watches, the watches are emitting very bright light. but when i look at my ngith train in dark, it is actually not bright at all. somehow i would say my Seiko is brighter than the Ball if it has just absorbed light (even much bright if after absorb UV)
    is it normal that when in darkness, the Ball would not as bright as being shone with UV light ?? and how can i tell if my Ball is emitting light normally?
    pls share your view

Re: How bright should I expect my Night Train to be?

If your NT had any gas tube "problem", it would not have left the factory. As Brian said, you cannot compare tritium tubes to watch dials coated with ordinary super-luminova. In the long run, the tritium tubes will ALWAYS outshine anything with super-luminova. Enjoy your new NT!! I'm finally getting mine from the AD on Friday.
    Chris

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    ==========================
    Collector of Ball, Stowa and Glycine timepieces

thanks, I try not to compare with seiko then.
    but my god , your NT look so bright ! is my having any problem ? how did u take that pic ? ISO how much ? shutter how much? I can see that your second hand does not move at all , the interval should be real short. I guess your NT should be really bright !

when I say my NT is not bright , let me put it this way. in darkness , if I shine UV on my NT, it is very bright , assume its brightness is at 100%. if i remove the UV light , in the same darkness, it only has 30-40% bright I would say. is it normal???

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Those really bright lume shots are taken either with a long exposure or some other settings. I can never get my lume shots to be that bright with just a normal shutter speed. IMO watch companies should be a little careful not to promote their watches with those kind of "special" lume shots as it may raise unrealistic expectations on the part of customers.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

ryanwwf--I think you have it backwards---your Ball watch at night when you look at it is at 100%. When you shine the UV light on it you are enhancing the glow of the tritium beyond what it is supposed to look like in normal darkness. Again, I'm sure your watch is fine--I think your expectations are far too high based on some "enhanced" photos of the watch you've seen somewhere. The lume photos you see are time elapsed so they look bright. Don't compare your NT to the photos--doing that would mean we all have defective watches!! Just enjoy your nice watch both during the day and at night.
    Chris

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    ==========================
    Collector of Ball, Stowa and Glycine timepieces

Thank Chris ~~ I feel much happier now ~~

ryanwwf - Take a look at this test here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=81978

As you can see, a watch with charged-up lume is always much brighter than tritium tubes. However after about half an hour to an hour, it would most probably be faded to about the same or less brightness than your Night Train.

Just try it out for yourself. One evening, put both your watches on the table and make sure it's quite dark. Then shine a bright light on your Seiko. If you check on your watches every 10 to 20 minutes, you'll notice there will be a point where the Seiko will have become less bright than your Night Train.

I myself actually notice the difference in normal use. With my Ball watch, I've noticed that there are many occasions where I can now tell the time when previously I couldn't (with a Superluminova watch). Maybe you'll notice it too, as you use your Night Train more.

Congrats on your watch, enjoy it!
    Regards,
    - TY -

Thread Information