I need help with the band of my new Engineer II Red Label.

Thread: I need help with the band of my new Engineer II Red Label.

I need help with the band of my new Engineer II Red Label.

I love my new Red Label, but it consistently wants to ride up on my wrist and sit in a high position. I believe this to be because I have large wrist and therefore the 2 portions of the band are asymmetrical. The deployant clasp wants to naturally sit in the midline and therefore, the watch rides high on the wrist. The natural position of the watch and the asymmetry of the band can be seen in the pics below. Anyone have this problem before? Can it be fixed by simply buying a longer band? IF so, what length should I look for? I don't know the length of this band that came with the watch. Thanks for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: I need help with the band of my new Engineer II Red Label.

Try switching it to a regular tang buckle with a longer strap. I've had similar discomfort with those butterfly deployant clasps. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jjlwis1 View Post
    Try switching it to a regular tang buckle with a longer strap. I've had similar discomfort with those butterfly deployant clasps. Good luck!
    Good advice. If that doesn't work, look into a custom made strap, where you can determine for yourself the length of either strap piece, in order to make the sides more symmetrical, and still use the deployant.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To get the length of the present band, undo the deployant and measure both sides of the leather/croc portion of band. Together, I'm betting they add up to 200mm (eg., 75+125mm) Then go to some third party sites and there are many good ones, and look for one 10mm or more longer. I'm not a fan of deployants either. Ball has a cool buckle. I use one on my Red Label GMT.

You might look at this site as a guide to strap length:
    Measurements:: TOSHI STRAPS :: Handmade leather watch straps ::

It may also be an issue with the thickness of the band. I had similar problems with my Zenith alligator strap (thin band w/ deployant). It was just too small for the watch and didn't fill the gap between the back of the case and my wrist. It was also so light it couldn't hold the weight of the watch, which would cause it to move around on my wrist. The Ball leather (BP-BRML...) straps will work better as they are a bit thicker (see link below) or you can go with a custom strap.
    If you want a custom strap made to your own personal specifications, check out my Signature. Greg is great to work with and will make whatever you want (i'm not affiliated in any way, just like his work).

Or...

Welcome to BALL Watch . - BALL Community

Here's some bands he made for my Stowa and Zenith.
    I had him make the width 3mm, which I think is perfect for any watch 10 - 15.5mm in height. You will not want to go over 3mm thickness for your particular model.
    Custom straps tend to run a bit longer too, so ask before you have it sized for your wrist. If you don't want a long tail, have them shorten the length about 1/4 inch.

For reference my Stowa is 10mm and Zenith is 15.5mm

I had 2 Toshi straps as well, but they were way too thick for any watch I own.

Last edited by arias51; August 1st, 2014 at 04:41.
    • Zenith El Primero 1969
    • Stowa Flieger
    • Victorinox Officer's Limited Edition 1884
    • Ball Engineer II Marvelight
    • Ball Engineer Master II Moon-Phase
    • Ball Engineer Master II Moon-Glow

Thanks for all the great ideas! I am going to begin my search for a custom band that should fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by abullockmd View Post
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I am going to begin my search for a custom band that should fix the problem.
    Good luck. Lots of great watch band makers out there to choose from.
    Also, if you do go custom make sure you have them make you either 1 small keeper or 2 small keepers (1 sewn in and one floating).
    Usually they only include one large keeper (see 1st & 3rd pics) which doesn't look good on dressier watches.
    Last edited by arias51; August 1st, 2014 at 02:24.
    • Zenith El Primero 1969
    • Stowa Flieger
    • Victorinox Officer's Limited Edition 1884
    • Ball Engineer II Marvelight
    • Ball Engineer Master II Moon-Phase
    • Ball Engineer Master II Moon-Glow

I always have this problem with both straps and bracelets. The bracelets are an easy fix as links can be removed and or shifted to the other side, however you might be stuck with your situation. My wife wears a Hamilton on occasion and has the same problem. I have been unable to figure anything out for her. The watch looks awesome by the way.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

As a few have mentioned I would give up on the deployant on a small case (My guess is you have the 40mm Red label not the 43mm) with your larger than average wrist(Possibly over 8"?). The pin buckle will work better, but ultimately you need a longer strap by what looks like 25mm-33mm to be in the right size range. Playing with the side lengths will reel this in. I would suggest a piece of string looped through the spring pins. Place a mark at each spring pin and then hold the deployant clasp up at the center of your wrist and mark the two pin points for the deployant. Measuring the two marks from the spring pin at the 6 to the mark where the deployant mounting pin attaches will give you your shorter end length of the strap.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

I have ordered a custom alligator strap from Stone Creek Straps. The current strap is 115mm/75mm and the new strap will be 125mm/85mm. I am hopeful the added 10 mm on the short side will be enough to reposition the deployant in the midline of the wrist. If not, I'll just get a tang buckle. I should have the strap in about 6 weeks and will post pics and let everyone know how it goes when it comes in. FYI, yes it's the 40 mm and my wrist is close to 8". As Samanator said in his review of this watch, the 40 mm wore larger that it's 40 mm size and I liked it better than the 43mm.

Thread Information