I'm back, Ball owner again!

Thread: I'm back, Ball owner again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm back, Ball owner again!

After selling my Alligator, I felt great remorse for selling it. There was a noticable void in my collection, so I set out to buy another Ball. While fishing in the *bay, I stumbled upon a listing for a Ball watch with mispelled title, terrible pic, no box and no papers. The pic showed a Mad Cow. The pics were bad and impossible to assess the condition. I knew it was a huge risk but I grabbed it for the $650bin before someone else did. The seller responded quickly, and shipped the watch right after payment. Today it arrived, and to my relief, it was a used but not abused Mad Cow with all links and no box or papers. After an hour of refurbishing and cleaning, I am super pleased with it.

I initially avoided the Mad Cow due to the Ti construction and offset day/date, and I expected it to feel like a watered down Gator. Both of these concerns were unfounded. The Ti, unlike other ti watches I've owned, is still substantial feeling with some good heft while not being too heavy. "Just right" is how I would describe it. The Ti also has a brighter finish, not dull battleship grey like other ti watches I've owned. The Ti parts are barely distinguishable from the SS parts. Lastly, the offset Day/date doesn't bother me at all, although I would prefer the aligned layout of the Alligator. The monochromatic face with applied arabic hour numbers looks fantastic, offering a little extra sparkle on the face. I actually prefer this dial to the Alligator's which had some red and yellow type and no applied hour markers.

I'm surprised to say that I like this watch as much as my departed Alligator, and expect this one to stay in the collection. I will not make that mistake again.

Its great to be back in the Ball family

Last edited by MarkJnK; October 2nd, 2007 at 04:24.

Re: I'm back, Ball owner again!

Looks good to me... congrats on an estute pickup Mark...

Congrats on the nice catch! BTW how did you take the scratches off the ti? :thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Isn't it great when a deal that is too good to be true turns out to in fact be a great deal?

And you can get scratches out of Ti by using a fiberglass pen fyi... (note: test in inconspicuous place on case back or inside of link 1st!)

Congrats....

Nice catch! I missed seeing that puppy on the bay--it got past me and my weekly searches! Enjoy!!
    Chris

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    ==========================
    Collector of Ball, Stowa and Glycine timepieces

Wow great catch!! You mentioned you had to 'clean' it up a bit, but it looks immaculate!!
    Regards,
    - TY -

That was a SUPER BUY. Don't come accross buys like that very ofen. Great pics too.

Great photos... and welcome back!

...needs to update his signature line.
    July 08 Newsletter: New World Record for Guillaume Néry, Diver GMT, Aviator
    Baselworld 2008 Newsletter: Guillaume Néry, Trieste Chronograph, Moonlight Special
    Click to view the BALL Engineer Master II Diver TMT.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymd View Post
    Congrats on the nice catch! BTW how did you take the scratches off the ti? :thanks
    I use the same technique I use on SS. I buy 3M Scotchbrite pads, used for sanding in many industries. They come in 3 grades, grey, green and burgundy. I use mostly the green to brush SS and Ti. The important factor is to mask off any areas not to be brushed, and to brush the surface gently in a perfectly straight line, aligned with the factory grain. Curved surfaces like the case side are more challenging, but work slowly and mask carefully.

For polished surfaces, I use Cape Cod cloths.

Uncoated Ti scatches easir than SS, and is therfore easier to re-brush with the above technique. Don't try this on coated Ti like Citizens Duratect.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information