An intro & my new Marvelight
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: An intro & my new Marvelight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    XiL

An intro & my new Marvelight

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'll start off with a little bit of history. My first watch was a Casio F-91W, with an actual light bulb inside the watch! Followed by a Casio calculator watch, then the databank, and the TV remote watch with the IR blaster. This was followed by a bunch of various Timex's. My foray into analog watches was a swiss army watch.
    Name:  REN24228.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  20.9 KB
    It was a good watch and I handed it down to my dad, who still wears it today. (Yes realize I passed a watch backwards in the family hierarchy, haha).

My first automatic watch was an Invicta. Display back, 21 jewels. I've always appreciated the miracle of micromechanics that could keep time to within 99.999% accuracy, day in and day out. Unfortunately the Invicta wasn't that accurate; it was more like 30 seconds a day. Plus I couldn't get pass the thought of owning a "fine" mechanical time piece that cost less than my analog swiss army watch.

With my first few paychecks from my first real job, I purchased a Citizen Skyhawk Blue Angels Titanium Eco-Drive watch.
    Name:  jr3090-58l-citizen-skyhawk-gents-titanium-blue-angels-watch.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  57.6 KB
    This was my first nice "real watch." It stayed with me for 10 years. I wore it through 4 years of daily bike commuting, 25 miles every day in NYC on a road bike. I wore it bike racing. I wore it in the pool. I wore it hiking and climbing every weekend. I wore it when I went out onto job sites, into crawl spaces, doing yard work, wrenching on my car, mountain biking, road biking, running, weight training, snowboarding, to the beach, literally everywhere. And it kept to about +-1 second a month.
    I went through a phase of being "time-less" for about 9 months and during that time I kept it on my dresser, exposed to about 2-3 hours of indoor lighting a day. Either that wasn't enough to keep the powercell charged or it was just old but when I finally picked it up 2 months ago, it was dead. I was pretty bummed out.

To cheer me up, my girlfriend bought me a Ball Marvelight for my birthday. I wanted something elegant, that would work well with a dress shirt or suit but at the same time be physically tough enough to endure every day life. We had gone to the local AD twice, in hopes of seeing the black or gray dial. But when we saw the silver, we both knew that was the look that I was going for. As an engineer, the history of Ball watches intrigued me plus it is always nice to be able to associate with the history and aura of the time piece. I know it's no Rolex (even though it kinda looks like the DJII) or Omega (even though it kinda looks like the AT) but it's by far the nicest time piece I've ever had. Plus, like the Citizen Skyhawk, it holds a lot of sentimental meaning for me.

I've had it on my wrist for 3 weeks non-stop through a standard weekly routine of cycling through pot-hole ridden streets on a titanium road bike with very very stiff carbon fiber wheels, running, weight training, hiking, including a 20 mile loop of the northern presidentials in the white mountains of new hampshire. It gains an average of ~7 seconds every day, which is a-ok by me!

Name:  P1030448 (Large).JPG
Views: 630
Size:  201.9 KBName:  P1030457 (Large).JPG
Views: 641
Size:  246.8 KBName:  P1030455 (Large).JPG
Views: 614
Size:  149.9 KB
    Name:  P1030453 (Large).JPG
Views: 611
Size:  242.6 KBName:  P1030454 (Large).JPG
Views: 614
Size:  264.8 KB
    Name:  P1030471.JPG
Views: 607
Size:  125.5 KB

I'm going to order a kit and replace the power cell in my Citizen, if anything just to keep it as a backup in case the Ball ever needed to be sent back for service. *knock on wood*
    Kauf2947, jjlwis1, scenar and 2 others like this.

Re: An intro & my new Marvelight

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. That is one fine watch you have there.
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

Possibly the best first timer post ever--interesting read, and excellent pictures--welcome to the club!!
    jjlwis1 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That was an enjoyable post. Like yourself we both have a strong appreciation for watches. The only difference is I can't wear the same watch everyday of the week. I need to change it up based on where I'm going or what I'm doing. I also purchased a new Marvelight two weeks ago in the blue dial. You made a great choice. Enjoy the new purchase!

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Welcome to the Ball forum!
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Congrats and welcome to the forum! The Marvelight is a great watch, I have one with a blue dial.
    Current lineup:
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver GMT
    Rolex 114300 OP 39
    Panerai Radiomir (42mm) PAM574
    Omega 8800 (38mm) Aqua Terra
    Omega 8800 (39.5mm) Planet Ocean
    Omega Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Rolex 116610LN Ceramic Sub
    Rolex GMT Master (Pepsi) 1675
    1950's Rolex Precision
    1960's Rolex Oyster Perpetual
    1950's Omega Seamaster
    Luminox Diver
    Marathon Navigator
    Other Vintage Watches

Great looking watch. The silver dial looks awesome too!

Your girlfriend has good taste in watches...you had better keep her!

Welcome to the forum and you have a great model for your first Ball watch!....Trust me.....they reproduce.

Bill

I remember my Girlfriend and now wife bought me a Ball Cleveland Express for my Birthday. She sounds like a keeper. Enjoy and good luck with your new Ball.

XiL

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

My girlfriend has good taste in everything, which is why shes with me, haha. I'm the kind of guy that tends to have 1 item and uses it until it breaks before getting a new one. So if I ever manage to completely total the Marvelight, I would probably move up to something with an in house movement.

On the plus side, whereas my citizen has numerous scratches on the mineral glass crystal, the sapphire on the Marvelight has survived unscathed being bashed against rocks during a day of rock climbing and scrambling.

The lume has proven very useful but once my eyes have adjusted to the darkness its so ridiculously bright that I can walk down the hallway with it. I feel like Tony Stark with an arc reactor on my wrist, in bed.
    Last edited by XiL; August 24th, 2014 at 15:58.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information