Just Received BAll EM II GMT
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just Received BAll EM II GMT

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
  1. #1
    Member Sparrowhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    771

    Just Received BAll EM II GMT

    I have recently received a Ball Engineer Master II GMT. I like it very much, although I wish it was a little larger in diameter. I will post pictures in the no too distant future after I resolve my predicament.

    My predicament has been seen on this forum before, but here it is: I was attempting to remove a screw from the bracelet and you guessed it, I stripped the screw.

    Please provide suggestions on extracting the screw, other than to drill it out. Don't get me wrong, I'll drill it if I have to, but I am searching for a better way. I don't care about the individual link the screw is in, but I want to preserve the next link.

    Thanks,

    Craig

  2. #2
    Member ten13th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    NorCal, USA
    Posts
    4,067

    Re: Just Received BAll EM II GMT

    Congrats. Which EM2 GMT, Aviator or Diver? And sorry to hear about the stripped screw. The screws have a dab of low strength Loctite, so you will need to add some heat from hair dryer to loosen it. You would want to remove the bracelet from the watch head first before you heat the bracelet. Or better yet just take it to your local watchmaker and have them do it. As your record on screw removal is 0:1, so might not want to make it worst. :)
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

  3. #3
    Member Sparrowhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    771

    Re: Just Received BAll EM II GMT

    Thanks, I did run the link under hot water, which should have loosened the Loctite.

    I think it's a Diver, it's got the GMT at the 9 0'clock position with the display in a wheel instead of a hand.

    Craig

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    11,573

    Re: Just Received BAll EM II GMT

    I believe you are talking about the older GMT II (When you said diver it confused me since this is not a diver technically):



    Since the threads are on the inside of the pin shaft I don't know how you could drill it out unless you can drill out the entire shaft to the other link ear. That would take a precision setup:


    Just removing the head will not release it since it will still be pinned on both sides. You may need a jeweler who may have some form of screw extractor. If you can sacrifice the one link you could try cutting the ear off the link on the screw head side, but this will take a great deal of care not to nick the other links. Other option is to pull the two on either side and try and get one or two replacements. Before you do this I think you need to get the right screwdriver first.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator


    My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,640

    Re: Just Received BAll EM II GMT

    Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    I believe you are talking about the older GMT II (When you said diver it confused me since this is not a diver technically):



    Since the threads are on the inside of the pin shaft I don't know how you could drill it out unless you can drill out the entire shaft to the other link ear. That would take a precision setup:


    Just removing the head will not release it since it will still be pinned on both sides. You may need a jeweler who may have some form of screw extractor. If you can sacrifice the one link you could try cutting the ear off the link on the screw head side, but this will take a great deal of care not to nick the other links. Other option is to pull the two on either side and try and get one or two replacements. Before you do this I think you need to get the right screwdriver first.
    Ha ha nice shot of that EMII GMT II. That was my wristshot photo from a long time ago when I sold it. Really wish I still had that watch, it was pretty cool and I believe it was my first Ball.
    Current lineup:
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver GMT
    Rolex 114300 OP 39
    Panerai Radiomir (42mm) PAM574
    Omega 8800 (38mm) Aqua Terra
    Omega 8800 (39.5mm) Planet Ocean
    Omega Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Rolex 116610LN Ceramic Sub
    Rolex GMT Master (Pepsi) 1675
    1950's Rolex Precision
    1960's Rolex Oyster Perpetual
    1950's Omega Seamaster
    Luminox Diver
    Marathon Navigator
    Other Vintage Watches

  7. #6
    Member Sparrowhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    771

    Re: Just Received BAll EM II GMT

    Michael,

    Yep, that's the watch, with the exception that mine is red on the internal ring or bezel from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock. I knew it wasn't really a diver, but it looks more like the diver series than it does the aviator.

    Thanks for the recommendations, I will most likely try cutting the ear off of the link.

    Craig

  8. #7
    Member Sparrowhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    771

    Re: Just Received BAll EM II GMT

    I was able to remove one of the other link screws. I have a nice Bergeon screwdriver set somewhere...

  9. #8
    Member Sparrowhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    771

    Re: Just Received BAll EM II GMT

    Michael,

    Just to clarify, when you say screw head side, do you mean the threaded end of the screw?

    Thanks,

    Craig

  10. #9
    Member Sparrowhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    771

    Re: Just Received BAll EM II GMT

    Quote Originally Posted by mt_hangglider View Post
    Ha ha nice shot of that EMII GMT II. That was my wristshot photo from a long time ago when I sold it. Really wish I still had that watch, it was pretty cool and I believe it was my first Ball.
    I am liking mine so far, minus the stripped screw issue. Sure so wish the screws were hardened steel... I like how Ball has gone back to this style of hour and minute hands on some new models.

    Craig

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,640

    Re: Just Received BAll EM II GMT

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
    I am liking mine so far, minus the stripped screw issue. Sure so wish the screws were hardened steel... I like how Ball has gone back to this style of hour and minute hands on some new models.

    Craig
    Congrats on your watch! You're lucky to have been able to still find that model. Yeah, I agree those sword style hands are fantastic!
    Current lineup:
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver GMT
    Rolex 114300 OP 39
    Panerai Radiomir (42mm) PAM574
    Omega 8800 (38mm) Aqua Terra
    Omega 8800 (39.5mm) Planet Ocean
    Omega Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Rolex 116610LN Ceramic Sub
    Rolex GMT Master (Pepsi) 1675
    1950's Rolex Precision
    1960's Rolex Oyster Perpetual
    1950's Omega Seamaster
    Luminox Diver
    Marathon Navigator
    Other Vintage Watches

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •