Ladies wearing a bigger Ball?
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Ladies wearing a bigger Ball?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ladies wearing a bigger Ball?

Iím looking into the Ball Engineer II White Arabic model and Iím stuck between the ladies 31mm and the Menís 40. My wrist are 6.5 inches and while 40mm is the top of my range I donít own any watches in my collection under 34mm. Curious if any ladies here, or fellas any of your wifeís, are rocking a larger Ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Ladies wearing a bigger Ball?

Quote Originally Posted by katfromTN View Post
    Iím looking into the Ball Engineer II White Arabic model and Iím stuck between the ladies 31mm and the Menís 40. My wrist are 6.5 inches and while 40mm is the top of my range I donít own any watches in my collection under 34mm. Curious if any ladies here, or fellas any of your wifeís, are rocking a larger Ball?

Given the choice, I would go larger. Some watches loose impact at a smaller size. Have you tried one on? Can you share the model number? Are you looking at a bracelet or strap?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hello Kat,
    I know this could be hard to do, depending on how close you live to dealers/places that sell these watches...but you should try to get them both on your wrist and see which one fits you better. I posted recently about a watch I have owned for a while to ask if other people thought it was a good fit on me, as recently I have been wearing much smaller stuff and wanted some extra peace of mind. When I was looking to buy that watch I knew it was near the max for my wrist size (like 40mm feels to you). I was also contemplating the newer version which is just a millimeter or so bigger. However, I only learned that the new version was too big for me after I tried it on. Later that year, I finally got to try on the older version. At just a smidge smaller, I bought it that day. You will know what to do once you try them on. Especially if you can do it side by side. My size conundrum was a millimeter difference and it was an easy decision between the two after seeing them on my wrist. 31mm to 40mm is a big difference and I am sure it will be a quick and easy decision once you see them both on. As everyone always says... buy what makes you happy. Anyway, have fun with it, these decisions are what makes the hunt worth while.

John
    LauraLovesWatches likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

We chatted in PMs on a related issue, but thought I would add 2 cents here. As for ladies and larger watches (Ball or otherwise), I teach at a couple of local universities, one all women, the other coed, and of course I do notice if they are wearing watches and what kind. One thing I have noticed is that many women wear larger watches than you would expect, defying any standards set here regarding what's appropriate for wrist size. However, virtually all of the watches are quartz, so they are generally (not all) rather thin. Many wear them more as accessories, or jewelry, first, as timepieces second--and the watches look quite good on their wrists, where, if a male wore the same disproportionately large watch, it would tacky, or at least odd. All that said, ladies' automatic Ball watches (and other ladies' automatics) are a bit thicker, often nearly as thick as the male counterpart watches, and as a result, often look a bit strange on a small/slender wrist--bracelet and straps can play a role in making the watch look and fit right. So, Ball autos on ladies' wrists are fine, but, not necessarily all watches on all wrists--you really need to check each one out on the wrist to be sure.

Hi Kat, 34 to 36mm steel is the sweet spot for your wrist size. Good proportions is what you should be after. Just as an example, my wife has a 6.5 inch wrist and she can pull off a 42mm Speedmaster with straps but not my 43mm Ball with steel. That is because my Ball EHC AeroGMT II is a massive watch and it just looks too heavy on her wrist - all round steel on top of a chunky watch. Here's a picture of her latest watch purchase with a 42mm Laco pilot watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LauraLovesWatches View Post
    Given the choice, I would go larger. Some watches loose impact at a smaller size. Have you tried one on? Can you share the model number? Are you looking at a bracelet or strap?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    The two models Iím looking at are the NL1026C-S4A-SLGR and the NL1026C-SA that are I believe the Ladies Engineer II and III. The II is discontinued I believe but the III is still available through some online retailers. I would prefer to have it on the bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRogue View Post
    Hello Kat,
    I know this could be hard to do, depending on how close you live to dealers/places that sell these watches...but you should try to get them both on your wrist and see which one fits you better. I posted recently about a watch I have owned for a while to ask if other people thought it was a good fit on me, as recently I have been wearing much smaller stuff and wanted some extra peace of mind. When I was looking to buy that watch I knew it was near the max for my wrist size (like 40mm feels to you). I was also contemplating the newer version which is just a millimeter or so bigger. However, I only learned that the new version was too big for me after I tried it on. Later that year, I finally got to try on the older version. At just a smidge smaller, I bought it that day. You will know what to do once you try them on. Especially if you can do it side by side. My size conundrum was a millimeter difference and it was an easy decision between the two after seeing them on my wrist. 31mm to 40mm is a big difference and I am sure it will be a quick and easy decision once you see them both on. As everyone always says... buy what makes you happy. Anyway, have fun with it, these decisions are what makes the hunt worth while.

John
    Youíre totally right John. I didnít think we had any Ball ADís here in Nashville but after a little more research there is one close to me I plan to check with and see if they carry either of these models so I can compare. And I totally agree, a couple of mm really can make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    We chatted in PMs on a related issue, but thought I would add 2 cents here. As for ladies and larger watches (Ball or otherwise), I teach at a couple of local universities, one all women, the other coed, and of course I do notice if they are wearing watches and what kind. One thing I have noticed is that many women wear larger watches than you would expect, defying any standards set here regarding what's appropriate for wrist size. However, virtually all of the watches are quartz, so they are generally (not all) rather thin. Many wear them more as accessories, or jewelry, first, as timepieces second--and the watches look quite good on their wrists, where, if a male wore the same disproportionately large watch, it would tacky, or at least odd. All that said, ladies' automatic Ball watches (and other ladies' automatics) are a bit thicker, often nearly as thick as the male counterpart watches, and as a result, often look a bit strange on a small/slender wrist--bracelet and straps can play a role in making the watch look and fit right. So, Ball autos on ladies' wrists are fine, but, not necessarily all watches on all wrists--you really need to check each one out on the wrist to be sure.
    Very true timefleas, I need to get my butt down there to try some on. Iíve been told by quite a few guys that the Engineer is a pretty thick and bulky watch and even though Iíve got other 40mm watches they are relatively thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    Hi Kat, 34 to 36mm steel is the sweet spot for your wrist size. Good proportions is what you should be after. Just as an example, my wife has a 6.5 inch wrist and she can pull off a 42mm Speedmaster with straps but not my 43mm Ball with steel. That is because my Ball EHC AeroGMT II is a massive watch and it just looks too heavy on her wrist - all round steel on top of a chunky watch. Here's a picture of her latest watch purchase with a 42mm Laco pilot watch.
    Thanks for input. I agree 36mm is about my favorite size. As I said above Iím going to try and get to the AD and at least see if they have either the ladies or menís for me to try on. With these models being a little bulky it may be better for me to go with the smaller size as I wouldnít mind having a more feminine watch in my collection.

Thanks all for the help and Iíll be sure to update on what I go with!

Dogbert_is_fat likes this.

edited...
    The two models Iím looking at are the NL1026C-S4A-SLGR and the NL1026C-SA that are I believe the Ladies Engineer II and III. The II is discontinued I believe but the III is still available through some online retailers. I would prefer to have it on the bracelet.

Thanks all for the help and Iíll be sure to update on what I go with!
    Now that you told us what you're looking for, I believe that you'll be able to pull it off. I think my wife has the same sized watch as what you quoted. This is what it looks like on her 6.5 inch wrist.

All the best in your quest Kat! Do tell us on what you have decided upon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First of all, great choice! For the most part, the only time I notice a lady's watch favorably is when she is wearing a 38mm to say 41mm men's or unisex piece, and to me it just speaks confidence and, well, I find it attractive too. Go for the 40mm IMO, just try on a few first if you haven't already.

31 to 40 is 9mm which is 0.35 inch difference / almost 4/10 difference quite a bit larger. With the few Ball watches we have, and I have one under the tree for my wife that is a 32mm case, I would go with the smaller size for a lady.

Went to the AD and I was able to try on the 40mm Engineer. While I think I could definitely pull it off as there was no overhang, it was a bit heavy/chunky on my wrist. They didnít have the ladies model Engineer but did have the ladies Conductor which has a square case and I didnít care for the design all that much.

Looks like I may just keep looking for a second hand Ladies Engineer as I think even with it being on the smaller side, it will look ok and I can flip it without loosing too much if I donít like it. Wish they made more of them in a 36-38mm midsize.

LauraLovesWatches and qa_ii like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information