leather strap for ball fireman

Thread: leather strap for ball fireman

leather strap for ball fireman

Hi, I am considering whether or not to buy the leather strap or the stainless steel strap for the ball fireman 40mm.

if my SS bracelet watches get scratches, does it mean that the leather strap will get scratches just as bad or would it be a little more resistant?

Has anyone had experience with the leather strap for any ball watch to smell bad because of sweat?

Lastly, any opinion on whether or not it is possible or recommended to change the pin strap to a deployant clasp for the leather strap of ball fireman? would the strap be too thick for it?

thanks fellow ball watch enthusiasts.

Chris
    :thanks

Re: leather strap for ball fireman

Chris, it's usually recommended to buy the watch on the SS bracelet, as upgrading to a genuine bracelet later on is quite expensive, whereas good leather straps are readily available. SS bracelets can scratch, but have to be mistreated quite badly for any noticeable ones to appear. Likewise for leather straps, although they are cheaper to replace, and a bit of scuffing actually confers a "lived in" look to them.

Strap maintenance is easy. Depending on the climate in which you live, about once a month a scrub with soap and water and a toothbrush and then natural drying (i.e. no heat from hair dryers or radiators) will remove the sweat and bacteria that would eventually cause a smell.
    Steve

that's right

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Brian, your leather strap is pretty much one in a million on that beautiful blue black fireman dial. Beautiful!!!

Thanks for the advise, however, any thoughts on replacing the pin buckle with deployant clasp?

I would say always go for the bracelet option when buying a watch. With Ball watches, it is only $100 more than going with a strap. Buying a watch with a strap and then adding a bracelet afterwards will cost more, as a bracelet along can start at $250 and run into the $1000's depending on the company.

With straps look for ones that are water resistant. Delaurian makes straps along with Kodiac that are water resistant and can be submerged in salt water for 24 hours. Of course waterproofness will probably fade over time, so you may have to retreat your straps. Also since most leather or synthetic straps are porous (sp?) they will over time probably start to retain some odor.

I personally go with bracelets, and usually buy lower end straps that I don't mind tossing into the trash after a season or two of use. Of course depending on where you live, you could get more or less use out of them. Now I have a great Delaurian strap that while expensive is well worth it, and I am already on my 2nd year use and it shows no signs of wearing out. I use that on a dive watch and swim with it regularly.

Now my Trainmaster Heritage came with an amazing crock strap, that I make sure stays nice and dry and try not to make too much contact with large amounts of water.

Thread Information