Looking for my first Ball watch
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Looking for my first Ball watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Looking for my first Ball watch

25 year watch collector, post #2 here. Newb to this forum, but not to watches. Just purchased an Omega Speedmaster from someone on this forum, so I have some skin in the game.

I'm looking for my first Ball watch. I actually special ordered an Engineer III Starlight 40mm, but after several months it never arrived so I canceled my order ;(

My dilemma has been maybe kinda silly. I'm a very analytical "numbers" guy (a programmer by trade). So I look at used prices and try to read future demand. I know, I should buy the watch I love, not as an investment. But, after getting really lucky 20+ years ago with some now very popular Rolex watches, my "wants" in a watch is that it won't lose 90% of it's value if I ever try to sell it.

So... I see a lot of $2000ish retail Ball watches that people are begging to give away for $500 or even less. For that reason, I'm probably looking for a used Ball watch, so the initial price-hit is already factored in.

I'd like to go with a non-black dial (blue or green), and not a diver (have too many black-faced and black bezel watches). An exhibition case-back would be high on my list, as I've had a thing for that since my very first watch (a Seiko Kinetic). Also, since the tritium is the star of a Ball watch, I want lots of radiation (T over T25 markings). I've have 2 adult "kids" so I'm not worried about becoming sterile =)

Any suggestions? Anyone have one that they feel would fit my checklist that you're willing to part with?

Thanks for giving this "newb" a chance.

Tim

Re: Looking for my first Ball watch

I've got an Engineer Master II Voyager. It is the 40mm blue version.
    https://shop.ballwatch.ch/en/vpr

If you're interested, let me know

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    lvt likes this.

Just to be clear, asking for suggestions for a model of interest is a great use of the forum, solicitig for a watch, or asking other members to sell you their watches, is not.

Not much with a blue or green dial, exhibition back, and T rating for the tritium tubes.
    It wasn't this time until now. - Me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fungo45 View Post
    I've got an Engineer Master II Voyager. It is the 40mm blue version.
    https://shop.ballwatch.ch/en/vpr

If you're interested, let me know

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    In addition, this response should have been handled via a PM. You could have responded on the forum to let him know you had sent him a PM.
    It wasn't this time until now. - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
    Just to be clear, asking for suggestions for a model of interest is a great use of the forum, solicitig for a watch, or asking other members to sell you their watches, is not.

Not much with a blue or green dial, exhibition back, and T rating for the tritium tubes.
    Sorry, yes, I was mainly asking for models, as there seems to be so many and not listed on the Ball website.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by teckel12 View Post
    So... I see a lot of $2000ish retail Ball watches that people are begging to give away for $500 or even less. For that reason, I'm probably looking for a used Ball watch, so the initial price-hit is already factored in.
    This statement simply isn't true. I check ebay several times a day, everyday of the year, and watchrecon as well, and the only watch that comes up for $500 or less is one model, the most basic one that nobody wants, and may have had a pretend retail close to $2000, and a few quartz at around $500 that have a retail only slightly more than that--but, it is true that Ball in the aftermarket doesn't fare well, with regard to retail, though it sells well better than $500 for virtually any decent model--figure more like $750 to $1250 for many of the models, and more for something new or truly special. As for your quest of BOTH a T level tritium rating, AND a blue (green isn't going to happen) dial is limiting yourself to just about nothing. I think you would need to consider either black or white/silver dials to get any kind of choice, or skip the demand for T-level, whereupon you would have a few more blue dials to consider. Best of luck.
    lvt likes this.

May I recommend the Cannoball? I think it's way underrated. It's beautiful to me and has that classic look. It's a little chunky, but still, it's amazing. The model is CM1052D-S2J-GY.

I found mine used for 1200. It was mint.

Check.out Nite Icon automatic. T100 I'm several.color.options of tritium tubes.
    I don't have too many watches! I have too few wrists!

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    This statement simply isn't true. I check ebay several times a day, everyday of the year, and watchrecon as well, and the only watch that comes up for $500 or less is one model, the most basic one that nobody wants, and may have had a pretend retail close to $2000, and a few quartz at around $500 that have a retail only slightly more than that--but, it is true that Ball in the aftermarket doesn't fare well, with regard to retail, though it sells well better than $500 for virtually any decent model--figure more like $750 to $1250 for many of the models, and more for something new or truly special. As for your quest of BOTH a T level tritium rating, AND a blue (green isn't going to happen) dial is limiting yourself to just about nothing. I think you would need to consider either black or white/silver dials to get any kind of choice, or skip the demand for T-level, whereupon you would have a few more blue dials to consider. Best of luck.
    Not to debate this, but a few just sold in the last day that were $450 and $466. I see a lot of people trying to sell them on eBay and forums for over $1000, but they typically only sell in the $500-$800 range (some routinely for sub-$400 even). Again, not to debate this, as it's what I've seen, even this weekend.

I've seen at least a few green dial Ball watches, so I know they exist. I'm not really demanding +T25 level radiation, that's just what I'd select for my perfect Ball watch.

Thanks.

Tim

A blue dial Marvelight might meet all of the criteria except the exhibition case back. That feature isn't all that common among Ball watches, to my knowledge. You would probably find a greater variety of watches with that feature using the newer in-house movement, but it'll probably be a while before you see anything with that movement under $1000.

With respect to the tritium levels, this is a night time lume picture of my Fireman Enterprise (T25) and Engineer III Endurance (T), and there really isn't much difference.

My Endurance has a gray dial but was also available in blue. The Enterprise is available in black and silver. The indices on the Endurance are similar to those on the Marvelight.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information