Mad Cow or Engineer Hydro. Classic II.......

Thread: Mad Cow or Engineer Hydro. Classic II.......

Mad Cow or Engineer Hydro. Classic II.......

Morning all, my thread title says it all. I'm in a debate with myself as to which one of these I'm going to purchase. I've already got the ball (so to speak) rolling with my local AD and will need to let him know next week which model I want. My quandry is that I like the smaller size and cost of the Classic II but like the lighter weight of the titaniums. I'm aware that the Mad Cow is a ti case and has a combo ti/steel bracelet, which muddies the waters a bit. My question to you folks is do any of you know the "real-world" weights of either of these watches? My AD didn't have both in stock and Ball didn't have the weights either.
    Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to joining the club and having a Ball

Re: Mad Cow or Engineer Hydro. Classic II.......

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Dude View Post
    Morning all, my thread title says it all. I'm in a debate with myself as to which one of these I'm going to purchase. I've already got the ball (so to speak) rolling with my local AD and will need to let him know next week which model I want. My quandry is that I like the smaller size and cost of the Classic II but like the lighter weight of the titaniums. I'm aware that the Mad Cow is a ti case and has a combo ti/steel bracelet, which muddies the waters a bit. My question to you folks is do any of you know the "real-world" weights of either of these watches? My AD didn't have both in stock and Ball didn't have the weights either.
    Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to joining the club and having a Ball
    Well i have the EHC I and i re-call that the Mad Cow was a bit lighter when i was deciding between Mad Cow and EHC I years back. If you can wait till wednesday 28-feb-09(asia time). I can give you my EHC I measurement(should be similar to EHC II) when i get back to work. But my suggestion is to get the Mad cow as i am starting to feel that my EHC I is a bit small for my 5 1/10 inch wrist.

Thanks Iceheller, I would appreciate that. I'm sure you're right that the weight's would be the same for the EHC I and EHC II. I should also mention that I'm curious about the 2 different movements (2892 - EHC II and 2836 - Mad Cow) and if there's any advantage or better accuracy of one vs. the other. Then I have to decide on the white or black face. It's all so difficult, in a fun sort of way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My original purchase decision was between the Mad Cow (my final choice) and the EH Classic I (I don't think the EHC II was available then). I compared both side by side. I did not feel the weight between the two was materially different.

My final decision was based more on perosnal preference of looks. I can tell you the Mad cow has plenty of illumination. I am sure the EHC II has as much or more.

I would not get hung up on a grams difference. I doubt you will be able to tell on way or the other. I would encourage a side by side comparison if possible.

Two parting comments. The Mad Cow is darn near bullet proof. I chose the white face and I have been very pleased with that choice. I think the white face is a little more destinctive.

Good luck.

I have the black face cow, and love it. The weight is perfect. It has a good feel and balance partly due to the curved lugs. The tubes with the orange arabic, and green markers probably makes it the easiest watch to read at night (jmho). The black face has a circular pattern which I believe is called gullioche, it is really appealing during bright lit days in the sun. Just a quick overview of a really good watch. By the way my wrist is 7" and it is a great fit no sway or slide on the wrist with an accuracy count of about 3.5 cecs per day. Either way they're both great because they're Ball quality, but if I had to pick one I would go with the cow Black.

I would consider the 2892 to be a slight upgrade over the 2836. This is what I've read here and other places. I've had both movements and both keep great time. I like day/dates and many of the day/date watches have the 2836 so I have more experience with them. 2892 winds like butter.

Ball IMO makes some of the best looking white dials out there so I typically lean white with Ball if I'm on the fence.

As far as size and weight I think you will get used to the weight of either. One thing that happened to me is when I went with the bigger watch all other smaller watches felt really small. Now I am exclusively a bigger watch guy.

Best of luck either way

I have a recommendation...

It sounds like you can easily get to your local AD. That's great... a lot of the WUS members don't have that luxury. If you are going to buy one of the 2 watches, I would tell the AD that info and ask if he will bring them both in. I would expect him to say "yes." Then you can get a true side-by-side comparison and form your own opinion.

EHC I weight at ~192.56g(some of it chipped/scratched along the course). Movement all from ETA with one of them additional date window. Therefore additional cost on top of the titanium material use. Accuracy depend on how you define it. But generally most BALLers are fine with their watch accuracy be it ETA2892 or ETA2836(guess BALL dun user the slogan "accuracy under extreme condition" for nothing). I got the black dial EHC I as gullioche design seem to "shine" on the wave edges when you look straight or from different angle compare to the white one. Better to compare both watch personally if you can.

Thread Information