Thread: Moon Phase ?'s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moon Phase ?'s

Hi Everyone
    Well I have my original dial NT and my Conductor GMT LE
    and now need a third Ball....

I was really considering the Conductor Chrono as I saw an old shot
    where there were blue tubes as well as other colors and now the pics
    I see are just green and orange (I like the blue...)

So I think I may have to go with a Moon Phase as its such a unique
    watch in its price range but have a few ?'s

1) How do you set it to the proper phase of the moon and how often do you have to reset that?

2) Does anyone here have pics of a white faced MP in normal light and then a white one in the dark?

3) What does the 29 1/2 stand for just near the top of the moon phase
    window by 2?

4) It seems everyone here picked the black face, why did you pick black over white?

If the moon glowed on the Moon Light Special thats the one Id get for sure! Thats a nice looking watch.

Lastly, a little off topic BUT does anyone have a picture of their HC on the black strap? The metal just doesn't do it for me.
    "Above all, we must realize that no arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
    Ronald Reagan, First Inaugural Address, January 20, 1981

"You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training."
    Barrett Tillman

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun

Re: Moon Phase ?'s

Oh come on...
    I know there are quite a few of you here who
    have the moon phase....
    "Above all, we must realize that no arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."

Barrett Tillman

JYogi, I'll offer what I can here, although admittedly I've been watching this post myself to see if anyone else had answers that might be better than mine. I've had my eye on the white dial moon phase for awhile - it is a very nice looking piece.

1. I believe you will need to wait to set the moonphase complication until either a new moon or a full moon, although you could probably take a shot at it any time of the month by using a chart, and be pretty close (but then again, who wants to be "close" when it comes to something like that? ). Most of what I've read recommends waiting until the day of the full moon to set your moonphase feature. If you live in the northern hemisphere (and I can only assume you do, given that your signature references Kentucky and Tennessee), and if I'm not mistaken, the next full moon will be November 13th. I'm guessing you will have to reset the date and time after setting the moonphase. There is a fairly decent chart showing the exact dates of the full and new moons on page 31 of the current Ball user manual.

Now, as for your question regarding how often it has to be reset, that I don't know. I do know that it varies from one watch brand to the next (e.g., the incredible looking Martin Braun Selene moon phase is claimed to be accurate for 120 years without the need to reset it). I'm not sure about the Ball moon phase, and I would like to know that myself. I'll do some more research and see if I can find out. It probably goes without saying, but a moon phase complication is one that you really don't want to let the power reserve run down on to the point of stopping! Keep it on a winder when not in use!

2. Here is another site that has a photo of the white dial moon phase right at the top of the page.
    http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    A picture of the lume at night can probably be found easiest right at the Ball Website. It shows a black dial in the pic, but the lume should look the same in the dark for either white dial or black dial.
    http://www.ballwatch.com/index.php?option=com_collections
    Now, a picture of the lume of the white dial in the WANING light...well, I'd love to see a good one, as those are my favorite pics of any Ball watch.

3. The 29 1/2 reference by the moonphase window indicates the end of the lunar phase, which is measured as approximately 29.5 days from full moon to full moon (or from new moon to new moon). IMHO it should have actually been placed down on the bottom, as that is the direction of the rotation of the moonphase wheel, and seems like it would be a better place to mark the end of the lunar phase. Maybe it was placed closer to the 2:00 position for stylistic reasons? I suppose it doesn't really matter.

4. I really like the white dial moon phase. I'm not sure why so many have the black dial - they look nice too. Did I read somewhere that the white dial moon phase is difficult to get in the US??? *shrug*

I'm waiting to see what Ball's Royal Blue Commemorative looks like. If it's anything less than amazing to me, I'm probably going to start looking more seriously at the white dial moon phase.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Last edited by Timewaster; October 24th, 2008 at 06:08.
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow, I am really surprised this thread (and forum) has been so dead the past few days....

I know I want and am going to get a Moon Phase very soon but need some help deciding why black or white...

Come one guys, quite a few of you here have posted pics of your black MP so tell me why you picked black??

Of course I have seen the pics on the Ball site BUT they don't show them lume on the white face (and no it wont really look the same as the black, the NT showed us that and its because the tubes light the dial so well)

One thing I am unsure of is it does look like it would be a little harder to read the white face in day light when just taking a quick glance.

Barrett Tillman

TMW

wish I couldhelp with operation, but the ball I have only tells temperature.

The only thing I could say is black dial...usually is to me the more "classic" look...

Sorry - I have not looked on here for a few days so here is a belated answer!
    1 - The Moonphase is set by using the crown in the first position. Wind one way changes the date, the other moves the moon. Once set ( and the previous poster is correct, it is better to wait until a full moon to be sure ) it should stay in the correct position for a very long time. I do not know how long before it goes out of synch ( Ball do not mention this in the manual ) but it should stay pretty well because....

3 - 29 1/2 stands for how many days the lunar cycle takes and therefore the wheel on which the moonphase is set has 59 teeth. This makes sure that it moves once a day and that after 59 days it should have completed 2 lunar cycles ( there being 2 moons on the disc )

4 - I chose the black dial becuase I am not a huge fan of white dials but with this watch I wanted the contrast if the yellow moon and stars against the balck. For me it is a real winner in this combo. The stars are illuminated as well as the moon.

one extra comment - the moon phase indication is correct at full moon and no moon but at times in between it can look slightly wrong IMHO. This is because of the shape of the cut-out can only replicate the moons actual shape and therefore it can sometimes look slightly different in shape to the actual moon. It does not bother me and shouldn't deter you from getting a great watch.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense - I haven't had my morning caffeine fix yet!!
    Regards

Mike
    Look me up at www.michaelseal.com

Contempary
    Ball Engineer Master II Moonphase
    Ball Traimaster Moonlight Special
    Breitling SuperOcean Heritage Chronograph
    Panerai 320
    Rado Coupole Jubile
    Rado Ltd Ed. Golden Horse

Vintage
    Accutron 2182
    Rado Golden Horse 14k
    Rado Murano
    Rado NCC 303 Lapis Lazuli dial
    Rado NCC 404

Thanks for the reply BatonMan!

I am leaning towards the black, just really need a white
    faced watch though... I really think a ss and white face look
    stunning when you are wearing a black sweater or something.

I want a white faced Rolex Exp II but just don't have the funds
    to go there at this time and besides my GF won't notice another
    Ball but a new Rolex will be hard to just slip in like I have had
    it for a while haha

Barrett Tillman

Before you committed to moonphase. The new sleek black conductor with 2 subdials(cannonball looks a like dial) chrono is out! It is a see-through case back. Guess it should reach US pretty soon...
    Last edited by TMW; October 27th, 2008 at 16:27. Reason: delete pricing

Surely Id love to see a pic but didn't they take the blue lume off the dial on that one?

I recall early pics showed a 3 color set up with lots of blue but I think they went to green with a little yellow (or orange?)

I have a Conductor GMT which is a LE from a few years ago and it has the see through back as well...

Barrett Tillman

Did not see the Blue Lume(anyway there one more new band selling quartz H3 tube watch, think it is alexander or something). But the seven is same as cannonball ball just that it is red. I got a feeling the movement for the new conductor is same as cannonball.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information