My problem with Ball watches...
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: My problem with Ball watches...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My problem with Ball watches...

After I've owned one I want more brands to use tritium tubes!

Previously I associated tritium tubes with non-luxury sport/exercise watches (Marathon, Luminox etc.). But owning a Ball watch has shown me how it's possible to integrate tritium tubes in a classic luxury design. Now I feel like more watch brands should be using this superior technology. I hate how so many of my watches I might choose to wear overnight will lose their lume before the sun is up. Never a problem with the tritium tubes on my trainmaster.

Obviously there are still some limits; tritium tubes probably aren't appropriate for pure dress pieces like Calatravas or something, but think about how perfect a set of tritium tubes would be on something like a Rolex Milgauss. Yet unless I'm missing something, Ball seems to be pretty much alone in successfully executing classic watch designs with tritium tubes.
    ancap95, geckobros and TK-421 like this.

Re: My problem with Ball watches...

That is a good problem.

My Ball Fireman Victory is definitely one I wear as a dress watch. And my Engineer III Endurance is a great alternative to a Milgauss, but I'll take the tritium lume any day.
    lvt, wickets, jbsutta and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi

I have nothing against Ball watches, and think some look very nice, but I cannot remember the last time I actually needed lume on a watch.

If I wake up at night what I want is a low powered torch that isnít going to wake me up any more than I need to be. That way I can navigate my way off the bed without waking the wife.

I took delivery of something that answers that need in the form of this MTM Black Hawk Titanium. It has blue LEDís for lume and red/orange ones for a torch.

If I actually wore a watch in bed (I never do) it would be useful. Maybe if I go camping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

while having no experience with ball watches, I don't think tritium and luminova can or should be compared.

in low light conditions, the glow from tritium being fairly soft, your eyes need time to adjust to be able to see them properly, while luminova 'pops'.

however, when waking up at 4 in the morning with 0 or near 0 light, tritium is instantly readable whereas you'll need a lume monster that you'll have charged the previous evening to read anything on a lume watch.

the best dial illumination technology in my eyes is timex's indiglo: works in both circumstances decribed above.
    lvt, wickets and AUTOmaniak like this.
    posted from the back of the food stamp line.

Quote Originally Posted by berni29 View Post
    Hi

I have nothing against Ball watches, and think some look very nice, but I cannot remember the last time I actually needed lume on a watch.

If I wake up at night what I want is a low powered torch that isnít going to wake me up any more than I need to be. That way I can navigate my way off the bed without waking the wife.

I took delivery of something that answers that need in the form of this MTM Black Hawk Titanium. It has blue LEDís for lume and red/orange ones for a torch.

If I actually wore a watch in bed (I never do) it would be useful. Maybe if I go camping?
    Say what? Did you actually read the original post, or just respond to the header? While of course we all have different interests and needs with regards to watches...you do realize that this is a forum specifically sponsored by, set for and dedicated to the discussion of Ball watches, don't you? ...perhaps your sentiments might be better received in the Public Forum?
    umarrajs likes this.
    Less is More...

Don't see this issue as a problem, but rather as an advantage.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I agree with the OP.

Many times have I wished my other favorite watch brands would incorporate tritium tubes.

I do own numerous Ball watches, so am no stranger to the brand. I believe I have more Ball models than any other brand in my collection.

In addition, I have a Doxa 800 Ti, which utilizes tritium tubes.

Here's to Ball for using tritium tubes for lume!

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Say what? Did you actually read the original post, or just respond to the header? While of course we all have different interests and needs with regards to watches...you do realize that this is a forum specifically sponsored by, set for and dedicated to the discussion of Ball watches, don't you? ...perhaps your sentiments might be better received in the Public Forum?
    Hi

Yes you make a valid point. I do lurk in the Ball forum and just sort of absentmindedly responded.

I think there is more to Ball watches than just the lume though. If I needed a GADA watch and had to have effective lume then a Ball would be high on my list.

Berni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hotblack Desiato likes this.

For me, the typical use is I'm half-awake, it's sometime past 3 AM, and I'm not sure what time it is/how much time until my cell phone is going wake me up with the alarm. It's nice to be able to do a quick wrist check, see the time, and fall back asleep.

Before I would need to actually roll over to the edge of the bed, find my phone, pick it up, etc. Sure it's a small optimization but I buy these luxuries for the small pleasures and conveniences they afford me.

Anyway I'll keep on dreaming of the day when Rolex or other luxury brands are forward-thinking enough to equip the Milgauss or Aqua Terra with tritium tubes. Until then the Ball is getting a whole lot of wrist time!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information