My Space Master has broken its second stem in 3 years
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By timefleas

Thread: My Space Master has broken its second stem in 3 years

My Space Master has broken its second stem in 3 years

Before you say it - I have four fine automatics including: Diver WT, and a recently purchased Storm Chaser LE DLC(which I love btw) and an Omega PO. So I know how to wind, seat(back turn then forward etc)the stem properly. I have been feeling a binding in the mechanism when pushing in and out before starting to seat the crown. Any of you SM owners out there care to comment?

The watch is now in for repair at Ball in FLA, I not happy with the charges(even tho it is no out of warranty) for repair since this is the second time. I hoping this is not systemic with the movement.

Brian - Canada.

Re: My Space Master has broken its second stem in 3 years

Maybe you're over winding? Or that particular model has special oils?

Quote Originally Posted by jjlwis1 View Post
    Maybe you're over winding? Or that particular model has special oils?
    Repair center is saying that the tube gasket probably needs to be lubed.

Brian.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I know this is an old thread, but the crown/stem on my Spacemaster broke twice last year after four years of ownership. The kicker- it came off in my hand this week while setting the day/date. That makes THREE times in the past twelve months. As a matter of fact, I got a total of two months wrist time in 2014 due to repairs. My confidence in the quality of the brand and the service is diminishing rapidly. I've never encountered these issue with my Bremont or IWC...frankly, it's unacceptable for a $4K watch.

I think they might be experiencing some QA challenges. My SMO's caseback wasn't properly tightened and water got in. Then, the chrono seconds hand fell off. None of my cheap watches have ever leaked or dropped a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro03 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but the crown/stem on my Spacemaster broke twice last year after four years of ownership. The kicker- it came off in my hand this week while setting the day/date. That makes THREE times in the past twelve months. As a matter of fact, I got a total of two months wrist time in 2014 due to repairs. My confidence in the quality of the brand and the service is diminishing rapidly. I've never encountered these issue with my Bremont or IWC...frankly, it's unacceptable for a $4K watch.
    As a balancing counterstroke, out of the 50 or 60 Ball watches that I have owned over the last 10 years, only two have needed repairs, one for a loose crown, another for a faulty protection clasp--a "fault" rate of between 1 and 2%. However, of the 5 or 6 IWC Ingenieur that I have owned, two had crown problems--a fault rate of something in the neighborhood of 20%--both which cost three or four times what it cost to repair the two Balls.

I think the statements of loss of confidence in a brand, based on one, two or even three poor experiences cannot be taken as representative, but anecdotal at best. Based on the overwhelming satisfaction of most people here with their Ball watches, I think most people can still have great confidence in the brand, while acknowledging for any manufacturer, for any product, there are going to be some "issues"--Ball actually stands up quite well in terms of quality, performance and service amongst current watch manufacturers.
    Last edited by timefleas; February 15th, 2015 at 11:57.
    Balldy and samanator like this.

I'd buy another one.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkingTime View Post
    I think they might be experiencing some QA challenges. My SMO's caseback wasn't properly tightened and water got in. Then, the chrono seconds hand fell off. None of my cheap watches have ever leaked or dropped a hand.
    This can happen to any brand as Peter said. A few years ago the Rolex AD at the Casio Resort we were staying at brought the Rolex Sea Dweller I was looking at earlier in the day to the hotel pool for me to try. It filled up with water due to a bad crystal gasket. Search hard enough and you'll find incidents for nearly every brand.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Banned

Had same issue with my Blancpain. Sent it for repair 6x! Never with my Balls. Actually I can safely say the crown operation of my Ball pieces are among the most precise and durable out there at any price. Not too many $1000 automatic watches can take the abuse of real mountain biking activities every weekend. Heck even going down to a tropical jungle.

Thread Information