my thoughts about the website music

Thread: my thoughts about the website music

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

my thoughts about the website music

I think the design of the website is absolutely captivating.

Im thirsting for an engineer master II now.

However, one criticism...

Why is an american watch company playing a traditional Russian anthem as their main theme song?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a McCarthyist, and I do love the piece of music, but I still think it clashes with the overall marketing message of the site.

Perhaps you could find a tune by a classic American composer?

Let me know if you need help. =)

-Freq

Re: my thoughts about the website music

I played it for my wife, and she immediately said it sounded like the soundtrack to Halo 3, which I had been playing for the last two days. No wonder I liked it so much, and she, well I was playing Halo 3 for two days...

Quote Originally Posted by Freq18Hz View Post
    I think the design of the website is absolutely captivating.

Im thirsting for an engineer master II now.

However, one criticism...

Why is an american watch company playing a traditional Russian anthem as their main theme song?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a McCarthyist, and I do love the piece of music, but I still think it clashes with the overall marketing message of the site.

Perhaps you could find a tune by a classic American composer?

Let me know if you need help. =)

-Freq
    I've always enjoyed that song ever since I first saw The Hunt for Red October and was truly surprised to learn that the song was composed specially for the movie.

To make the website more American, perhaps the Naval Academy Chorus singing The Navy Hymn.

... or, if you want to stick with a Railroad theme, how about "Choo Choo Charlie?"

Once upon a time there was an engineer
    Choo Choo Charlie was his name, we hear.
    He wore a Ball and he sure did fine,
    Keeping his trains running on time.

Rob

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No, the the Russian anthem doesn't sound like Halo3. Halo3 sounds like the Russian anthem. It's like asking why they built the castle close to the airport.

The song is fine, and the site if fine, but the two don't mix. Take a look at Aaron Copeland's body of work if you want an American sound that's BIG. I assume that's what you're going for with the Russian anthem - BIG. Fanfare for the Common Man springs to mind. Speaking of springing, there's always parts of Appalachian Springs. I'd avoid the "Simple Gifts" melody though. It's a fine melody but overdone. Stick to some of the big lead-ins. I don't have a score so I can't say from which measure to which measure.

Ideally, you need something big and symphonic that's mimicking a train sound. I know something like that exists, but it's not coming to mind right now.

Well, yes of course, the current music is not related at all to Ball watches, but it is a beautiful & powerful piece that lends a definite "atmosphere" to the site. I also agree that Aaron Copeland (or Gershwin??) might be more appropriate if the right piece is chosen and copyrights to use it are obtainable and affordable (or even necessary?)
    Chris

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    ==========================
    Collector of Ball, Stowa and Glycine timepieces

I love the music. I don't care if it's Russian or not.

I think it's kind of funny that Ball is an "American" watch company with Swiss made watches anyway. Call me old fashioned I think an American company could make their watches in America these days. But either way it doesn't really bother me. I like Ball watches and I would like them if they were produced at this quality and price in Asia.

IMHO over the years, "Swiss Made", is little more than marketing to me.

It's funny because I was thinking the same thing when I was at the Ball site. While I don't have a problem with the music I was thinking this isn't a Russian watch company, why are they playing this music?

I would think another song might be better suited as well. Even if they still use it, the site is great.

David

p.s. I would vote for Gary Wright's song, Dream Weaver!
    DOXA-AFICIONADO
    Doxa 600 T-Graph Pro & Searambler Doxa 300T Seahunter
    PRS2- Dreadnought, LeJour(Heuer) Pasadena,
    Rolex Submariner, Daytona, SS GMT & YG GMT
    Hamilton Khaki Action Chrono
    Omega Seamaster's 2254.50, 2589.30 & 2538.20
    Zenith Defy Classic Chrono
    Eterna Super Kontiki LE Chrono And a few other's!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. "
    Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865

I don't have a problem with the site or the music, but it just doesn't fit. You can totally hear that it was picked using a dartboard by someone with no musical knowledge in their heads. Certainly someone at Ball has a BA in Music or a BM and would have a wider rep to choose from in their heads just from experience.

I like the site but personally I hate music on websites, especially that kind of music.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Atwood View Post
    I like the site but personally I hate music on websites, especially that kind of music.
    Ditto. Music *usually* makes a website feel tacky.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information