New Ball Performance

Thread: New Ball Performance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Ball Performance

My new EM II TMT is gaining one second per day. That is stellar performance out of the box. Hopefully it will keep up over time. Do they typically become faster or slower?

Re: New Ball Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    My new EM II TMT is gaining one second per day. That is stellar performance out of the box. Hopefully it will keep up over time. Do they typically become faster or slower?
    To an extent, that will depend on how much you wear it and what you do while wearing it. For example, if you take your watch off at night and leave it dial-up (horizontal), you might notice it may gain or lose in that position, and it might vary a little differently if placed in another position (e.g. vertical). If yours is running +1sec per day on the wrist, you should expect it to stay in that ball park.

My Fireman has run consistently -1sec per day on the wrist since it arrived about a month ago - truly remarkable accuracy for a non-COSC rated movement. I don't know what grade of ETA movement Ball use in their watches, but they sure do keep good time (or at least, yours and mine do!). By comparison, my Debaufre (also an ETA movement) runs +15-20sec per day and my cheap and cheerful Orient runs +1sec per day. Obviously Ball and Orient sort their watches before selling them, Debaufre don't!

Quote Originally Posted by Africoz View Post
    To an extent, that will depend on how much you wear it and what you do while wearing it. For example, if you take your watch off at night and leave it dial-up (horizontal), you might notice it may gain or lose in that position, and it might vary a little differently if placed in another position (e.g. vertical). If yours is running +1sec per day on the wrist, you should expect it to stay in that ball park.

My Fireman has run consistently -1sec per day on the wrist since it arrived about a month ago - truly remarkable accuracy for a non-COSC rated movement. I don't know what grade of ETA movement Ball use in their watches, but they sure do keep good time (or at least, yours and mine do!). By comparison, my Debaufre (also an ETA movement) runs +15-20sec per day and my cheap and cheerful Orient runs +1sec per day. Obviously Ball and Orient sort their watches before selling them, Debaufre don't!
    I've made some people mad in the past by saying this but I'll say it again.... I have tried three Steinhart and Debaufre watches and they were all sent back for being a major POS. I would NEVER recommend those watches to anyone. On the other hand, I have been VERY pleased with my Ball watches.... I just wish I could get some more... My recent acquisition of an Omega Planet Ocean has left the old watch fund drained for the time being . For anyone considering the PO, you can not go wrong!
    Current lineup:
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver GMT
    Rolex 114300 OP 39
    Panerai Radiomir (42mm) PAM574
    Omega 8800 (38mm) Aqua Terra
    Omega 8800 (39.5mm) Planet Ocean
    Omega Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Rolex 116610LN Ceramic Sub
    Rolex GMT Master (Pepsi) 1675
    1950's Rolex Precision
    1960's Rolex Oyster Perpetual
    1950's Omega Seamaster
    Luminox Diver
    Marathon Navigator
    Other Vintage Watches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My two cents worth is that I've never had a mechanical watch get faster over time, given that it's used the same way on a daily basis. Over the yrs, as the lube dries up they tend to slow down some to the point that they need servicing. My fireman(20months old) started out +5 daily and is now +2, no problem. My EHC( 13months) +2, is still the same, fantastic. My Ocean 1( 16mos) is still +15 and very consistent, so it could be regulated better but I just didn't bother. For what it costs it's still a very good deal. I have an SeMP 3 yrs old that started out +4 and slowed to -8 recently. The watchmaker regulated it to -2 but suggested that it's getting close to needing a full service.

You guys are killing me. So what is typical of a new Ball? Mine is a month old, and still gains nearly a minute a day. At what point to you take it in for regulation?

TMW

Combat Jump -

I would give a call to cust svc with running fast.

They can give you some things to try and do, as it depends on how you are wearing, is it fully wound, etc.

My Aviator I got this last week has been running at about +6 seconds a day which isn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Jump View Post
    You guys are killing me. So what is typical of a new Ball? Mine is a month old, and still gains nearly a minute a day. At what point to you take it in for regulation?
    A minute a day?! Not sure how you measure. But guess it would be best if you wear it for fews days and see the gain or loss to your reference time. A minute a day sound like immediate regulation is require.

A minute a day is unacceptably fast, especially for a Ball! I'd suspect it might have gotten magnitized, although many of Ball models are protected against this. A trip to the AD is definately in order but first make sure you are comparing it to an accurate time source daily.

I have the Skylab and by the end of the month it's about 4 mins slow. Is that normal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information