New Ball Trainmaster Kelvin

Thread: New Ball Trainmaster Kelvin

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

New Ball Trainmaster Kelvin

Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Re: New Ball Trainmaster Kelvin

These new "models" are looking less and less like anything new, and more and more like one too many returns to the same old drinking well. Looks OK, but really, there are plenty of similar designs in the line up already. Assume that since the case is gold, as usual the price will be astronomical as well. All that, and really don't like the look and placement of the date window. Who buys these temperature gauge watches, and why? ( I can see buying a Suunto or a Casio that have extremely precise digital temperature gauges--but why an expensive dress watch with a tiny dial with increments too far apart to be very precise, where your best guess might be just as accurate...?)
    Last edited by timefleas; October 22nd, 2014 at 16:29.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Actually based on my test of the EHC TMT these were every bit as accurate as the digital. In the lower temperature end since the G-Shock cut off at -10 the TMT has much more range. All require the watch to be off the wrist for a period of time to read the temperature. Based on your point a quartz watch or a smartphone is all you need? Not really a popular position on this forum.

I guess the conversion scale on the back from the degrees C on the dial is what makes it a Kelvin? Personally I'd like to tell someone its currently 300 degrees K at my home. It sounds kind of cool.
    Last edited by samanator; October 22nd, 2014 at 17:29.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

heb

About time. I've been waiting for these for a long time. heb

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    Actually based on my test of the EHC TMT these were every bit as accurate as the digital. In the lower temperature end since the G-Shock cut off at -10 the TMT has much more range. All require the watch to be off the wrist for a period of time to read the temperature. Based on your point a quartz watch or a smartphone is all you need? Not really a popular position on this forum.

I guess the conversion scale on the back from the degrees C on the dial is what makes it a Kelvin? Personally I'd like to tell someone its currently 300 degrees K at my home. It sounds kind of cool.
    It sounds like Ball has greatly improved their temperature gauges--I never found them to be of any good at all in high mountain, freezing temperatures where I had my only experiences with them--absolutely useless for determining exact temps for ski wax applications. However, my point about accuracy is not so much whether the Ball can get it dead on, but whether you can actually tell, with normal viewing, really EXACTLY what the read out is. The wheel is too small, and the increments too wide, to be of any real use in a critical situation--and if the situation isn't critical--do you really need it? If it is critical, why go that route, when really, digital does it better--clearer , larger displays, and your comments notwithstanding, more accurate in critical situations. Again, I think your own best guess will do about as much in non-critical situation, thus, I don't get why Ball keeps making so many variations of the temperature gauge watch, especially in a dress case.
    Last edited by timefleas; October 25th, 2014 at 15:57.

I guess Ball has a lot of these beautiful cases lying around. I think the 120 is a beautiful watch, the Standard Time is a 115 Heritage dial in a 120 case, and now this. Ball please stop! The 115 Heritage and the 120 are special watches and should have stayed that way. I know that other watch companies do it all the time. I just wish they would have left these two alone!

It is a gorgeous watch but I definitely prefer their divers and space related designs.

It is quite good looking and I really like the round date window and it's placement on the dial. I find it to be reminiscent of the degree symbol. However, calling it a "Kelvin" because they put a scale on the back for a linear conversion sends shivers down my spine like nails on a chalkboard. Since the Kelvin scale is almost never used to measure ambient air temperatures it makes even less sense... And the gauge on the dial only goes to 45 but the scale on the back goes to 100...

What really grinds my gears is that the Fahrenheit and Celsius models would benefit so much from a F/C, C/F scale on the back but instead they do this nonsense.

Thread Information