New Fireman Glory lume issue ?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Fireman Glory lume issue ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Fireman Glory lume issue ?

Purchased a Fireman Glory from Gnomon a few days ago. Everything about the watch was great until it got dark.

The lume on the hour and minute hands is a few levels dimmer than the rest of the lume on the dials. I can still tell the time at 3 in the morning but the lume of the hour and minutes doesn't match the images I googled of the Fireman Glory.

I would describe the lume on the indices as bright lime green and the lume on the hour and minute hands as as lighter shade of green. The difference in tube sizes between hands and indices must be a factor but again the pics and vids of Fireman Glory/Enterprise I found doesn't show the difference in lume.

Sadly I can't get a good pic as the hour and minute hands lume doesn't even show up on camera.

Did I get a new watch but with old tritium tube stock ?

Re: New Fireman Glory lume issue ?

Quote Originally Posted by jonno83 View Post
    ...Did I get a new watch but with old tritium tube stock ?
    Unlikely. Rather, your expectations are probably greater than reality--tritium luminosity is usually underwhelming for those who are only used to the various luminova formulas, and of course pictures of lumes in the sales blurbs rarely match what you actually see--for any lume. "Old stock" tritium tubes would have to be very old indeed for it to have lost so much luminosity to have noticeably changed.

Here are two examples of first generation Fireman, with "old stock" tritium tubes, as both are 13 years old, and haven't been relumed. Both have green hands, and while not brilliant, are perfectly clear in the dark, at any time of night--just takes a few seconds for the eyes to adjust, which the luminova watches don't (but then again, they don't show much of anything after 8 or 10 hours anyway).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe that the Glory is a rather recent model, so it's unlikely to have NOS tubes. That said, I don't think you should any noticeable difference between any of the markers. I have an Enterprise, which is very similar to the Glory and the lume is consistent between markers. Maybe there is something wrong with those two tubes.
    timefleas likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Probably useful to figure out how to take a picture of your watch in the dark--some cameras can't take night photos simply because the shutter speed is fixed, and won't let enough light in, no matter how bright the lume is--you need to figure out how to take one at a slow speed--most cameras allow for that option one way or another.

^^^^^

Good suggestion. Tritium is not as overwhelming as most people think it is, but it is good for the long haul.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Like it! Blue tubes my favorite.

I have always been disappointed that Ball uses T25 tritium instead of T100. I wish they would make the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by MLsims View Post
    I have always been disappointed that Ball uses T25 tritium instead of T100. I wish they would make the switch.
    This is of course incorrect--they use BOTH, just depends on the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MLsims View Post
    Also, those are the aggregation of total tritium tubesor the limit of total combined tritium tubes on the watch.

IIRC, T25 > T >= T100.

Ball tends to use te T25 and T designations.

As Peter stated, it depends on the watch, my Aviator Dusl Time, Spacemaster X-Lume, and Deep Quest are all T rated watches.

I would be disappointed if the watch hands are visibly weaker than the dial markers. Something doesn’t seem right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information