Newbie, Aviator Dual Time, changing date do's and don'ts question, please help.

Thread: Newbie, Aviator Dual Time, changing date do's and don'ts question, please help.

Hello all!

I am pretty new to mechanical watches in general and recently put an order for a Ball Enginer Master II Aviator Dual time. Specs list is as an Automatic caliber Ball RR1301.

As I said I am still learning about owning and operating an automatic mechanical watch, but the first thing I ran into was the big warning about when to not change the date on them.

What happened is this. I originally was going to purchase a watch with an ETA Valjoux 7750 movement and was told never to change the date between 9 and 3. So this was the extent of my knowledge about when not to change dates on a mechanical.

When my watch arrived at the dealer today and went to size it, the owner explained how to set it and said not to set the date between 10 and 2. Something I hadn't heard of up to now but obviously trusted his advice. He then proceeded to move the hands from the danger zone and left it at around 9:15. He then adjusted the date. All good up to that point. He then advances the time past 12 and date doesn't change, no prob it must have been noon. Swings it a full twelve hours to twelve again, and no date change. Even he raised an eyebrow, but kept going.. 12 again date changes no issue.

Didn't think anything of it till I cracked open the general issue manual (believe it is a manual that is included with all their watches as it talks about many features my watch doesn't have), and the manual states not to change the date between 8pm and 2am!​ My heart skipped a beat. Did the owner mess up my watch?? Is ball just being overly cautious? I don't know enough about this and I am sad and scared my brand new watch may be already damaged in some way.

So which is it?? 9 and 3? 10 and 2? 8 and 2!?

Can someone here with better knowledge in this please advise? Nothing to worry about? Talk to the owner? Please any advice on this is greatly appreciated. Is this the right forum for this kind of question by the way? Thank you all!

New to the forum by the way, and very glad to have found this community.
    Last edited by Sky Captain; April 5th, 2014 at 06:02.

lvt

Re: Newbie, Aviator Dual Time, changing date do's and don'ts question, please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Captain View Post
    So which is it?? 9 and 3? 10 and 2? 8 and 2!?

If you are in doubt, take the "9 and 3" because it gives you a larger secure range.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

lvt

Re: Newbie, Aviator Dual Time, changing date do's and don'ts question, please help.

I've heard that with newer movement design you can't break the date mechanism this way like before, but better safe than sorry.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So at 9:15 should still have been ok? Why does Ball say 8pm? I'm so conflicted lol. Am I worrying too much?

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

In my 35 years of collecting I have had three watches broken by the AD ( in fact one is the very watch you are buying) for this very reason so I stick to 6-6 for my safety zone. This covers any movements ( some Japanese change between 2-3 am) you could possibly own. Since Ball had over 27 different movements the range covers all possibilities. If you don't like mine use theirs. I know for a 7750 if you change it around 8:30pm you'll break it (Breitling AD). Part of why I like the older Night train and CE Dual time is the 24 hour window and the safe date change indicator. On my GMT watches I set the GMT hand to indicate local 24 hour time when I'm not traveling so I know when it is safe to change the date.

If you follow this as a safety practice you'll have no problems with the dual time. BTW congrats one of my most recommended Ball watches. I change my Ball watch every year to year and a half to try some of the newer models, but this is one of several I would buy again. If you truly need a second time zone this was always the easiest to use for me over a 24 hour hand.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    In my 35 years of collecting I have had three watches broken by the AD ( in fact one is the very watch you are buying) for this very reason so I stick to 6-6 for my safety zone. This covers any movements ( some Japanese change between 2-3 am) you could possibly own. Since Ball had over 27 different movements the range covers all possibilities. If you don't like mine use theirs. I know for a 7750 if you change it around 8:30pm you'll break it (Breitling AD). Part of why I like the older Night train and CE Dual time is the 24 hour window and the safe date change indicator. On my GMT watches I set the GMT hand to indicate local 24 hour time when I'm not traveling so I know when it is safe to change the date.

If you follow this as a safety practice you'll have no problems with the dual time. BTW congrats one of my most recommended Ball watches. I change my Ball watch every year to year and a half to try some of the newer models, but this is one of several I would buy again. If you truly need a second time zone this was always the easiest to use for me over a 24 hour hand.
    Thanks samanator for that advice and I completely agree with you that a 6 o'clock safety zone is perfect. But do you think this watch may have been damaged already by the 9:15 change of date? I am supposed to pick it up in the next couple of days after fitting of a band.

Should I confront the owner about it to see what he says? Should I refuse the watch and ask for a replacement? Should I ask Ball directly? I don't know what to do and if I should worry. It's a pretty big investment and I shudder at the idea that it may have been hurt and I haven't even brought it home yet. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless he can show you the date works properly (advances every other 12) you should not take this watch. New parts should be new!

He can always take the fitted bracelet from this one onto another head.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    Unless he can show you the date works properly (advances every other 12) you should not take this watch. New parts should be new!

He can always take the fitted bracelet from this one onto another head.
    Exactly what he said.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Thread Information