Night Train - UTC Function

Thread: Night Train - UTC Function

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Night Train - UTC Function

I couldn't resist and bought myself a Night Train yesterday. Played with it but could not set the UTC time independent of the local time. Frustrated (the manual did not include the instructions) I spoke with both the Agent and the Retailer and both of them claimed that it does not have a UTC function and that it's really only a 24hr indicator!! Is that possible? I hope they're mistaken cause it is really misleading and the watch dial is clearly labeled "Universal Time Coordinated". Will someone from Ball shed some light on this please. . . .

Re: Night Train - UTC Function

Congratulations on the NT Sluggo! Please take some pictures of your watch and maybe we can look to see what you are talking about! ;)

Not to worry. Someone from Ball will help you out here!

Just trying to sneak a peak of what many of us look forward to seeing by next week! Any night lume pics?

Will do once I get organised. The watch looks just as good as in the past pictures posted so far. Purchase and fitted the rubber strap and switched the buckle from the leather onto the rubber cause the buckle that comes with the rubber is the standard sharp edged rectangular one (which somehow does not match the Ball watches let alone the Diving models). I also noticed that the rubber straps on the dive watches are rather short and that it'll be impossible to secure round a neoprene clad wrist. I made that comment to the retailer and he replied that I was not the only one that pointed that out...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Brian, thanks for the explanation but I'm still really dissapointed as that "feature" was a selling point for me ( or I would have just got myself a SINN). The press release that ballwatch posted is clearly misleading as it discribes the watch as: Movement: Automatic BALL Cal. 124 with UTC function. Definition: "UTC, Coordinated Universal Time, popularly known as GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), or Zulu time. Local time differs from UTC by the number of hours of your timezone." I just wonder how many readers on this forum made the same assumptions as I did. Wonder why BALL decided to go this route as it appears to be a frivolous feature (the misnamed 24 hr indicator) and clearly not useful unless you live in a cave?
    Last edited by Sluggo; October 8th, 2007 at 13:43. Reason: clarity

Good points.

However, the selling point for me is not that feature, nor the DLC, nor the Pilot number style on the dial. It's the 63 various coloured T rated vials :)

I was going to purchase a Fireman blue when I stumbled onto the Night Train.

I think the "UTC" feature was mostly overlooked by most here?

Was that feature really the selling point for you to choose the Sinn over the Ball??
    Last edited by HockeyBrand; October 8th, 2007 at 13:45.

The UTC is indeed tied to the main hour hand. This is following the convention used by other brands, including IWC.

In the watch industry, the term GMT is more commonly used to refer to two time zone watches. Sinn may be an exception to the rule, as the Germans might not like the idea of using a timing convention associated with the British military.

Regardless, all Ball distributors, retailers & salesmen have been briefed that the watch is a single time-zone watch and have (to the best of my knowledge) marketed & sold the Night Train accordingly.

I apologize if there was some confusion as to the function. Did the retailer allow you to test functions of the watch in the store? If not, then that is something that must be rectified.

Regards,
    Jeremy Hogan
    Ball Watch Company

...needs to update his signature line.
    July 08 Newsletter: New World Record for Guillaume Néry, Diver GMT, Aviator
    Baselworld 2008 Newsletter: Guillaume Néry, Trieste Chronograph, Moonlight Special
    Click to view the BALL Engineer Master II Diver TMT.

Ya. The way the watch lights up is definitely pretty nice (n practical!). It's just that I really detest marketing ploys that lead you to purchase and you only find out later... Everything that I've read about BALL has led me to believe it to be a seriously cool company with seriously cool products ...

Jeremy, I was not told about the non functioning UTC feature nor did I request to play with the functions. I just assumed it worked. It was a impulse buy as I was actually going to get the EM II Divers COSC. You might want to take a poll and check how many actually know that it does not work like a 2nd Time Zone. Naming it UTC is misleading as UTC, Zulu and GMT time are the exact same thing and used for coordination of activities over different time zones. I have not read anywhere that UTC is used to indicate a 24hr clock or that it is associated with Military Time in a 24hr fashion. Thanks.

Sorry, I forgot to add that I decided on the NT over a EM II COSC and a SINN was it had all those light tubes and I assumed (wrongly, unfortunately) working UTC feature...

So what sluggo is saying is that he made an impulse buy of ... how much was it? A lot? Too much money for an impulse buy, perhaps? And shame on Ball for not reading his mind, or MAKING him test it before buying?

I understand 100% what the OP is saying about calling it a UTC. I'd would also have assumed it had dual time zones. Then again, I'd also have confirmed that BEFORE actually buying.

I think the OP is absolutely right to point this out. That's what these forums are for. However, the anger can only go as far as the final decision to make the impulse buy.

If the exchange or return policies aren't too good at your AD, I'm sure you could flip the watch quickly here in the FS forums. You should know though, do your homework on these and other forums regarding Sinn's GMT abilities in the newer models. If you don't know what you're buying, it could be out of the frying pan and into the fire... just sayin', you'll want to test it before walking out of that AD. (I have a 356 UTC and love it)
    Last edited by Plainsong; October 9th, 2007 at 00:01.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information