OK, am I nuts thinking like this?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member wschofield3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,767

    OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

    Just picked up a new to me Seamaster Pro and I have a Speedy Pro, thinking of selling the latter and getting the NEDU, blue dial, which I have always loved.

    The Speedy fits like a glove and so does the NEDU, even though it's thick, it curves right around my wrist.

    Why am I even thinking of this? The Speedy is delicate...hesalite crystal and not much WR, and all of my watches see boats, beach and water quite a bit, so it relegates the Speedy to nights on the town and casual gatherings, not much of a sport watch....right?

    Tell me I'm crazy for thinking of selling the Speedy, an iconic watch, for the Ball. I know the Ball is every bit the quality of the Omega, I've had several Ball watches, but I am without one now and I miss the tritium and ruggedness and want one in my collection....and the NEDU has been at the top of my Ball watch wish list for a while. Also, note, that i am, other than Seiko, a one watch per brand guy...and now that there will be two Omega's in the stable...hmmm.

    Sure, I can sell the Speedy for more than I will pay for the Ball, but that's not the point....what would you do?

    Please note that it is not an option to have both as I want just one chronograph in the collection, other than "affordables".

    Thank you for your replies!

    Name:  Speedy 2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  303.0 KBName:  Ball Nedu.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  28.0 KB
    Last edited by wschofield3; 1 Week Ago at 04:18.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    47

    Re: OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

    If it was me...

    Keep the speedy - for the heritage and sheer coolness (I love handwound watches so a bit biased here). The Ball is also a great watch, but you say you already have other watches doing the duty of water, boats and beaches.

    I love Ball watches and in terms of quality vs price they are hard to beat, but that said; If you want to go Ball I wont suggest buying one retail anytime soon. If you can find the NEDU for a steep discount maybe consider it - especially if you can save a chunk of change from the sale of the speedy.
    wschofield3 likes this.

  3. #3
    Member bluedialer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,373

    Re: OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

    No, the Speedy is not all that special really. If you're thinking the way you are, then it just means the Speedy's "icon" charm has worn off on you (somewhat at least; not necessarily completely), and that's perfectly fine. Get something you'll naturally enjoy, not something that doesn't suit your lifestyle but you feel you "should" enjoy because of its reputation.
    wschofield3 likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member timefleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hiroshima, Japan
    Posts
    6,929

    Re: OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

    The Speedy is, I think, the single-most over-hyped watch here on WUS, and I just don't get why. Yes, it IS a nice looking watch, but it does have its shortcomings--depending on the model, it may be a hand-winder, the crystal may scratch easily, it has a tachymetre "function" that just about no one uses or needs, as well as a chrono complication that not everyone needs, can be very costly to service and/or repair, and so forth. On the other hand, it does look nice, runs fine, does what it is supposed to do. I think some people buy it just because they have been swayed by the hype, and didn't buy it because they were 100% "into" it. For me, I buy a watch pretty much to satisfy my own needs and interests, often ignoring what others think about the watch I'm considering. Whether the NEDU is a good replacement or not, that, I can't answer--I do have one chronograph, the Ball Cannonball, and I love it, and I basically have zero need for a chrono--go figure. good luck!
    Nokie and wschofield3 like this.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    974

    Re: OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

    The Speedy is both wonderful and overrated at the same time. I have one! Thing is, if you said you were building a watch collection and wanted a historical piece, then you most definitely need a Speedy. If you collection consists of watches you want to be able to wear on your terms, then I think you are right on about the Ball.
    wschofield3 likes this.

  7. #6
    Member Nokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    22,245

    Re: OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

    [QUOTE]The Speedy is, I think, the single-most over-hyped watch here on WUS/QUOTE]

    +1.

    Your watch, your decision, but I would go for the Ball in a heartbeat......
    wschofield3 likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

    "The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    west chester, pa
    Posts
    1,713

    Re: OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

    I too agree that the speedy is probably the most over-hyped watch, but there's no way I'd sell one to buy a Ball. Especially a hydrocarbon.

    Let me ask you something. Did you try on the ball with the bracelet sized for you? You say you like how it curves around the wrist, but your wrist looks slim like mine and the top right lug will dig into the protruding wrist joint bone. I couldn't get rid of my ceramic xv fast enough after trying to live with it a few weeks. Lack of any bracelet adjustment made it all the worse.
    wschofield3 likes this.

  9. #8
    Member wschofield3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,767

    Re: OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrady View Post
    If it was me...

    Keep the speedy - for the heritage and sheer coolness (I love handwound watches so a bit biased here). The Ball is also a great watch, but you say you already have other watches doing the duty of water, boats and beaches.

    I love Ball watches and in terms of quality vs price they are hard to beat, but that said; If you want to go Ball I wont suggest buying one retail anytime soon. If you can find the NEDU for a steep discount maybe consider it - especially if you can save a chunk of change from the sale of the speedy.
    Good points all around, thank you! Yes, I have others that do water duty and I'd never pay too much for the Ball, even though I think Ball shot themselves in the foot with their recent shenanigans.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedialer View Post
    No, the Speedy is not all that special really. If you're thinking the way you are, then it just means the Speedy's "icon" charm has worn off on you (somewhat at least; not necessarily completely), and that's perfectly fine. Get something you'll naturally enjoy, not something that doesn't suit your lifestyle but you feel you "should" enjoy because of its reputation.
    Your last point is spot on, however, I really love the way the Speedy fits and looks, and those are primary driver for me, especially the fit part. It looks like I was born with it on. It's legible, which for my older eyes is good and if it were 100m WR, I would not be having this thought.

    Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    The Speedy is, I think, the single-most over-hyped watch here on WUS, and I just don't get why. Yes, it IS a nice looking watch, but it does have its shortcomings--depending on the model, it may be a hand-winder, the crystal may scratch easily, it has a tachymetre "function" that just about no one uses or needs, as well as a chrono complication that not everyone needs, can be very costly to service and/or repair, and so forth. On the other hand, it does look nice, runs fine, does what it is supposed to do. I think some people buy it just because they have been swayed by the hype, and didn't buy it because they were 100% "into" it. For me, I buy a watch pretty much to satisfy my own needs and interests, often ignoring what others think about the watch I'm considering. Whether the NEDU is a good replacement or not, that, I can't answer--I do have one chronograph, the Ball Cannonball, and I love it, and I basically have zero need for a chrono--go figure. good luck!
    I agree with the shortcomings which is why I held off for so long, however, the legibility and perfect for me sizing won me over at the end, and I have an affinity for the space program. Conrad was right as I have a lot of "water watches', so at the end of the day, it's likely I'll just sit back and enjoy what I have for a bit, and if the Ball comes along at a great price meanwhile, I'll pick one up.



    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling Moss View Post
    The Speedy is both wonderful and overrated at the same time. I have one! Thing is, if you said you were building a watch collection and wanted a historical piece, then you most definitely need a Speedy. If you collection consists of watches you want to be able to wear on your terms, then I think you are right on about the Ball.
    Thanks, my thoughts pretty much exactly!

    [QUOTE=Nokie;49021655]
    The Speedy is, I think, the single-most over-hyped watch here on WUS/QUOTE]

    +1.

    Your watch, your decision, but I would go for the Ball in a heartbeat......
    The Speedy "over hyped" notion is a bit over stated as it is certainly a great watch within the criteria of legibility and size, for me, and as I said above, if it had WR at 100m or more, I would not be having this notion.

    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I too agree that the speedy is probably the most over-hyped watch, but there's no way I'd sell one to buy a Ball. Especially a hydrocarbon.

    Let me ask you something. Did you try on the ball with the bracelet sized for you? You say you like how it curves around the wrist, but your wrist looks slim like mine and the top right lug will dig into the protruding wrist joint bone. I couldn't get rid of my ceramic xv fast enough after trying to live with it a few weeks. Lack of any bracelet adjustment made it all the worse.
    Yes, I tried the NEDU on sized properly, it just happened to be perfectly sized at the AD. I've also owned the X-Lume twice and the Airborne for a short bit and all fit perfectly on my 7.25" wrist.

    Thanks for all of the comments! Very much appreciated, but as mentioned, I think I'll just wait it out for a bit and see if a NEDU comes along at a good price somewhere and probably keep the Speedy for a special occasion watch.
    Nokie likes this.


  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom (Kent)
    Posts
    49

    Re: OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

    [QUOTE=wschofield3;49023887]Good points all around, thank you! Yes, I have others that do water duty and I'd never pay too much for the Ball, even though I think Ball shot themselves in the foot with their recent shenanigans.



    Your last point is spot on, however, I really love the way the Speedy fits and looks, and those are primary driver for me, especially the fit part. It looks like I was born with it on. It's legible, which for my older eyes is good and if it were 100m WR, I would not be having this thought.



    I agree with the shortcomings which is why I held off for so long, however, the legibility and perfect for me sizing won me over at the end, and I have an affinity for the space program. Conrad was right as I have a lot of "water watches', so at the end of the day, it's likely I'll just sit back and enjoy what I have for a bit, and if the Ball comes along at a great price meanwhile, I'll pick one up.





    Thanks, my thoughts pretty much exactly!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post

    The Speedy "over hyped" notion is a bit over stated as it is certainly a great watch within the criteria of legibility and size, for me, and as I said above, if it had WR at 100m or more, I would not be having this notion.



    Yes, I tried the NEDU on sized properly, it just happened to be perfectly sized at the AD. I've also owned the X-Lume twice and the Airborne for a short bit and all fit perfectly on my 7.25" wrist.

    Thanks for all of the comments! Very much appreciated, but as mentioned, I think I'll just wait it out for a bit and see if a NEDU comes along at a good price somewhere and probably keep the Speedy for a special occasion watch.
    Speedy overrated and owners trying to justify the price they paid. Been there following the crowd and now have the Airbourne and Nedu which I own.
    Best fitting watch I have worn after 100 or so before them. Takes time but I think you know what I am saying. No point having a stupid collection and not wearing them "we all do it", takes time to find a stunner and you have just found two already !!!!!
    wschofield3 likes this.

  11. #10
    Member RickHoliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    99

    Re: OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

    I think the Ball has more visual character ... you are the one to enjoy it regardless of history
    wschofield3 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •