OK So I lost my TEMPER!!!!!

Thread: OK So I lost my TEMPER!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Planet Ocean

OK So I lost my TEMPER!!!!!

I wanted to change the band on my Mad Cow from the steel/ti to the rubber band it came with. I've been wearing my Mad Cow in Rotation with everything from my gold Rolex and Panerai, to Breitling, etc. for about a year. It was hard to get the four screws out, but eventually they came out. On went the rubber strap, and the D*i*D screws WOULD NOT GO BACK IN. Nothing I did seated them. Finally I completely lost my temper, put the screw driver up, and started hammering the screwdriver with a household hammer with the watch sitting on some plastic I had handy. Here and there the hammer slipped and marked the side of my Mad Cow. Eventually, some semblence of scews went into the holes where they securely hold the rubber band. Needless to say, this is a watch that will not be getting re-sold at any point.

So the next day, when I was less frustrated and angry, I picked up the Mad Cow and looked at all the marks I had made in the sides of the cases while hammering away, and then I looked at the crystal which was completely unmarked.

The watch, in the meantime, was keeping perfectly good time, as though the hammering had never happened.

So my beat up Mad Cow is now back in rotation, on it's rubber strap, a look I like a lot. I'm going to order a new Cannonball chrono for "dress up" but I have to say that I like my "beater" even better now then I did before.

And if you see any of those stupid questions that I see in my Rolex forums, like, "can you golf wearing your ?" "can you ride your motorcycle wearing your ?" "Can you wash your hands with your ?? on" in some forum or other, please refer them to this post and tell them that while it is not advisable, at least one Ball Hydrocarbon "Mad Cow" owner can HAMMER on his Ball Watch, and wear it to work the next day.

Pretty remarkable watch, from my perspective. Now change the strap changing system so it doesn't take two screwdrivers at the same time, and a Gregorian chant to change a band or strap, Ball Watch!!! I've still got the Hammer!!!!

Planet Ocean

Re: OK So I lost my TEMPER!!!!!

Mine looks just like this, if you can imagine no screw heads that you can see, and a bunch of scratches near the screw holes. I rather like it. I think Ball might consider offering a "distressed" line.

Hi Planet Ocean,

Sorry to hear that you had such a frustrating time, trying to swap out the bracelet for the rubber strap...and I'm sorry that you had to resort to the hammer. I don't own a Mad Cow, or any of the other Hydrocarbons, yet, for that matter...so I don't have first hand experience to share with you.

We actually have strap instructions posted as a sticky near the top of our thread listing--

Strap/Bracelet removal and reinstallation instructions!

Glad that you found your MC to be the remarkably tough watch that it is!

Take care,
    Geoff

Damasko DA36 Black
    Seiko Blue "Sumo" SBDC003
    Enzo Mechana Sub Hatch
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1
    Casio G-Shock GW-2500B-1A G-Aviator
    Ball Engineer Master II Classic
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Ti "Mad Cow"
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m LE "America's Cup"
    Seiko Black Monster w/Yobokies Anvil bracelet
    Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual SS(wedding gift)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    On went the rubber strap, and the D*i*D screws WOULD NOT GO BACK IN. Nothing I did seated them. Finally I completely lost my temper, put the screw driver up, and started hammering the screwdriver with a household hammer with the watch sitting on some plastic I had handy. Here and there the hammer slipped and marked the side of my Mad Cow. Eventually, some semblence of scews went into the holes where they securely hold the rubber band. Needless to say, this is a watch that will not be getting re-sold at any point.!
    ...one of the most amazing and entertaining posts I have ever read on
    any watch forum - ever....!!

OMG !!! I was laughing so hard that my wife - watching TV next to me
    thought I went temporarily insane

As I was reading it...for whatever strange reason I imagined old black
    and white silent movie with Charlie Chaplin trying to fix his watch by
    banging at it with hammer on a huge assembly line and all of it was in fast motion....LOL !

I thought at first - you were joking .....only in horror to realize that you DID
    in fact use a hammer to bang the screws in on your watch..... I am still speechless

....I guess them Balls are tough though, huh ?

The question is now:
    "are you ever going to be able to take those screws out and put the watch back on the
    metal bracelet or are you going to have to go shopping for a stick of dynamite first ?

Wow. Yea what's gonna happen when you need those screws back out???

I stripped the lugholes on my ti PAM but was able to get SS replacement screws.

Planet Ocean

I'm thinking tap and drill if I decide to reverse out the screws, or possibly .45 FMJ close quarters. But most likely the rubber strap stays on. When Ball decides to ship the Cannonball Chrono I'll get that on the SS band, and trade them off. Of course this presumes I was doing ANY advance planning............... um, err...... well, of course I thought this all through, isn't it obvious??:oops:

But really, the reason for the post is to say that the watches are both tough and reliable and I would have no hesitation in recommending this as a daily wear watch in any field of work to anyone.

I suggest everyone buy one....... not mine as it is a customized work of art.... but a new one.

And no, even though it appears that I am a paid employee of Ball Watch Co. you will be stunned to learn that I have no relationship to the company other than a totally disatisifed customer on strap changing, and a totally satisfied customer in every other particular.

I guess they are tough and usable in all kinds of settings
    While I took my Hydrocarbon Mad Cow for a romantic sunset tonight together
    with my wife, you beat the crap out of yours with a hammer .....

Still ROFLMAO !!

I guess they take the lickin' and keep on tickin'......LOL !!

I got alerted to this thread by a friend (Who has already made a comment in this thread).

I almose lost control of my body fluids when reading this thread.
    Regards,
    Charles N.
    Member of the I.W.J.G.
    Rolex Moderator on TimeZone forums.

---------------------------------------------

Me:
    Ball Moonphase
    Ball Fireman - 40mm - Orange

Patek Philippe Rose Gold Calatrava 5127R-001
    Patek Philippe White Gold Annual Calender 5036/1G
    Rolex Platinum Day-Date 118206
    Rolex GMT-Master II (Coke) 16710
    Harwood
    JLC Reverso Shadow
    Vintage IWC
    Suunto D6
    and numerous other watches from numerous brands.

My Wife:
    Patek "24" 4910
    Rolex Lady-Date 7916
    and numerous other watches from numerous brands.

Wow,

Very entertaining... I'm glad no one told you to wet the strap and put a little dish soap on the pins and holes of the strap before attempting the strap change, as we would have missed all this fun......

Good thing you don't have access to a stick welder.. Or do you?

I'm quite disappointed that Ball does not supply the hammer as part of the strap changing kit ! :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information