Okay to swim with, or not?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Okay to swim with, or not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I just bought a beautiful Ball Trainmaster Worldtime Watch. Water resistant to 50M, with a screw down crown. I have almost always had Diver Watches, the only other exception is my Ball Engineer 2, with a Water resistance of 100M. I have gone swimming many times with that Watch and never had any trouble with water damage. Should I worry about the new Trainmaster Worldtime, and going swimming? Vance.
    Watch the time you have, Jesus is coming soon! “Faith is seeing the light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness.”

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."

Re: Okay to swim with, or not?

I would NOT go swimming with any watch rated 50m WR!!!

Go to the Ball Watch website, and read "Use, Care, Service and Warranty" in the FAQ section. The company cautions swimming with a watch rated 50m WR. The (!) on the chart is their way of saying "I told you so" when you drown your Trainmaster.

Welcome to BALL Watch - FAQ
    jringo8769 and vmgotit like this.

wirebender,
    Thank you for your response, and the link to the site. Vance.
    Watch the time you have, Jesus is coming soon! “Faith is seeing the light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness.”

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

The true problem is not about water-resistance, but it's just the wrong watch for swimming. I believe that your Ball watch is as watertight as any 10atm watches. But they (Ball) probably don't want you to swim with the watch as sport activities could damage the crystal so they might have intentionally lower the water-resistance rating.

Sport watches usually have recessed crystal, often protected by a bezel so you are unlikely to shatter/ scratch the crystal in case of drop or bang against something.
    Nokie and vmgotit like this.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

My Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon is 120M.

Where does that sit?
    A tiny bit better than 100M, but not quite 200M :)
    Seems oddly specific to be 120M - anyone know the story behind that? Cheers.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by kis88 View Post
    My Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon is 120M.

Where does that sit?
    A tiny bit better than 100M, but not quite 200M :)
    Seems oddly specific to be 120M - anyone know the story behind that? Cheers.
    Could be the 120th anniversary of Ball Watch Company (the old one) if your watch was made around 2011.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I would leave the true diving/water stuff to a Seiko, etc, and enjoy the Ball for land based events.....
    lvt and vmgotit like this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

The reason I ask this, if I travel and for instance, stay in a place with a pool, I want to be able to swim and jump in and not realize that I forgot to take my Watch off. Also, hot tub and the like. I have worn a Watch most of my life, surfing, diving, climbing, skiing, and more. This is one reason I have stayed away from dress Watches because of my life style. I also wear my Watches 24/7, I like being able to wake up during the night and see the time. Dislike Alarm Clocks, so do not have one. I like the looks of this Ball Trainmaster Worldtime. I think it’s a Watch you could wear to church, then to the ball game and a night out on the town. Yes, I do have my divers, and guess if I think water activities will be involved, I will have to leave this at home. Maybe not a big deal to most, but it is to me! Vance.

lvt

You can take more than one watch with you while traveling. Let's say you wear this Ball watch for most of the time but when water is involved you could just switch it for a quartz dive watch.
    vmgotit likes this.

I normally take my disposable watch for my travels and not any of the more expensive ones. You never know what you might encounter during your trip, so a hardy watch and one that you can afford to lose is the one. In my case, it’s a cheap $100 Casio G-shock. Besides, the G-shock is rated at 200m....
    vmgotit likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information