At par with Ball

Thread: At par with Ball

At par with Ball

Since Ball is basically a "revived" brand What other established brands would you say is at par or can be grouped with Ball watches and why? :thanks Did search on classifying watch brands here on WUS and came across a link to chronocentric.com there was luxury, pseudoluxury, basic luxury etc.
    Last edited by jaymd; September 23rd, 2007 at 09:37.

Re: At par with Ball

I guess there could be many ways of classifying brands as comparable to Ball. I mean, one could even compare Ball with the likes of Hamilton, for instance - another American 'Swiss made' brand. I am aware of the dissimilarities in positioning and the types of timepieces, as well as the historical differences - but it's easy for someone with a casual interest in timepieces (especially outside the US) to compare Swiss Swiss watches versus American Swiss watches. I for one am quite into Ball and would not compare with Hamilton, but I know people who do.

Others would compare Ball with its history, quality and finish with the likes of Omega. There is an intrinsic difference between the two brands, but many models across the brands target a similar consumer profile...at similar or disparate price points.

My feel is that classification in the low to mid range of the market (say, < $ 5K) is difficult - the supposedly lower end brands have many of their top timepieces priced around the mid range timepieces of the mid-range brands. Comparing price points to label peers in these segments might not be the best way to compare. I actually own one of the so called 'pseudo-luxury' watches quite like them in general as well. I usually buy a watch that 'speaks' to me and not worry about what the classification is - but thats just me.

Clearly, the Rolex', AP's, Vacheron Constantin's are at the higher spectrum of the market where the air is rarer and they are easier to separate from the rest based on price, features and technical prowess :)

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymd View Post
    Since Ball is basically a "revived" brand What other established brands would you say is at par or can be grouped with Ball watches and why? :thanks Did search on classifying watch brands here on WUS and came across a link to chronocentric.com there was luxury, pseudoluxury, basic luxury etc.

I would put them neck and neck with Sinn. Not extreme luxury, but both companies offer exceptional value for your $. They both push the limit of technology. They both have timeless dressy models as well as tough as nails tool watches. I would give Ball the upper hand however for 2 reasons.

1) Those darn tritium tubes. Until you have owned a Ball watch, you just cannot appreciate them. They are the reason why I MUST have at least 1 Ball watch in my collection.

2) Customer service and Ball USA. I simply feel they offer a level of customer service unmatched in the industry. They literally are at our finger tips! I am proud to be a part of this forum and to "work" with them.

Anyway, that is my take on that question. Thank you for asking!
    Marc Levesque
    @MarcTime2watch
    MyTime2watch.blogspot.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Had a hard time classifying Ball when it comes to price, features and quality. If compared to other brands by price I think Ball would be a clear winner due to its engineering. Its the best value for money ive found so far in a watch in its price category. Some of the other luxury brands dont offer as much as Ball at a lower price.Hopefully Ball watches will hold their value over time Thanks!

I join in with Marc re: Ball and Sinn comparability.

There's one additional advantage of Ball over Sinn that Marc didn't mention, Sinn's prices have risen dramatically over the past year or so. I see Sinn as being less of a bargain now.

Sinn-less Rob
    (I miss my UX!)

Thread Information