• 2 Post By reluctant_horologist
  • 1 Post By ljb187
  • 1 Post By Nokie
  • 1 Post By reluctant_horologist
  • 1 Post By ljb187

Thread: Please help me idenfity what I have here

Please help me idenfity what I have here

Hello all,
    I'm new the forum and largly to the active community. I've enjoyed watches for years but only in the past 12 months accepted it was something more. Since then I've been focused on learning the history and appriciating mechanical movements. In doing so I've especially been excited about Railroad watches. I recenlty aquired this on a lark and think I'm pretty excited.

I recently acquired a Ball Wristwatch. Information I have onit is below. I am trying to learn more and was hoping you could help me withwhat I donít know. Iím pretty new at this and have become more interested inRail watches while also having family in Oberlin and Cleveland. For thesereasons the watch and story / history is exciting to learn. This watch is afirst for me in a few ways and I want to be careful with it. What I think I know:
    • Ball Rail watch from 1965 or earlier.
      • Back of the watch is engraved. Evidently it was a gift to employee of the E. J. & E. railroad for 45 years of service. Dated 1965. Name:  IMG_0004.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  2.80 MBName:  IMG_0005.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  2.78 MBName:  IMG_0011.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  2.39 MBName:  IMG_0009.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  2.30 MB

• I suspect it is manual wind
    • May be an early ďtrainmasterĒ addition but not marked as such.
    • I believe this is a Porcelain dial or something similar with an acrylic crystal.

Iíve included some pictures below. When I took off the backto see the movement there is an additional encasement. I suspect that this isanti-magnetic component. I donít know how to remove this safely and havestopped at this point as to not damage the watch inadvertently. How is thisremoved safely? The watch appears to keep good, if not great, time. I believedit to be automatic so it did stop on me but once I considered it manual andhave kept winding over the past week it has been within a few seconds a day orbetter. Anything you can share from identification, history, valueÖetc..would be appreciated. This is a fun watchthat appears so far to be in good shape and I enjoy learning about it.

Thank you all!
    Usafwolfe and Conrady like this.

Please help me idenfity what I have here

Thatís a terrific looking watch. Railroad watches should be as popular as their aviation and marine counterparts. I canít provide the details you seek, but might recommend not winding it anymore until youíve had a chance to get it serviced.
    Last edited by ljb187; April 10th, 2019 at 18:26.
    Seiko Spring Drive was my wedding watch, Rolex Datejust was my anniversary watch, but I call Oris home.

Re: Please help me idenfity what I have here

Hopefully Timefleas will chime in and help answer your questions.

And I agree that I would not use or wind the watch until it has been inspected/serviced properly by a pro.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmmmmn... Ok. That had not occurred to me. Not winding or using the watch until professionally explored. I can see the sense in that. Following the advice of Franklin or The Dude has not proved ill fated for me previously. Thanks.
    ljb187 likes this.

If you're looking for a reputable watchmaker that can service vintage watches, I recommend RGM watches in Mount Joy, PA. Besides making their own watches, they also specialize in repairs of vintage watches. They serviced my late father-in-law's 1950s era Omega and it runs great.

They are also closely associated with the National Watch and Clock Museum in nearby Columbia, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by reluctant_horologist View Post
    Following the advice of Franklin or The Dude has not proved ill fated for me previously. Thanks.
    Ha! Thatís a really clever comment...good one! If youíre not able to get the answers you seek here maybe try the vintage sub-forum. Whatever the outcome, Iíll say it again: thatís a genuinely cool looking tool watch.
    Seiko Spring Drive was my wedding watch, Rolex Datejust was my anniversary watch, but I call Oris home.

Thread Information