Pricing on Ball Watches
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dogbert_is_fat

Thread: Pricing on Ball Watches

Pricing on Ball Watches

Thanks so much in advance for input. I am relatively new to this forum but find it a great community and resource. I am a big fan of Ball Watches and feel that they are seriously underrated. I owned a Engineer II Chronometer but ended up selling it and I somewhat regret it. I have even looked at re-buying this model.

But here is my question. I have noticed that prices for Ball watches seem to be going down. I just got an alert from one online seller that they are selling an Engineer Magneto for a hot price, about half what they were retailing for a few months ago. i have seen other engineer ii's listed for these same kinds of discounts. I also know that my local AD recently stopped selling Ball watches. (I have read some other posts about how Ball is changing some of its AD relationships and this may just be a result of that).

Before I consider buying one, is there something I should know about why the prices appear to be dropping so much?

Ball is a great company with a great heritage selling quality products but I just wasn't sure what was causing this market change in pricing. I thought some of these watches were a bargain before but at these lower prices they are really a steal. I just want to make sure there isn't something i dont know like if there are certain models, years that had quality issues. I also understand it could be as simple as they are discontinuing old models and closing them out.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Pricing on Ball Watches

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanT View Post
    edited...
    .... I am a big fan of Ball Watches and feel that they are seriously underrated. I owned a Engineer II Chronometer but ended up selling it and I somewhat regret it. I have even looked at re-buying this model.
    :::
    I have noticed that prices for Ball watches seem to be going down.... i have seen other engineer ii's listed for these same kinds of discounts. I also know that my local AD recently stopped selling Ball watches.
    :::
    ... why the prices appear to be dropping so much?
    Firstly, welcome to the forums. Your question is hard to answer because I don't think anyone has the answers as it is made up of so many factors as you have rightly pointed out. Then again, many of us on the forums - myself included - are all speculating as to what is the cause of the depressed prices.

You are right, Ball is a great company with a great heritage selling quality products but I think the current iteration is a re-boot of an old defunct brand, so unlike established Swiss brands like Patek, Omega, Rolex, Ball Watch simply can't trace a lineage back to its inception. If you look at the website, there is a whole story about Webb C Ball, and then there is a gap of a few decades of no history before all the new watches.

Then there is demand. Some of the watches are a bit of hit & miss and demand just isn't there. If demand was there, then used prices will not be depressed as potential buyers will still snap up older used pieces.

There is this move to online sales and pre-orders. So instead of building on the brand, they have gone down the route like kick starters campaign and this has put ADs offside. What I understand is that ADs have to pay for the watches when it is delivered so that they can display it in the showcases. How do they expect ADs to make money if Ball is selling pre-order watches at the same price they are selling them to the ADs.? Who will buy from the AD if customers can get it at 40% off the MSRP? This has caused all the ADs in Australia to be dumping them at cost.

I like my Ball Watch and I really hope that the current owners have got it worked out. Maybe online sales is the future and brick and mortar stores are a thing of the past. Who knows? * shrugs my shoulders * ... better snap up a good deal now while you can.
    bmfang and BigDanT like this.

thanks for the insights. when i had my engineer ii i was really impressed with the quality of the product. again, i regret getting rid of it but I may just have to pick another one up. my main concern was, that in some of the forum posts and other online things I had read, some had intimated that perhaps Ball was letting the quality of the current products suffer. of course, on the internet, anyone can say anything. my own experience with Ball was that they are very high quality for their price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanT View Post
    thanks for the insights. when i had my engineer ii i was really impressed with the quality of the product. again, i regret getting rid of it but I may just have to pick another one up. my main concern was, that in some of the forum posts and other online things I had read, some had intimated that perhaps Ball was letting the quality of the current products suffer. of course, on the internet, anyone can say anything. my own experience with Ball was that they are very high quality for their price.
    When compared against other Swiss brands they definitely do have value for money as well as a party trick (shine a black light onto the dial and you have a light show on your wrist).

Since picking up my Ball though, I’ve re-evaluated what value is to me (I now look at my timepieces as tools for use). So these days, I find it very difficult to spend money on a mechanical timepiece anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then there is demand. Some of the watches are a bit of hit & miss and demand just isn't there. If demand was there, then used prices will not be depressed as potential buyers will still snap up older used pieces.
    Very true.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thread Information