PSA: New Ball Roadmaster bezel is 41.5mm
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: PSA: New Ball Roadmaster bezel is 41.5mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PSA: New Ball Roadmaster bezel is 41.5mm

FYI for those interested in the new Ball Roadmaster.

I was very excited about a smaller, 40mm Ball diver addition and popped on the pre-order. There was some discussion on another thread that the bezel was, in fact, 1mm to 2mm larger. I didn't see this from the pictures and there was nothing on Ball's site, so I contacted Ball. Yes, in fact, the bezel on this new watch is 41.5mm. Here is the reply I just received from Ball customer service:

"The diameter of the bezel for the Roadmaster M Challenger 18 (40mm) with reference DM3130B-S1CJ-BK is 41.50mm."

Edit: Must add that Ball customer service (Florine) was very pleasant.
    Last edited by larkja; November 15th, 2018 at 16:27.
    AGPank likes this.
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi.

Current watches:
    Omega Speedmaster Reduced 3510.50
    Breitling Aerospace 40mm - e73562
    Archimedes 39mm Destro
    G-Shock

That's not too bad IMO. I think it'll still wear pretty moderate in size. It'll definitely wear smaller than the Skindiver gen 1.

Remembering still how the bright blue eagles fly.

Re: PSA: New Ball Roadmaster bezel is 41.5mm

Quote Originally Posted by larkja View Post
    FYI for those interested in the new Ball Roadmaster.

I was very excited about a smaller, 40mm Ball diver addition and popped on the pre-order. There was some discussion on another thread that the bezel was, in fact, 1mm to 2mm larger. I didn't see this from the pictures and there was nothing on Ball's site, so I contacted Ball. Yes, in fact, the bezel on this new watch is 41.5mm. Here is the reply I just received from Ball customer service:

"The diameter of the bezel for the Roadmaster M Challenger 18 (40mm) with reference DM3130B-S1CJ-BK is 41.50mm."

Edit: Must add that Ball customer service (Florine) was very pleasant.

I got a different response from another customer service agent,Stanley with regards to the Ball Roadmaster M Challenger 18 (date only) 40mm.

"Thank you for your message. The diameter of 40mm with case and bezel is 42.65mm.
    the length of the rubber strap is 120mm + 85mm ( with the buckle is 98mm). Yes, the height is 13,5 mm .
    The lug to lug size for the 40mm is 47.8mm."

I was so excited and about to pre-order this version. But with that case and bezel diameter, it is even bigger than my Orient Blue Ray and Omega SmP. Unless you ask, their description of the 40mm is misleading. I would expect their 43mm is really a 45mm.

Lesson learned on pre-orders.
    Officine Panerai Luminor Submersible PAM00682, Baume et Mercier Baumatic Chronometer blue dial, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 38mm blue dial,Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sub,Rolex Yachtmaster 116622,Omega SMP blue, NOMOS Timeless Club II,Ulysse Nardin Marine Diver,JLC Polaris no date,Damasko DA34, Seiko SRPC41J JDM, Seiko SARB17 Alpinist, Seiko Samurai,Steinhart GMT Ocean 39, Squale 1545 Heritage,Halios Seaforth, Zelos Mako II,Hamilton Khaki King&Navy Scuba, Mido Ocean Star V, Akrone K-02,Raymond Weil Sinatra LE,etc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Relo60 View Post
    I got a different response from another customer service agent,Stanley with regards to the Ball Roadmaster M Challenger 18 (date only) 40mm.

"Thank you for your message. The diameter of 40mm with case and bezel is 42.65mm.
    the length of the rubber strap is 120mm + 85mm ( with the buckle is 98mm). Yes, the height is 13,5 mm .

I was so excited and about to pre-order this version. But with that case and bezel diameter, it is even bigger than my Orient Blue Ray and Omega SmP. Unless you ask, their description of the 40mm is misleading. I would expect their 43mm is really a 45mm.

Interesting. Even customer service can't get it right. 42.65 bezel diameter is even worse. That's really bad - 40mm case with a bezel that hangs over by almost 3mm. Yikes!
    Relo60 likes this.
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi.

Current watches:
    Archimedes 39mm Destro
    G-Shock

Quote Originally Posted by Relo60 View Post

Interesting. Even customer service can't get it right. 42.65 bezel diameter is even worse. That's really bad - 40mm case with a bezel that hangs over by almost 3mm. Yikes!

Current watches:
    Archimedes 39mm Destro
    G-Shock

It would only hang over by half the difference in diameter, in this case 1.325 mm.

People getting worked up over this is comical. Look at the pictures of the CASE from the back (mentioned in----> this post from the pre-order thread) - there is clearly a very slight over hang of the bezel by a couple millimeters or so. Additionally, Ball advertises the diameter of the CASE, not the bezel - same for many other watches of theirs. It's just how they do it sometimes, but it's not as if they are deceiving anyone. Some manufacturers do it the other way, but it is what it is here.

Picture - again - for reference:

And the specs - listing the CASE diameter:

Quote Originally Posted by jp.vegas View Post
    It would only hang over by half the difference in diameter, in this case 1.325 mm.
    Bingo. Plus the lug to lug is rather short, so I still think it shouldn't wear too large.
    Triton9 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgoffin View Post
    People getting worked up over this is comical.]
    I find this to be an ignorant comment.

Yes, I know this was discussed in the other thread too and I find this to be borderline false advertising. You might feel it's no big deal 40mm to 42.6 or so mm, but it definitely affects the appearance on the wrist, and the way it wears. I have had many watches over the years, and find 39mm to 41mm is my sweet spot. I am no longer interested in purchasing watches that are larger. And to your point, the older Planet Ocean has a 42mm case, but the bezel is a little smaller than 40mm, so it wears smaller. On the flip side, Ball's NECC has a 40mm case, but a bezel that's a little larger than 42mm. I have had a couple of those and flipped because I didn't like the size.

I definitely think watch manufacturers should not only list the case but also the bezel size. It DOES make a difference.
    Relo60 likes this.

Current watches:
    Archimedes 39mm Destro
    G-Shock

Remembering still how the bright blue eagles fly.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgoffin View Post
    People getting worked up over this is comical. Look at the pictures of the CASE from the back (mentioned in----> this post from the pre-order thread) - there is clearly a very slight over hang of the bezel by a couple millimeters or so. Additionally, Ball advertises the diameter of the CASE, not the bezel - same for many other watches of theirs. It's just how they do it sometimes, but it's not as if they are deceiving anyone. Some manufacturers do it the other way, but it is what it is here.

Picture - again - for reference:

And the specs - listing the CASE diameter:

That's just it, their just photos and not comical to me. Which is why I use some of my watches ie Omega SmP, Orient Blue Ray, Rolex Sub no date as a reference point. I have 6.5" wrists. So by that alone , I know 42.65mm will wear big on my wrist. And I don't want to assume that risk. Don't know about yours. But I guess your wrist is large enough to wear it. Good luck to you then.

Post some photos when you get yours.Wear it well👍🏽
    larkja likes this.
    Officine Panerai Luminor Submersible PAM00682, Baume et Mercier Baumatic Chronometer blue dial, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 38mm blue dial,Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sub,Rolex Yachtmaster 116622,Omega SMP blue, NOMOS Timeless Club II,Ulysse Nardin Marine Diver,JLC Polaris no date,Damasko DA34, Seiko SRPC41J JDM, Seiko SARB17 Alpinist, Seiko Samurai,Steinhart GMT Ocean 39, Squale 1545 Heritage,Halios Seaforth, Zelos Mako II,Hamilton Khaki King&Navy Scuba, Mido Ocean Star V, Akrone K-02,Raymond Weil Sinatra LE,etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information