Question: Ball Diver Watches, My Selection Story

Thread: Question: Ball Diver Watches, My Selection Story

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question: Ball Diver Watches, My Selection Story

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but have been reading threads over the last week or so. I was in the market for a an automatic "dive watch". This watch was for everyday use, but I am also a recreational scuba diver (depths < 40 m). I use my wristwatch as a backup to my dive computer and to remember the time I entered the water.

I started my search for a automatic dive watch looking at all of the "usual" suspects: Oris, Omega, Tagheuer, Breitling etc. I then began to find some of the smaller brands like Ball and Sinn via webpages such as this. I knew that a good automatic would be expensive, but was hoping to find a watch to suit my needs for < $2,000, although price was not my ultimate driver. I wanted a rugged, accurate time keeper that could withstand an underwater use environment but would also be suitable for everyday wear.

I did not know about the consolidation in the watch industry (e.g. Swatch Group etc.). I did not when entering my search understand the difference between a "AD" and a "grey market". Thanks to forums such as this, I figured out the difference, particularly when internet shopping.

To make a long story short, I ended up narrowing my choice down to two Ball models: either the Engineer Master II Diver or the Diver COSC. This was based on perceived quality, technology, value relative to peer brands and aesthetic appeal. The internal bezel feature attracted me. External bezels lock up after years of use in sea water due to salt and sand. I used to travel to Neuchatel for business, and them being located there brought back memories of Switzerland. I also liked the idea of an independent company. Additionally, the AD who sold about every swiss watch that you could think of, really spoke about the quality of Ball's at their price point relative to the competition and walked me through features. I came away convinced that the next step up, was really watches costing thousands more.

I ended up selecting the Diver COSC, but not for the reason many would the think, the quality of the movement. I could not believe that the EMII Diver did not come with a bracelet with an extension feature. This is essential when using a watch when wearing a wet suit. So I ended up ordering the Diver COSC with a bracelet (see below...I used this photo, but Righttime was NOT my AD that I purchased from). It seems silly, but I cannot emphasis how many times bracelets have come open when diving or I have had to put it on on a rocking boat.

Thanks to those of you who provided information in this forum, to help a new purchaser. It should arrive before Christmas. I will try to post some photos.

Best,

Bob

Re: Question: Ball Diver Watches, My Selection Story

Congrats and thanks for the story. Always good to read about life experiences and which features are needed for particular needs, in your case, diving.

Congrats on a great choice! Were it not for the silver accent on the bezel between the dot and 15 min mark, I would never have sold mine.

Rob

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i buyed the same watch but with a rubber bracelet.
    I would buy a titanium bracelet too, where i can found it?
    Wich one should be better?

Quote Originally Posted by italiano View Post
    i buyed the same watch but with a rubber bracelet.
    I would buy a titanium bracelet too, where i can found it?
    Wich one should be better?
    The bracelet is made from both Titanium and stainless steel. I have seen it available at many of the AD's who are on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
    The bracelet is made from both Titanium and stainless steel. I have seen it available at many of the AD's who are on the internet.

can you please give me some links?

Congrats Bob! Enjoy it, and wear it well.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

Balls are GREAT watches.
    Love mine dearly.

That being said, I do not understand
    divers watches that do not have an
    extension in the band... Makes NO sense.

Smart move on the new bracelet and I
    know you will be happy with your purchase!
    Please post pics when you get it!!!!
    "Above all, we must realize that no arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
    Ronald Reagan, First Inaugural Address, January 20, 1981

"You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training."
    Barrett Tillman

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun

Quote Originally Posted by italiano View Post
    can you please give me some links?
    I believe that any Ball AD should be able to help you. They could order a bracelet from Ball and size it for you.

Good Luck,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
    I believe that any Ball AD should be able to help you. They could order a bracelet from Ball and size it for you.

Good Luck,

Bob
    yes, but the price here in europe it's 150 £

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information