Question for Ball owners re Tritium tubes - Page 8
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Question for Ball owners re Tritium tubes

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: Question for Ball owners re Tritium tubes

Yours is indeed the second generation Fireman, about ten years old. Your shot is unusually dark and with no associated dial elements visible isn't really a fair depiction of its brightness--it makes the lume look weaker than it actually is, rather than depicting it naturally--by having the background unusually dark, the foreground (tritium tubes) have been darkened as well. Best lume shot would be that watch alongside a luminova-lumed watch taken after both have been sitting in the dark for at least 5 hours, with a longer exposure and/or larger aperture--if the Ball isn't noticeably brighter than the superluminova, then you have a problem, and a quite unusual one at that. Many people expect tritium to be bright--it's not, it is more understated than luminova, especially in the first hour or two after being immersed in darkness, but it should beat everything out by the end of the night--those rated at T25 (such as the Fireman I and II) do look "dim" at first glance, since T25 is far weaker than the brighter T100, as discussed and illustrated extensively earlier in this old thread.
    Last edited by timefleas; April 20th, 2019 at 19:30.
    BHP940 likes this.
    There and Back Again...

Quote Originally Posted by k9shag View Post
    sorry dupe
    I have an ohio whose brightness is similar to yours... If you want a new watch with lighthouse type brightness I totally get it, but your fireman is quite decent all things considered

So does Ball actually replace tubes on older watches? It is stated here in the beggining of the thread but hear different stories searching elsewhere.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, they do, and so do other companies--also as noted earlier in this thread. Ball may actually replace the entire dial, when available, but for older watches, tube replacement is possible.
    monster623az likes this.
    There and Back Again...

Never sell your Balls!

All,

OK.

Tube replacement cost. I've searched for the last hour and have not found any sort of somewhat definitive answer. So, what would it cost to replace the tubes in a Ball Fireman Storm Chaser Pro Panda dial chronograph? If I've missed something in my search, I apologize.

Best

Quote Originally Posted by wgarbo View Post
    All,

OK.

Tube replacement cost. I've searched for the last hour and have not found any sort of somewhat definitive answer. So, what would it cost to replace the tubes in a Ball Fireman Storm Chaser Pro Panda dial chronograph? If I've missed something in my search, I apologize.

Best
    Yes, you’re doing it wrong. This same question has been asked multiple times and was answered within this thread.

Because people don’t have the exact same watch as yours, it is quoted to be from USD$400 up to US$1,000 if the whole dial is replaced and includes service.

Our long time member @timefleas posted elsewhere the following;

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    If they (Ball) have the dial, they may switch it out, if not, then the tubes are replaced. Ball is not the only company that can install new tubes--I had one of my watches "re-tubed" by Bonding Co Ltd in Hong Kong. Wherever you go, the tubes are usually about $20 apiece, plus the cost of opening up the watch--Ball will usually require a complete movement overhaul when doing this, other places will only do so if you ask. Bonding allowed me to choose my own color scheme for the new tubes, Ball will usually use the existing scheme.
    timefleas likes this.

To the original OP. I bought my Ball because of the tritium tubes. Its so cool to go from normal to low/no lighting with no degradation to viewing the time.

Tube replacement for $400-$1000 does help me-thank you. I guess searching for an hour ain't enough. Sorry everyone.

Question for Ball owners re Tritium tubes

I think I may have said earlier in this thread, the half life of tritium is 12.3 yrs. When the tritium in the tubes throws off an electron it excites a pigment making it glow. Bottom line is I doubt you would need a replacement for a decade or two.

I have a Marathon with tritium circa 1991. After 29 yrs it still glows visibly enough at night. About 1/4 it’s original after ~2 half-lives.

Now for a few gratuitous pictures:
    Skindiver:
    Name:  9076CD5D-8880-4465-9BC9-45867CDE25CF.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  1.35 MB
    29yr old Marathon
    Name:  962BEC1E-96A5-4952-AFAA-9A3FEEE55F55.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  1.37 MB

Night Train
    Name:  B93164B2-08C3-40E6-8082-E7AC181A3FE5.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  39.0 KBName:  F7AD51DF-6161-4025-B408-39ADF654A1A1.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  2.74 MB
    Last edited by Sixracer; 2 Days Ago at 19:09.
    timefleas likes this.
    Keep right, except to pass!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information