Question for Ball owners re Tritium tubes
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Question for Ball owners re Tritium tubes

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Question for Ball owners re Tritium tubes

Hello Ball owners, I have always been interested in Ball watches but do not like look of the Tritium tubes. They look out of place to me and honestly don't know why they continue using them with today's advanced lume options. I guess my question is, with the new lume options out there today, why does Ball continue to use these? I have never owned a Ball watch and have not seen the tubes in action so maybe I am missing something.

I really like several of their models, just don't care for the squared/ rectangular tubes.

Re: Question for Ball owners re Tritium tubes

Quote Originally Posted by UofRSpider View Post
    I guess my question is, with the new lume options out there today, why does Ball continue to use these? I have never owned a Ball watch and have not seen the tubes in action so maybe I am missing something.

I really like several of their models, just don't care for the squared/ rectangular tubes.
    To answer your second comment first, not every Ball watch uses the squared-off double-wide tubes; many use very thin tubes or even micro-dots.

As to why one would favor a tritium tube over, say superluminova, simply put:

1. Tritium does not need to be charged.
    2. Tritium provides a constant glow that does not fade over time.
    3. While fully-charged superluminova can provide an initially more intense glow, after about an hour tritium will be the more intense of the two.
    4. The tritium tubes, unlike older generations of tritium paint, can be replaced by Ball for a nominal fee (when I last spoke with Mr. Hess, the figure $35 part cost for replacing all tubes on a dial was proposed as a potential price point.

Personally, I wear my Ball in bed, whether my bed in in my bedroom, in my car, or under the stars; I never have to wonder what time it is or fumble for a flashlight. I also wear it out when I'm walking about after sundown, never having to worry about finding a streetlight. But mostly I wear my Ball because it's a tough watch that can take a beating; the tritium lume is just a bonus.

Maybe lume isn't your thing, maybe superluminova is fine for you? That's perfectly fine. For me? I prefer the reassuring glow in the dark instead of squinting with my old, terrible eyesight.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    Last edited by Alysandir; February 3rd, 2017 at 23:15.
    • Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST.OO.1220ST.02
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

Alysandir covered your questions well. Today's "advanced" or "new" lume options still don't come anywhere near what a tritium tube is capable of, if you are thinking past the first hour or two in darkness. Some Ball designs accentuate the look and shape of the T-tube, while others have designs where you hardly notice them at all (I prefer the more obscure variations myself)--so, there are choices--but it sounds like you already have you mind made up--if you like the look of some of the watches, but don't like the tritium tubes, then Ball is probably not the best watch for you.
    perchjerk, Tycho Brahe and Genebe like this.
    There and Back Again...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ball has a very extensive model line, so look around as some of their tritium placements on the dials are not as prominent as others.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks for the responses. The major problem is, I have no AD anywhere near me...I am definitely not flying blind and ordering one from the internet - I want to see and feel the watches and feel their robustness, hands on. I have bought several quality timepieces through internet sales and luckily haven't made a mistake, yet.

I totally like some of their models and they really speak to me (from a damn computer screen).

Your best bet would call Martin Pulli in Philadelphia. He would be able to help you out. He might be able to email you multiple pics of the one you want. Rob from Topper Jewelers could also help you. I can grantee you that they are not flimsy watches and are very solid. I own 3 in the Trainmaster line and they are more of a dress watch and they feel solid. I could only imagine what what the other lines are like.
    1. Anonimo Cronoscopio Mark II TruBlu LE
    2. Ball Trainmaster Cleveland Express
    3. Ball Trainmaster Moon Light Special LE
    4. Habring2 Chrono Sport Valjoux 7733 Manual Movement LE
    5. Longines Master Collection Manual Movement
    6. Muhle Glashutte 29er Big
    7. Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon Watch
    8. RGM 250
    9. Tag Heuer 2000 Professional Quartz
    10. Tissot SeaStar 1000 Chronograph Diver
    11. Tissot SeaStar 1000 Powermatic 80 (new version)
    12. Tudor Black Bay Bronze
    13. Tudor Pepsi GMT
    14. Victrinox INOX Titanium

USED TO OWN
    1. Azimuth Jagdbomber 47mm
    2. Tutima Grand Classic
    3. Tag Heuer Links Chronograph
    4. Zenith Chronomaster T
    5. Chronoswiss Lunar Triple Date
    6. Baume and Mercier Classima Chronograph 8692
    7. Ball Trainmaster Cannonball Express White Dial

Thanks for the responses. The major problem is, I have no AD anywhere near me...I am definitely not flying blind and ordering one from the internet - I want to see and feel the watches and feel their robustness, hands on. I have bought several quality timepieces through internet sales and luckily haven't made a mistake, yet.

I totally like some of their models and they really speak to me (from a damn computer screen).
    If you're in northern VA, there's an AD in Gambrills MD. Beltway, 50 east, 3 north. Little Treasury Jewelers. Ask for Chris.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST.OO.1220ST.02
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Hello Ball owners, I have always been interested in Ball watches but do not like look of the Tritium tubes. They look out of place to me and honestly don't know why they continue using them with today's advanced lume options. I guess my question is, with the new lume options out there today, why does Ball continue to use these? I have never owned a Ball watch and have not seen the tubes in action so maybe I am missing something.

You mention other options, but do you realize all of those have a shorter life span than the GTLS tubes by almost 30%. GTLS are the standard for high end gun sites and any application were illumination must be guaranteed. The better question would be why aren't more other brands using this technology. I pretty much have had or do own every low, medium and high end diver made. The only two of the current crop of conventional lume watches that can almost match the through the night lume are the Pelagos (which will last twice as long any Seiko) and the BP fifty Fathoms Bathyscape. The ROLEX Explorer II will also, but not a diver. Every GTLS watch will best everything else. By best I'm not talking about seconds after charging(and doesn't it bother you that you have to charge it?), but 1 2 or 3 hours after charging. Not really the torch you think it is? I don't think there is a single conventional lume watch that can match a Ball one hour after charging. Look for all the over time multi watch photo sets that have been posted over the years. After 30 minutes most of those barely register. So again I asked why do others not use the vastly superior technology?
    Genebe likes this.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Our forum sponsor is know for being the best to deal with. Call Rob at Toppers and talk with him. He is pretty good at guiding people to the right watch.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

I have owned a Ball Skindiver with the thick tritium tubes and a Trainmaster with thin, short tubes and love the remarkable lume. Both very solid pieces and extremely comfortable on the wrist. I never found the look of the tubes to be distracting and I actually like the accents they lend to the overall look of the watch.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information