Question for Ball: Are we North Americans getting a little extra radiation for our money?

Thread: Question for Ball: Are we North Americans getting a little extra radiation for our money?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question for Ball: Are we North Americans getting a little extra radiation for our money?

This popped up on my radar screen the other day when someone pointed out that the new Aviator GMT has arrived in the USA with the T100 dial. The Aviator GMTs in Asia appear to have T25 printed on their dials.

Today, I just noticed that the US version of the EH Trieste has T100 printed on the dial, yet Asian Triestes have T25 printed on them.

Are we North Americans getting a little extra radiation for our money?

Is there really a lume difference between the North American and Asian versions of these models, or is Ball putting the T100 label on North America-bound watches when the watches really are T25 (or under)? (I understand that the "T" label on the dial merely signifies the maximum, not the actual, tritium content.)

The bottom line question for this major Ball fan is: When a current model Ball dial reads, "T100," am I really getting T100 (or at least something greater than T25)?

Rob
    Last edited by roberev; October 7th, 2008 at 19:41. Reason: Including North America so as not to offend my Canadian friends

Tampa, Florida and Daytona Beach, Florida

Re: Question for Ball: Are we North Americans getting a little extra radiation for our mon

I'm waiting to see what others say on this (popcorn) but I do remember reading here somewhere recently that T100 means the amount is somewhere above T25 but not necessarily full T100. A rather wide spectrum if you ask me.

I would imagine the tiny tubes used on the Trieste to make the full numbers (I LOVE THAT PART) needed more brightness.

Retired from Fire Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/5/2019

Re: Question for Ball: Are we North Americans getting a little extra radiation for our mon

T25= 25mi of tritium, where T100 means up to 100mi of tritium.

In Canada, they are only allowed 25mi. Not sure about the rest of the world, but it will vary depending on each countries requirements.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by obie View Post
    T25= 25mi of tritium, where T100 means up to 100mi of tritium.

In Canada, they are only allowed 25mi. Not sure about the rest of the world, but it will vary depending on each countries requirements.
    All Marathon watches sold by Marathon Watch Co. in Canada which have Tritium tubes (i.e. CSAR, GSAR and TSAR) state on their casebacks that the millicurie = 26.

These watches with 26mc are imported into the US with no problem, but they are more than 25mc.

These can't be T25 watches as they are >25mc, so can we consider the Tritium tube Marathon watches as T100?

"So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

This popped up on my radar screen the other day when someone pointed out that the new Aviator GMT has arrived in the USA with the T100 dial.
    So this is confirmed? The Aviator GMTs sent to the US are for sure T100?
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by Timewaster View Post
    So this is confirmed? The Aviator GMTs sent to the US are for sure T100?
    Here's a pic of the "cream" Aviator GMT, taken by Ball's AD in Maryland:

(side note: I LOVE this color!)

Here's a pic of the same model, lifted from an Asian Ball forum:

Note that the sweep hand colors also are reversed.

In case someone argues that the Asian picture is of a prototype, Marty is selling a production GMT that clearly is labeled T25:

Rob
    Last edited by roberev; October 8th, 2008 at 04:50.

Besides the difference in the amount of lume, the hands are also different. I would post the photo from the Maryland Ball dealer but I don't want to get into trouble. The hands on the US version are like the brown version posted below and not like the Asian version. This change is a shame because I preferred the hands of the Asian version.

Quote Originally Posted by roberev View Post
    Here's a pic of the "cream" Aviator GMT, taken by Ball's AD in Maryland:

(side note: I LOVE this color!)

Here's a pic of the same model, lifted from an Asian Ball forum:

Note that the sweep hand colors also are reversed.

In case someone argues that the Asian picture is of a prototype, Marty is selling a production GMT that clearly is labeled T25:

Rob

Hi guys -
    my understanding is that the models we indicate with T100 are in fact 100 milliecurrie dials. When it's somewhere between 25 and 100 it will be indicated with just the letter T. The T25 - is used on most of our product because that level is the most "exportable" (standards vary from country to country).
    I'll verify this tomorrow with our resident NRC expert (Dan Hall).

marc ofte - ball watch usa

Quote Originally Posted by roberev View Post
    This popped up on my radar screen the other day when someone pointed out that the new Aviator GMT has arrived in the USA with the T100 dial. The Aviator GMTs in Asia appear to have T25 printed on their dials.

Today, I just noticed that the US version of the EH Trieste has T100 printed on the dial, yet Asian Triestes have T25 printed on them.

Are we North Americans getting a little extra radiation for our money?

Is there really a lume difference between the North American and Asian versions of these models, or is Ball putting the T100 label on North America-bound watches when the watches really are T25 (or under)? (I understand that the "T" label on the dial merely signifies the maximum, not the actual, tritium content.)

The bottom line question for this major Ball fan is: When a current model Ball dial reads, "T100," am I really getting T100 (or at least something greater than T25)?

Rob

Marc,

You're the man!

Rob

Thanks for the info. guys. I completely agree with TallyHo - I like the "Asian version" much better, as I really like the hands on that one. Its really too bad the "US version" doesn't use those hands with T100 lume.

This may be a dumb question, but is it possible to get an "Asian version" here in the US??? One would think its okay to import lower levels of tritium than what is allowed in the country, but I don't know how it all works with BAll and what is shipped to various ADs.
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information