Question regarding titanium Balls...

Thread: Question regarding titanium Balls...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question regarding titanium Balls...

Ok, that title is HILARIOUS, but seriously I do have a question.

I am considering this watch:

Now there are 3 things I DO NOT like about Titanium:

1) The weight
    2) The scratch-resistance
    3) The color

I can get by with 1 and 2, especially since I figured out how to brush finish a bracelet. Number 3 is the problem. Now, on most watches titanium looks dull, mat and dark. On the Ball titanium watches it seems brighter. Is this the case? Or is it just the pictures? Or maybe it's because they mix it with parts in SS...

Thoughts?
    Marc Levesque
    @MarcTime2watch
    MyTime2watch.blogspot.com

Re: Question regarding titanium Balls...

The inside of the bracelet links are the SS portion, while the Ti part is on the outside and matches the case. Of course I prefer the matte finish due to my line of work...

Do you not feel the titanium will scuff / scratch easily, especially in your line of work?
    Marc Levesque
    @MarcTime2watch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have noticed my Ti Mad Cow is prone to scratches (albeit, the SS scrathes too). The Color of the Ti is VERY similar to the SS portion of the bracelet. Marc from Ball (museum tour) said that the Ti Balls tend to take on a light brownish patina (he said that he thought this was very pleasing) over time and that even though Ti was strong, it was porous and would allow skin oils to pentrate giving the color.

Call me crazy, but I think a watch that looks like it has been worn and used for its intended purpose looks good---gives it real "legitimacy" and a certain "masculinity"......and with Ball watches when worn hard they actually get to "fulfill their destiny" and possibly operate in an environment they were made for. If someone's plan is to flip it, then I suppose they have to keep it as pristine as possible, but that sort of takes the fun out of wearing a watch, if someone is going to dwell on it maybe getting a scuff or hairline case scratch or Heaven forbid--a crystal chip!! Just my 2 cents.
    Chris

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    ==========================
    Collector of Ball, Stowa and Glycine timepieces

The Mad Cow I just got yesterday surprised me with its bright appearance. The Ti parts are very close in "sheen" to the SS links on the bracelet. The difference is noticable, and the Ti parts are darker grey, but not dull. This is the "brightest" Ti watch I've owned.

I'm with you... I avoided Ti watches for the same reasons, after owning a few from other brands I didn't like the wimpy feel on the wrist or the dull colour. The Mad Cow is neither.

Uncoated Ti will scratch easier, no doubt about it, but is is also easier to rebrush. Go for it Marc!

Wearing my ti watch right now. I actually notice that all my ss watches scratch far easier than this one?

Was constantly using dremel with polish creme on the Rollie bracelet and using 3M product on the brushed ss of the Breilting bracelet.

I maybe brush the ti casing and bezel on my Panny once a month with a staedtler blue ink eraser. But never any daily problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CalDiver View Post
    or Heaven forbid--a crystal chip!!
    Bite your TONGUE!

Over time 80% of my watches have become Titanium, and I wear them pretty much all the time at work. I have no worries and have not seen any of my watches show any type of wear that would bother me. While any watch will show signs of use, I find that the Ti finish oxodizes scratches quickly so that they blend into the case.

Of course I wear my watches everywhere and am very hard on them. I buy Ball watches like the Hydrocarbon, and wear them. Yes they are expensive for an LEO, but with that expense, I get the reassurance that they are well built, and will hold up to whatever I throw at them. I have yet been letdown by Ti finish, where sometimes I find that I scratched a SS case deep enought that I can't polish or buff it out to the point where it is not really noticable anymore.

I agree, I also like it when they show wear, but not excessive wear and EARLY wear.

As for "other" watches. I had a Titanium IWC Aquatimer, which I loved dearly, but the lack of heft was killing me. Felt like a *cheap* watch. I also did not like the color...
    Marc Levesque
    @MarcTime2watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information