Review: Ball Engineer II Aviator GMT

Thread: Review: Ball Engineer II Aviator GMT

Review: Ball Engineer II Aviator GMT

I am celebrating month three with my Ball Aviator GMT. I am a fan of pilot style watches and also was looking for something with a light dial.
    The first Aviator at 46mm, was just a tad too big, so when the GMT came out at 44mm, I was excited.

This soon became my third Ball Watch, fifth if you count my Vintage Trainmaster and Liz’ Trainmaster Sixty Seconds Model.
    Below is my review of the Ball Engineer Master II Aviator GMT.

Case/Crown: At 44mm, the case is substantial without being overpowering on my 6.5 inch wrist. Like all Ball watches, the fit and finish are perfect!

The screw in crown is operates very smoothly, making it a pleasure to operate.

The caseback is solid, and features a classic Ball scene on the back (the non GMT Aviator features a different case back with a Wright Brothers Motif-I believe later GMT’s are also being shipped with this caseback.)

The dial is a beautiful cream color, which is just stunning when the sunlight hits it and equally stunning at night. For those who are fans of a simple, clutter free dial, this one is a winner!

The show continues in the evening. With 13 tritium gas tubes, each filled to the US legal limit of just under 100 millicures, this is the brightest watch I have ever encountered over the course of an evening. Tritium Tubed watches have long been noted for their “staying power,” but some felt that they couldn't’t compete with SL for initial lume. Well, with the Aviator Model, Ball has addressed that and within mere minutes, the watch is brighter than any SL watch. The additional “power” also makes the watch a breeze to read in low light conditions.

The ETA 2893 supplies the power for the Aviator GMT. As I said in the review of my Sinn 857, it is my opinion that the 289x series ETA's are among the finest mass produced movements ever made.” Like all 289x movements I have encountered, accuracy is very consistent throughout all positions.

The watch comes with a classic one button Flieger strap which took a little time to break in, but with the help of a special solution from a friend it is now soft as butter.
    The Aviator GMT provides a slight twist on the classic Flieger design and fits very well in my collection. All aspects of the watch are finished flawlessly, and every dial marker is precise. Balls world famous lume is on evidence here, and this is their brightest watch to date! I am delighted with my Aviator GMT!
    Last edited by scottw44; January 4th, 2009 at 08:56.
    kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

Re: Review: Ball Engineer II Aviator GMT

Thanks for a great review
    I agree with you that the Aviator is a little big for some of us at 46mm which is why I'm trying to sell my Aviator so that I can get the 44mm GMT - even though I have no use for the GMT function
    The Lume is the highlight of these watches though
    Thanks again for review and pics and enjoy the watch

Thanks Scott for the review. It's always great to read about people being happy with their decisions when it comes to purchases of new pieces. Would be great to see a pic of the caseback if you think of it the next time you are taking some shots. Also curious about your friend's solution for breaking in thicker leather straps.

Glad to see you are enjoying it!

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the review and pics. Scott

That watch right there is my grail and hope to have one by this summer

Thanks for the review!

Now that my White Train is gone, this GMT is seriously on my radar screen. I'm going to wait until Basel, to give Ball a final chance to release the Royal Blue. If not, I'm probably going to get the white GMT.

I wish someone would try to fit an OEM Ball bracelet on it and report to us.

Rob

thanx everyone for your kind words. I was up tonite so I took a pic of the case back and a new lume shot:

kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

Great detailed review, Scott. Thanks and keep enjoying it.

Best, Lewis

Thread Information