Roadmaster Icebreaker thoughts
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Roadmaster Icebreaker thoughts

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    What are everyone's thoughts on the new Roadmaster Icebreaker up for pre-order? It seems to have gotten mixed reviews so far in the comments I've seen here and elsewhere.

To me, it is Ball's best, most complete effort in design in a very long time. It is pretty much the watch I've been waiting on from them for a long time. In terms of the case and bracelet, they took the Roadmaster design and refined it completely. It just flows really well, and has a cool industrial look with sharp, flowing lines.

The dial also is really nicely thought out. It's balanced and simple with a really cool power reserve indicator. And the handset actually feels like it was made to match the overall case/bracelet design! What a concept. Everything seems to have been carefully thought out and designed with purpose.

I know it's just an online render, but l can find very little to quibble with on this one. Perhaps it would be nice to have the in house movement as an option. Only problem is, what color to get?
    Name:  FB_IMG_1564024063702_1564025352764.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  245.8 KBName:  FB_IMG_1564024040230_1564025373430.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  168.8 KB
    John Price likes this.

Re: Roadmaster Icebreaker thoughts

It's nice looking, however, Ball's prices are creeping up on pre order, much closer to what the retail will be, so the deals, other than on gray market, are dissipating.

Honestly, if I have to pay that close to retail, there are many other watches I'd consider before this.
    bluedialer likes this.

I really like it... I was on the cusp of ordering this one when I found out I would likely have to pay tax twice (don't know whats up with that). Then the pre-ordering price makes no sense.

I have to agree that the retail price puts it in a different league and I would also start considering some other watches (...and some other one's in the Ball stable)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I almost love the look of the lug/case transition. Just feels as though they chickened out at the last minute though rather than following through with the execution of that.
    John Price likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I generally like it but don't like the way they did the power reserve--rather unbalanced design, also, the tritium tubes on the hands look almost the same size in the first picture, which is a straight on direct shot--that factor alone could be a major problem.

I like it a lot but they should've used the new movement with an 80 hour power reserve.
    Last edited by Igorek; July 25th, 2019 at 18:22.

Would be nice w/o the cyclops, IMHO.

I also agree and don't like the PR indicator within that dial design.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I like it - reminds me of the Zenith Defy somewhat, or the IWC Ingenieur. If it's anything like the Balls I've had in the past, I'm sure it'll be well made too. But, for me, it's just a bit too expensive. Perhaps I'll hunt one down on the used market in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by John Price View Post
    I like it - reminds me of the Zenith Defy somewhat, or the IWC Ingenieur. If it's anything like the Balls I've had in the past, I'm sure it'll be well made too. But, for me, it's just a bit too expensive. Perhaps I'll hunt one down on the used market in the future.
    It does remind me a bit of those two watches. To me, it Ball's entry into the world of the luxury sports watches with integrated (or integrated-looking) bracelets like the Royal Oak or Nautilus, although of course in a much lower tier. In a similar price point would be the Pelton Perseus or Maurice Lacroix Aikon. I think the Ball compares quite favorably to those, and I would take it over either.
    John Price likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Igorek View Post
    I like it a lot but they should've used the new movement with an 80 hour power reserve.
    Agreed on that point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information