Rubber strap change issue on my hydrocarbon
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dogbert_is_fat

Thread: Rubber strap change issue on my hydrocarbon

Rubber strap change issue on my hydrocarbon

I've already read the strap changing sticky and understand how remove the bars. What I can't seem to figure out is how to get the OEM rubber strap lined up on my ball engineer hydrocarbon. If I get the holes lined up the end pieces can not be pushed down into place flush against the case. If I push them down first I cannot figure out how to get the holes lined up well enough to get the bars though. Is it possible I'm using the wrong strap? It looks like it's made for this watch but seems to require a special tool maybe? Thanks for any assistance.

Re: Rubber strap change issue on my hydrocarbon

Quote Originally Posted by djwishbone View Post
    What I can't seem to figure out is how to get the OEM rubber strap lined up on my ball engineer hydrocarbon. If I get the holes lined up the end pieces can not be pushed down into place flush against the case. If I push them down first I cannot figure out how to get the holes lined up well enough to get the bars though..
    It’s a pain in the backside to put the rubber strap in. There’s a technique to getting it right.

I have an EHC and it is as easy as what you envisaged but the twin screw holes are slightly offset making it very hard to line up.

The notch in the case and end of the rubber strap needs to be properly seated as well.

The bracelet end link pins consist of a pin and a small screw. My advice is to put the pin closest to the case in first and then use it to pivot the strap to line the outer hole and insert the pin when the holes align. Doing it against a white background or backlight is also helpful.

Do note that the pins are slightly different lengths so don’t mix them up. The ones on the inside are 1mm longer. You wouldn’t be able to screw the end screws in if you mixed them up as the small screw’s threaded part wouldn’t meet the internal thread of the pin.

Some jiggling, push and pull is required to line the holes up.
    Nokie likes this.

Thanks for the response. I just cannot get that closest pin all the way through. Lining it up once the rubber is properly seated is definitely an extremely difficult process. I've never run across one so tough.

Good call on the different sizes though, they look exactly the same to me. I'll pull them out again and measure. I've bent the crap out of some of the pins trying to force the rubber to line up though so I'll probably need to order some new ones if I bent the longer set.
    Last edited by djwishbone; September 24th, 2019 at 19:35.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the response. I just cannot get that closest pin all the way through. Lining it up once the rubber is properly seated is definitely an extremely difficult process. I've never run across one so tough.

Good call on the different sizes though, they look exactly the same to me. I'll pull them out again and measure. I've bent the crap out of some of the pins trying to force the rubber to line up though so I'll probably need to order some new ones if I bent the longer set.
    You’ve used too much force if you bent the tubes. The friction of the rubber acting on the sides of the tubes doesn’t help as well. I didn’t do it but you could try coating your tubes with a thin layer of watch movement oil. Might help with ease of inserting the tubes.

Like yours, my tubes were all the same length but I lost one screw after I done the swap. Forgot to put Loctite on it and one of the screws dropped out when I was outdoors.

Called my AD to buy a new set of tubes and screws. Paid AUD$40 for them and found that a pair was longer than the other. Called them back to enquire if they sent me the wrong set but was told that the longer ones were meant for the hole closest the case. Made sense because of the case shape, i.e. the length of the inner hole is longer than the outer one when viewed from the top of the case.

Funny thing is that after all that effort, I went back to the steel bracelet after 6 months and AUD$40 later. LOL.

They just don't line up anywhere near where they should. I was able to get the two in furthest from the case in, so I'm just using one bar at this point. I've fought quite a bit with these and see no way to get both in. It's not a matter of just alignment or rubber friction. Maybe manufacturing issue? I'm really not sure at this point but the rubber does not compress enough to line up the closest hole all the way across. I've done customizations and changed out all kinds of straps on other watches. This one has definitely bested me.

As for different lengths. That still seems odd to me. See the following picture. Mine is actually drilled to the same length regardless of thickness.

https://imgur.com/a/MUtzhn0

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    You’ve used too much force if you bent the tubes. The friction of the rubber acting on the sides of the tubes doesn’t help as well. I didn’t do it but you could try coating your tubes with a thin layer of watch movement oil. Might help with ease of inserting the tubes.

Like yours, my tubes were all the same length but I lost one screw after I done the swap. Forgot to put Loctite on it and one of the screws dropped out when I was outdoors.

Called my AD to buy a new set of tubes and screws. Paid AUD$40 for them and found that a pair was longer than the other. Called them back to enquire if they sent me the wrong set but was told that the longer ones were meant for the hole closest the case. Made sense because of the case shape, i.e. the length of the inner hole is longer than the outer one when viewed from the top of the case.

Funny thing is that after all that effort, I went back to the steel bracelet after 6 months and AUD$40 later. LOL.

<snip>
    They just don't line up anywhere near where they should. I was able to get the two in furthest from the case in, so I'm just using one bar at this point.
    ::
    It's not a matter of just alignment or rubber friction. Maybe manufacturing issue? I'm really not sure at this point but the rubber does not compress enough to line up the closest hole all the way across.
    I've done customizations and changed out all kinds....This one has definitely bested me.
    As for different lengths. That still seems odd to me. See the following picture. Mine is actually drilled to the same length regardless of thickness.
    In my initial response, I did say that the holes are slightly offset. I think it was hard to get the rubber moulding done precisely which is a bummer when you’ve got two holes to try to line up.

You’re right, it is hard to compress the rubber near the case to get that stupid hole to line up but compress I did. There’s a nib in the rubber that slots into the notch on the case side. That one is a challenge as the rubber bib deforms and creates a resistance to insert the rubber fully.

You know what?. I almost dropped the watch head as it slipped out of my butter fingers and skidded across the table!

As for tube lengths, mine are the same lengths but Ball (in Switzerland) provided the part numbers to my AD which was what they sent me. Who am I to argue with them?

Anyway, enjoy your rubber strap. You’ll soon go back to bracelet as I did and that is another challenge....

I originally thought the intended way was to not line up the notch on the end of the strap and then push it down into place. If I do that I can get both holes to align easily. Which means that they obviously are capable. However, I can see no way to push that down to "lock" into place if that makes sense. Anyway, thanks for all the responses. For now I'm enjoying it, not sure if I'll go back or not. It makes the watch significantly lighter. That bracelet is an anchor!

... What I can't seem to figure out is how to get the OEM rubber strap lined up on my ball engineer hydrocarbon. If I get the holes lined up the end pieces can not be pushed down into place flush against the case. If I push them down first I cannot figure out how to get the holes lined up well enough to get the bars though. Is it possible I'm using the wrong strap? It looks like it's made for this watch but seems to require a special tool maybe? Thanks for any assistance.
    I think it is possible you've got the wrong strap. I recently contacted Ball directly to ask if there was a particular rubber strap for a hydrocarbon I just bought, and the customer service guy said:

"The lug width of this model is 21mm. However, we only have one rubber strap for this model as the lug is particular. The Rubber strap for this model is BRMPBB21D2136"

So it's possible that the two holes in your strap are for a different watch and will never line up correctly.

I'd recommend emailing "info at ballwatch.ch" , give them the full model number of your watch and what you need, and they should get back to you with the exact model strap you need so at least you can confirm if you should keep beating your head against the problem. They got back to me in under 24hrs.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhmr21 View Post
    I think it is possible you've got the wrong strap. I recently contacted Ball directly to ask if there was a particular rubber strap for a hydrocarbon I just bought, and the customer service guy said:

"The lug width of this model is 21mm. However, we only have one rubber strap for this model as the lug is particular. The Rubber strap for this model is BRMPBB21D2136"

So it's possible that the two holes in your strap are for a different watch and will never line up correctly.

I'd recommend emailing "info at ballwatch.ch" , give them the full model number of your watch and what you need, and they should get back to you with the exact model strap you need so at least you can confirm if you should keep beating your head against the problem. They got back to me in under 24hrs.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the response. It's an absolute possibility that I have a the wrong strap. I'll reach out to them.

^^^ Yeah, never occurred to me that you could have the wrong strap for that.

Thread Information