Scratched Hand after Service-what would you do??
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Scratched Hand after Service-what would you do??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Scratched Hand after Service-what would you do??

So, I sent my Ball Watch back for serving in August to the Authorized Service Center near me in the Chicago area. It wasn't a terrible experience dealing with them overall, though their communication really sucked... that's beside the point however.

I opened my box and took out my long awaited watch, finally back home! I noticed something on the seconds hand that just drew my eye to it.... it looked at first like a little bit of adhesive or something, then I noticed more markings around the center of the hands. I took a closer look under a scope that I have at work and it looks like the hands were just scratched up like crazy during the service process...

So, the question to you all: What would you do about this? Is this a normal part of getting a watch serviced? I've had this watch serviced in the past by a local maker and it came back perfect. I send it to the Ball Authorized service center, and I get it back more scratched up than it left... and the hands none the less... I can't do anything about those.... Curious what you guys think, what experiences you've had, and if that's acceptable in your opinion or if you would complain to the service center.

Photos for your thoughts:

Re: Scratched Hand after Service-what would you do??

Send it back. Unacceptable.

EHV

Agree 100%. Sadly, this seems to be a frequent occurrence among all brands these days and the reason I always hesitate for service unless absolutely necessary.

I have to wonder if these corporations/ service centers realize that not only are they losing money and time correcting these issues but also losing money from peoples hesitation to send their watches in unless it's a warranty issue or it's been so long that the watch is not working properly. I would think that routine service would be a great source of revenue and if you continually provided exemplary service, people would gladly do what is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantumleap View Post
    Send it back. Unacceptable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would send it back but you must be able to document it to their satisfaction, not "your word versus theirs"--you need to have pictures that can be legitimately shown as what it looked like before it was sent, and what it looks like after it got back. I had to do something similar with Omega, where they scratched the edge of the dial--and had the pictures to prove it, and it got taken care of--stuff happens with any brand--good luck.
    lvt and Nokie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    I would send it back but you must be able to document it to their satisfaction, not "your word versus theirs"--you need to have pictures that can be legitimately shown as what it looked like before it was sent, and what it looks like after it got back. I had to do something similar with Omega, where they scratched the edge of the dial--and had the pictures to prove it, and it got taken care of--stuff happens with any brand--good luck.
    Sure, as a sanity check, I've been looking for photos to make sure I wasn't losing it. Luckily I'm not.

I would think it's a little different, since I have no way of touching the hands... . But, understood for sure. Thanks for the insight

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    On top of that, do it now. The sooner the more plausible your case. With regards to justification, Ball are entry level luxury in my opinion. These arent Seiko 5 watches and should be treated like heirlooms. QA in all phases of ownership is expected.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    [Insert inspirational or philosophical quote here] - By [Insert philospher's name]

TIP: Always take pictures of anything you drop off for service just prior to dropping it off. It’s saved me two arguments with service providers in the past (not watch, but boat and car).

As a bonus, watching their jaws drop as I prove they are wrong, is something to relish!
    Last edited by Quantumleap; November 13th, 2019 at 01:08. Reason: Added a comment
    Nokie likes this.

Jesus where did you take it too? I live in the Chicago area. Guessing Lincolnwood?

lvt

It seems like they assigned your watch to a student watchmaker. An experienced watchmaker would never let it happen as it can be spotted easily with naked eyes.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

That sucks man. Send it back. It looked like the service technician used a pair of pliers or something to have grip marks on the hands like that.

As others have said, this is not just limited to Ball Watch - and this is the authorised service centre we are talking about - not actually Ball Watch and it is an unfortunate occurrence to your watch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information