Status of Royal Blue Commemorative?

Thread: Status of Royal Blue Commemorative?

Status of Royal Blue Commemorative?

Last I read was that this was targeted for a spring 2009 release. Is Ball still pretty much on track with that? Maybe a Basel 2009 release? Maybe sooner?! I've been very curious about this and, to the best of my knowledge, not many hints have been given as of yet about the design (which is probably a good thing).
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

Re: Status of Royal Blue Commemorative?

Quote: Roberev
    1) Please use blue tritium tubes. They may not be as bright as green or yellow, but it's more important to stick with the theme on this one, IMHO; and,

2) Please PLEASE don't go over 43mm (w/o crown diameter) - 44mm at the most. Anything bigger just won't let this model work as a dress watch.
    I like both of these suggestions.

Here's another idea: How about placing the tritium tubes on the underside of the hour and minute hands instead of above them (presumably, you would have to use the larger tubes to do this), to create more of a glow and silhouette appearance of the hands in the dark? I think something like that could look really unique, especially if done in connection with some kind of moonphase movement. Just a thought, from a lowly non-horologist.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    This will be an exciting model to the Trainmaster line Jeff. I love the idea of having the Hands that way. Maybe Rob can play around with his watchmaker and flip the hands for a pic.

Here is what Rob found out at the time of the B&O Ball Watch Event:

While the design is not final, the Royal Blue model likely will have the following specs:
    - 43 or 44mm case.
    - Highly decorated Unitas movement, to include Ball's original & traditional spiraling damaskeening. (Chronometer specs still under consideration, but may result in a final price that's too high to sell as a collaborative piece through the museum)
    - May have a bracelet option, since Americans (like me!) just can't seem to live without them.
    - White enamel dial
    - Tritium lume (of course) similar to the Heritage, L&I, and 60 Seconds models. There is a split of opinion, however, on what color lume to use. The OBVIOUS choice is blue, IMHO, since it is the Royal Blue commemorative watch. The folks in Switzerland hold blue in a minimum of high regard (hence the Night Train color change), since it is not as visible as other colors.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=150418&highlight=royal+blue

Oh yeah - gotta go blue for the color! I'm not sure that my previous suggestion about the tubes underneath the hands would result in the look that I'm envisioning, although I sure wish I had the skill and tools to experiment with that. Maybe it would work, if the tubes attached to the hands were large and nearly as wide as the hands themselves. Probably would need to use the "T"/T-100 millicure tubes on the hands, since the lume would be reflecting off the dial and back out.
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To the good folks at my favorite watch company (how's that for buttering 'em up?), I have three requests for the new Royal Blue, FWIW:

1) PLEASE don't put this in the new 46mm case! (I know I'm repeating myself here) A white 46mm watch is just too darned big. Handwind, flip-back case, B&O Railroad connection, etc. are all very compelling; however, in the end, I simply won't buy a 46mm white watch.

2) Please follow through on the originally-announced plan to provide a bracelet for the watch. Jeff once correctly noted that we Americans just have to have our bracelets.

3) Please don't wait until next Spring to announce it! (By the way, I thought it was supposed to be announced last Spring and drove up to Baltimore just to see it ) Hurry up! Doxa is about to come out with a new diver (perhaps with tritium lume), which will take the $$ I've been saving for the Royal Blue.

Rob
    Last edited by roberev; October 15th, 2008 at 23:41.

Commemorative? Then wack in high-end complication in-house movement!

Thread Information