sticky/rough winding on my Engineer Chronometer
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By timefleas

Thread: sticky/rough winding on my Engineer Chronometer

Hi -- long time lurker here and Ball owner. Recently, the winding mechanism on my 8 year old Ball Engineer started to feel rough. It still winds and keeps very good time but definitely feels as if something is not lining up right or is worn. I suppose the nearest thing to the feel of this problem is how the winder starts to jag when you've wound it too max. It seems to feel like that all the time. I took it to the local watch repair guy I've always used (a retired old gentleman who still runs service from his home and is something of an old-school watch fanatic) who told me he thought it was not something to worry about and suggested I leave it alone, which seemed odd to me. Not sure what to make of his explanation. I asked another local repair service who estimated, without even looking, that it could be a min of $300 to 'repair' this. So, am looking for some advice on this. Is this a 'repair' or a minor adjustment or something else? My preference is to use a Ball AD or repair site for this if necessary but if it's genuinely not a major issue, I can bide my time until it next needs service. Thanks, Patrick

I was thinking like a main spring issue but it is rare for it to fail. If you’ve had it for eight years without a service, then it might be time for it. I think Ball requires a service every 5 years.

Edit: I just checked the Ball website and it recommends service every three to five years! Yikes!

Re: sticky/rough winding on my Engineer Chronometer

8 years is a long time without service, but I would NOT take it to Ball for servicing--a competent repair place should be able to service the watch appropriately at half Ball's asking price, and in half the time as well. I never follow any company's suggested service periods, and simply bring a watch in when it starts acting up--as yours has--I would have it checked, and yes, $300 is NOT unreasonable to have the watch opened, movement removed, disassembled, cleaned, repaired as necessary, reassembled and re-calibrated--having Ball do that would cost you at least twice as much, in money and time.
    Less is More...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ah, I was unclear -- I did get it serviced 3 years ago by the same chap who told me not to worry about the winder issue, hence my confusion when he said it's ok. He told me he likes Ball and this was otherwise working fine. But it's clearly not working as fine as I'd like. So...what I am hearing here is not to use Ball authorized repair but to service somewhere else? Ok, I can do this but it's not clear anyone local is competent for this so am, I suppose, looking for a suggestion on a CONUS service option. I am wary of sending it off in anticipation of an expensive estimate that I likely have to accept once it's out of my possession. Anyone have good experience with a repair center they'd endorse? Thanks

lvt

ETA movements have over-complicated winding mechanism design, none of my watches has smooth winding, but they are pretty robust. I never have power reserve issue with ETA movements.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by patrick49 View Post
    Ah, I was unclear -- I did get it serviced 3 years ago by the same chap who told me not to worry about the winder issue, hence my confusion when he said it's ok. He told me he likes Ball and this was otherwise working fine. But it's clearly not working as fine as I'd like. So...what I am hearing here is not to use Ball authorized repair but to service somewhere else? Ok, I can do this but it's not clear anyone local is competent for this so am, I suppose, looking for a suggestion on a CONUS service option. I am wary of sending it off in anticipation of an expensive estimate that I likely have to accept once it's out of my possession. Anyone have good experience with a repair center they'd endorse? Thanks
    If he has already taken your watch apart, he thus knows your watch, and if he says it is OK, I think I would simply go with that, since it is still running fine.
    Nokie likes this.

If he has already taken your watch apart, he thus knows your watch, and if he says it is OK, I think I would simply go with that, since it is still running fine.
    +1
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thread Information