Talk to me about the Trainmaster One Hundred Twenty

Thread: Talk to me about the Trainmaster One Hundred Twenty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talk to me about the Trainmaster One Hundred Twenty

What do you guys think of these? Can you still get them? I think I read that they were a limited edition and since the 120th anniversary was in 2011 I'm wondering if you can still get them. Do you guys think it's too dressy to go with a polo shirt and jeans? Is this a watch that must be worn with a suit in order not to look like a schmuck?

I'm looking for a nice watch that does not have the size and thickness of a diver my only hesitation is the leather strap. Although very beautiful in the pictures I have seen I am kind of hesitant to spend that kind of money on a watch that is only available on leather. What's it like to wear leather every day?

Im in the process of selling my big thick PO and am considering this watch with the charcoal dial or the Omega De Ville Hour Vision. I like the smaller size and thickness of this watch better than the Omega but im not sure about only having a leather option. What do you guys think?

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Re: Talk to me about the Trainmaster One Hundred Twenty

These are still available. A good friend of mine has one and I really love the thin profile of this case.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Hard for me to wear a gold watch with polo and jeans.

Lots of great choices in the TrainMaster line

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree with TC--I think your next best bet is probably the Ball Trainmaster Legend---SS case is same width as the 120 case, only one 1mm thicker AND will take a SS bracelet. Similar small date window only, though positioned differently.

Thanks for the recommendation but one of the things that I hate that Ball seems to love is the slanted 4:30 date window. If it was straight I would have no problem with it but in my opinion when watch makers use a slanted 4:30 date window I think they are being cheep so they don’t have to design a new date wheel. I just think it looks so much more symmetrical to have the date window straight.

I agree with the comments about a lot of great choices in the Trainmaster line there are a few that check a few boxes but none that check them all. I love the Eternity series but another thing I don’t really like on my watches which Ball seems to love is a day complication. Another one that I really like is the Cleveland Express Power Reserve but at 43mm its out of my size limits. My next watch needs to fall somewhere in between the following size 38-40mm in diameter and 10-12mm in thickness.
    Last edited by Jim Jones; July 31st, 2014 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation but one of the things that I hate that Ball seems to love is the slanted 4:30 date window. If it was straight I would have no problem with it but in my opinion when watch makers use a slanted 4:30 date window I think they are being cheep so they don’t have to design a new date wheel. I just think it looks so much more symmetrical to have the date window straight......
    You raise an interesting point which illustrates differences in perceptions. For me, the "slanted" date is much more symmetrical (because it is not competing with one of the main hour markers, and is treated as a separate indicator) than one placed at 3:00, thus, I much prefer the former over the latter.

A truly symmetrical date window would almost by definition have to be centered somehow, as there is just one such window, thus, somewhere along the vertical 12/6 axis, such as right above the 6--and if a numeral must be replaced, then the 6 would make for a good candidate, in terms of a balanced dial.

Why is placing the date at 3 not symmetrical? Simply because, well, it is not. It places a window in the position of one of the "big" four hour markers (12, 3, 6, 9). Whether this was done on the left (replacing the 9) or the right (replacing the 3) it is indeed asymmetrical (while complete symmetry would be achieved, as noted, by placing it somewhere along the 12/6 axis). Indenting the date window from the 3, with the 3 still showing, is a step up, and certainly possible as witnessed by many watch designs.

I will concede that a great many watches place the date in this 3 position, and as a result, through a kind of brainwashing, has instilled the impression on us that this is the "natural" position, but it really isn't. Placing the date away from the four main hour slots, such as in a slanted position, simply suggests that that the main hours are important, and date, too, is important, all by itself, and its own unique way.

On a Ball, the asymmetry of the date window at 3:00 is even more notable when tritium tubes come into play, where at night, your watch has glowing tubes at 6, 9 and 12--and a big black hole at 3, because the date window is placed there--for that reason alone, I often avoid watches so configured. My two Fireman and my Aviator all have the date indented at 3--with the 3 or the hour marker still there, while my Trainmaster Cleveland Express Big Date is the most symmetrical of all with the date positioned just below the 12 mark, though, unfortunately, I wish it actually had the 12 as well.

Opposite views of the basically the same issue--but the most important view of course is your own, since it is your wrist--good luck finding something that works for you.
    Last edited by timefleas; August 1st, 2014 at 02:51.

Anybody else into this watch and have any thought they would like to share? It's such a cool piece I'm surprised it's not more popular. Any more thoughts on whether or not it would look completely out of place with clothing that is not a suit I.E. polo shirt or short sleeve collard casual shirt and jeans?

I think that you wear what you like with whatever you want to wear it with. If it makes you happy then where it with shorts and a t-shirt. I wear my 115 Heritage Trainmaster when I want mostly a nice shirt and jeans.

I have to agree with you that it is a great looking watch. I have been eyeing one for awhile now and just haven't found the funds for it. (Other watches keep getting in the way) I hope to have one one day soon!

Quote Originally Posted by kirbystrunk View Post
    I think that you wear what you like with whatever you want to wear it with. If it makes you happy then where it with shorts and a t-shirt. I wear my 115 Heritage Trainmaster when I want mostly a nice shirt and jeans.

I have to agree with you that it is a great looking watch. I have been eyeing one for awhile now and just haven't found the funds for it. (Other watches keep getting in the way) I hope to have one one day soon!
    which one do you have white gold or yellow gold?

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    These are still available. A good friend of mine has one and I really love the thin profile of this case.

Another question for you guys. I figured I would post here before starting a new thread. I did some goggling so I think the answer is yes but I want to be sure before I even consider this watch.
    So my question is as follows:
    Is the movement inside this watch the Ball RR1101 automatic winding in both directions? From what I have found out this movement is an ETA 2892 and from what I can find out about that movement it is supposedly automatic winding in both directions but like I said I want to ask you guys first for confirmation?

Samanaton
    Tell your friend to take some pics and wrist shots there is nowhere near enough pics of this beautiful watch out there

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information