Thanks to All, I got MY first Ball!

Thread: Thanks to All, I got MY first Ball!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thanks to All, I got MY first Ball!

Having not even heard of ball watches a couple of weeks ago, I went looking to buy a new "nice" watch to "treat" myself. I had my heart set on an Omega Planet Ocean Chrono and talked to a local jeweler who is Swiss and a certified watch maker. He first suggested a Carl Bucherer (had never heard of that one either), but those were as in the same price range of Omega and Rolex (which he said were OK watches, lol). He told me the REAL value were the Ball watches and I looked at them and I thought WOW.

Well....... after much thought and much time on the Internet, I decided on a Ball Hydrocarbon "Mad Cow" with black face. The local jeweler sadly would not come off the "list" price and I found TNS Diamonds in Philadelphia and Andrew gave me a good price and good service and I now have my new Ball on my wrist. I am now looking to buy a Ball Trainmaster 60 Ladies (28.8mm) in all stainless for my wife (would this be a good one for her??).

Name:  myball.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  116.1 KB
    Last edited by mallen; August 17th, 2007 at 15:15.

Re: Thanks to All, I got MY first Ball!

Great choice! One of the Classic in the ball line, Congrats and wear it in good health.
    Mark

Good choice! The Mad Cow is a great first Ball. It is extraordinarily comfortable, especially on the rubber strap.

Sadly (for US customers, at least), Ball sent out an edict earlier this year to its ADs prohibiting them from giving more than a 10% discount (or so I'm told my my AD). I was buying at 30% off from my AD before that. Now I have to buy from an overseas supplier to get the big discount.

A word of caution: Take your time with the strap changes, and use both screwdrivers. It's very easy to strip the screw tube threads if you force the tube to turn or if you overtighten it. Also, use the little tube extender that they gave you in the little plastic baggie. That gizmo really helps to feed the screw tubes into the right position when installing the bracelet or rubber strap.

Enjoy!
    Rob

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would be very careful buying a Ball from out of US and importing them in. Since the tritium tubes that Ball watches use are regulated by the NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commision). Ball Watch USA is the only authorized company to import them, so your watch could possible be seized by customs due to the regulations, as the dealers outside the US do not possess the permits to import them. Remember it took Ball Watch US 2 years to get the necessary paperwork and permits to be allowed to bring in 25 millicuries watches into the US, and another several months to get permits to bring in up to 100 millicurie watches here..

Quote Originally Posted by mallen View Post
    I am now looking to buy a Ball Trainmaster 60 Ladies (28.8mm) in all stainless for my wife (would this be a good one for her??).

Name:  myball.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  116.1 KB

I mean, yes, that would be an excellent choice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Obie View Post

Thanks Mrs Obie, I think it would make a nice surprise.

Congratulations on your first Ball -- I betcha can't wait for the other one to drop, eh? (sorry, I couldn't help myself there...). The Mad Cow is an instant classic, and I'm sure that it's going to provide you with years of faithful service.

As an aside, it's interesting to hear that Ball is starting to crack down on the AD discounts; Lord knows I got more than 10% off on my EHC GMT. But then I suppose this move was necessary to protect the integrity of the brand as they continue to grow and build a name for themselves. I still recall the thinly veiled skepticism my EHC was met with when I "announced" its arrival in my stable on TZ a couple of years back, yet now anytime Ball is brought up, a veritable flood of positive endorsements flows in. So, while this will make them more expensive going forward, this move does have the advantage of potentially increasing the cachet of the brand as well as the value of the watches we already own.

Regards,
    Adam
    DW-002BM-8, DW-003R-9T, DW-5600BB-1ER, DW-5600GLRZ2, DW-5600GRLZM, DW-5700BE, DW-5700SF2, DW-6900-7BUFF, DW-6900MT-7ER, DW-6900CL-4CR, DW-6900KR-8JR, DW-6900FS, DW-6901UD-3ER, DW-8800AB-9T, DW-9100BJ-2A, G-001BE, GA-110DR-1A, GA-111DR-7A, GA-120BB, GD-X6900AL-2, GD-X6900-7TY2, GD-X6900JC, GD-X6900MNM, GD-X6900MH, GDF-100BB, GLX-150-4DR, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000TFG-9, GPR-B1000TLC-1JR, GPW-2000, GST-B100D-1A, GST-200RBG, GT-100, GW-5000-1JF, GW-5530C, GW-9400-1ER, GW-9400-3ER, GW-9430EJ-9JR, GW-9400KJ, GW-9401KJ, GWG-1000, GWM-5600TH-1, GWN-Q1000, GXW-56-3JF, GXW-56-4JF, GXW-56BB-1JF

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Obie View Post

Well, Thanks again Mrs Obie, the Trainmaster 60 Ladies (S/S Bracelet and white face) is on the way! My wife is very excited....

One never forgets his first Ball.
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Baume & Mercier Worldtimer, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, IWC Aquatimer Chrono Blue & Orange,Omega SMP, Rolex Gmt-Master II BNLR, Tag Heuer Monaco Gulf Special, Zenith El Primero Stratos Flyback Striking 10th

Quote Originally Posted by roberev
    Sadly (for US customers, at least), Ball sent out an edict earlier this year to its ADs prohibiting them from giving more than a 10% discount (or so I'm told my my AD). I was buying at 30% off from my AD before that. Now I have to buy from an overseas supplier to get the big discount.
    Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    As an aside, it's interesting to hear that Ball is starting to crack down on the AD discounts; Lord knows I got more than 10% off on my EHC GMT. But then I suppose this move was necessary to protect the integrity of the brand as they continue to grow and build a name for themselves....
    Regards,
    Adam
    When I bought my EMII Classic from my local Ball AD, early this past March, the sales guy(who was also the store manager) gave me his rock bottom price(after considerable discussion)...which came out to right around 20% off...a very fair deal, I felt.
    While I understand Ball's reasons for wanting to regulate dealer discounts, I hope that they will remember that we live in a world with internet shopping, and that many of their customers will only buy their Balls wherever they can get the best deals. For me, a Ball watch is an expensive purchase, so I have to look for a decent discount out of necessity. I hope that Ball will consider being a little more flexible with their dealer discount policy, so that I can buy my future Balls from my local Ball AD.
    Take care,
    Geoff

Damasko DA36 Black
    Seiko Blue "Sumo" SBDC003
    Enzo Mechana Sub Hatch
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1
    Casio G-Shock GW-2500B-1A G-Aviator
    Ball Engineer Master II Classic
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Ti "Mad Cow"
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m LE "America's Cup"
    Seiko Black Monster w/Yobokies Anvil bracelet
    Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual SS(wedding gift)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information