Is there something I am missing??? Ball AD
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Is there something I am missing??? Ball AD

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is there something I am missing??? Ball AD

Long story short. Been looking to add a Ball to my collection for some time now but have never pulled the trigger. Was at my AD last weekend and they offered me the following, NM1O58D-S4J-WH, Train Master with Roman numerals

AD suggested this watch retails for $2,099 and they could do it for $1,650. OK a decent discount but nothing that made me jump at it......

Fast forward to today and picking up a watch they were working on, they asked if there was still interest in the Ball. I suggested doing some research that I am able to find it online for less and while I want to support them doing so at a premium doesn't make sense.

Before I was able to leave the owner at the AD walked over and asked what were looking at.......he then went in the back for a few minutes and came out suggesting they could do the watch for $1,050 or 50% off MSRP.

He went on to say they are looking at phasing Ball out of their store as it is not as popular as their other offerings.

Is this common with Ball? Do they hold value or does it drop like a stone. Price almost seems too good to be true but this is an old well established shop and they have always been on the level......

Is this deal too good to walk away from??

A watch unworn is a watch not owned......scratches are simply history

Re: Is there something I am missing??? Ball AD

An AD in Chicago told me they are phasing then out as well. Not because they're unpopular, but because of ball's direct to consumer approach.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    fish70 and umarrajs like this.

All luxury items are marked up massively so I’d say that markdown moves the watch into the “what one SHOULD pay for it” category. If you like it I’d say go for it. AD support and grey market pricing for a watch you like. Sounds like a win to me! Are you buying watches to sell at a profit or keep your investment safe or to wear? If it’s the former I wouldn’t recommend looking at watches at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. I purchase to enjoy. Not interested in turning a buck, just a hobby......
    A watch unworn is a watch not owned......scratches are simply history

Quote Originally Posted by fungo45 View Post
    An AD in Chicago told me they are phasing then out as well. Not because they're unpopular, but because of ball's direct to consumer approach.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    In other words they can’t make money off of them. IMO the grey market is awesome for BALL fans. We’re getting sweet prices as a result. ETA movements in most of their offerings means any watchmaker worth their salt can work on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    trappster and fish70 like this.

I believe that Fugo45 is correct, that Ball's pre-order direct to consumer marketing and sales is why many ADs are leaving and are or will no longer carry Ball watches.

The benefit of purchasing from an AD is the warranty. If you register your watch online with Ball you get an extra year, making it a three year warranty.

As has been mentioned, prices for Ball watches in the secondary market do not hold up well. This can be good for a buyer looking for a preowned Ball watch.

While it is a nice watch, I believe the Trainmaster Roman is one of Ball's least popular models. Not that you shouldn't get one if you like it, esspecially as it sounds like you intend to keep it.
    JasonEdward and fish70 like this.
    It wasn't this time until now. - Me.

Ball seems to be in an awkward transitionary state as a brand right now. They were purchased by a group in Hong Kong and I have noticed many in the Ball facebook group that I joined complaining of a drop in quality with the newest models. I had visited an AD as well, looking into purchasing a Ball. They did not have many in stock and told me that soon they would get more. Months went by and eventually they told me frankly that Ball has been incomunicado with them and are starting to sell direct to the consumer instead. As a result, I suspect that the grey market is currently being flooded with pieces that AD's want to liquidate. I've also seen AD's selling through ebay at super low prices. (Example: brand new Engineer iii Marvelight for around $1000). It is likely that your AD just wants to get the last few balls they have off of their hands. If they'll back it up with an in-house warranty, I would say you are getting a great deal. And if this is the old stock they still have from previous batches, lowering quality may be less of a concern. I suspect that the used market for Ball watches is also going to drop in price, following the gray market price drops as AD's liquidate. In other words, now or in the coming months is a good time to buy a Ball if you plan on doing so, in my opinion.
    JasonEdward likes this.

I think it’s normal that those ADs phasing out Ball Watches will heavily discount their watches. After all, no point holding onto stock if they will no longer be a Ball AD.

What you need to know is that an AD has already paid for the stock. So they either sell it and recoup their cost when it’s still covered by an AD’s warranty or let it sit in the showcase asking for a high price that will never be sold after they are no longer an AD.
    JasonEdward likes this.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

The replies here have basically got it right, Ball has taken a different marketing approach, with direct online sales, and has effectively cut brick and mortar shops out of the equation. In doing so, many ADs have been downloading their stock, at break even or loss prices. And, this has of course had an impact on the resale market, where watches are not commanding as much as they used to, but the good ones still hold their value well. If you like the watch, the deal they have offered you can't be beat. The watches themselves were always worth well more than what they sold for, but they simply didn't have a strong enough foothold in the marketplace to maintain a fleet of high-middle priced watches. I will still put any of my four up against anything comparable by any other brand, and be certain I got the better of the deal, but that's me.
    JasonEdward likes this.
    Less is More...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information