Thoughts on comparison between Ceramic XV and Black
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ~tc~
  • 1 Post By samanator
  • 1 Post By samanator

Thread: Thoughts on comparison between Ceramic XV and Black

Thoughts on comparison between Ceramic XV and Black

On vacation in Fiji this spring, I took my XV on bracelet. While going through one of the resorts, there was a Ball AD and I tried on a Black. Long story short, the seed was planted, and finally the opportunity arose to trade the XV for a preowned Black at Topper. I've had the Black for a few weeks now, so thought I would jot some thoughts. I had to send in the XV before receiving the Black, so, sorry, no side by side photos.

Case: the cases are exactly the same, but the titanium case of the Black results in it being considerably more comfortable. I would call it a draw in this regard. The polished case and gloss bezel of the XV does look really sharp, and, like a Submariner, is acceptable to wear for any occasion these days.

Bezel: landslide win to the Black. While I prefer the gloss finish of the XV, the feel, lume, and 3D profile of the Black absolutely blow the XV away.

Strap: I'm realizing I'm maybe not a bracelet guy. The rubber strap is exactly the same. As a matter of fact, since it had punched another hole in the XV strap, I had Rob switch it over to the Black. The fit is the same. The rubber strap has a pretty potent vanilla smell. The holes are spaced quite far apart (therefore why I punched another one)

Dial: hmmm ... This is the tough one. I REALLY like the XV dial. Starburst finish, clean, classy layout - I think the XV is the best dial in the EHC line. By comparison, the Black is a flat dial with a very, um, sporty layout. Looking back, I kind of wish I had asked Rob about putting the XV dial in the. Black case. But then ...

Lume: the Black's lume is amazing. I can't believe this is a T25 watch. Absolutely blows the XV away, and I would say it's also brighter than my T100 diver Worldtime. (Probably due to color, with the green being perceived brighter than the blue). The Black also seems more reactive to being "charged" like regular lume.

Hands: I prefer the XV hands. With the triangular cutout at the end, it was really cool how the hand tube lined up perfectly with the minute markers.

Cyclops: OK, I gotta admit it makes it easier - by a lot - to read the date. Why, oh, why can't it be internal?

Net? I'm pretty happy with the Black. It is more comfortable to wear in the hot weather than the XV (I'm wondering if I have a slight Ni allergy) and the lume is absolutely astounding. It is not quite as versatile as the XV, but that's why I have more than one watch! ... And let's face it, with the RGM, I don't need much of an excuse to wear a real dress watch.

Some pix
    XV on rubber

XV on bracelet in Fiji

Black

(All photos taken with iPad, sorry)
    Last edited by ~tc~; July 13th, 2014 at 04:23.
    wschofield3 and TTL like this.

Re: Thoughts on comparison between Ceramic XV and Black

Beautiful timepiece ~tc~. Color goes well with the rubber strap although I must admit a personal preference to the SS. I'm also a fan of the simpler, clean look but one of my personal favorites is my recently acquired NEDU that seems much busier than most in my collection. Thanks for the photos.
    Last edited by Heartlandblaster; July 13th, 2014 at 03:56.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Thanks for the notes and Congrats. The near absence of weight of the Black makes it so comfortable.
    Heartlandblaster likes this.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Actually, I don't notice the weight difference much between the XV on rubber and the Black. Now, XV on bracelet to Black is definitely noticeable!

Certainly the Black is lighter, but it still has some weight.

For a sports watch, I think the black on black does it best--a light, go anywhere, do anything watch.

I weighed a XV on rubber and it came in at 136 grams ( about what a Skindiver weighs on rubber). On bracelet it is 179 grams (Skindiver is 159 grams on bracelet). Nearly 30 grams between the XV and Black was easily detectable on the wrist for me.
    Michael

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

I'm sure back to back its noticeable, but with a week in between they didn't feel too different.

A paper clip weighs 1 gram ... 30 paper clips isn't much difference.

Since my wife's dog had puppies on Saturday morning I had out the postage scale that we use to monitor their weight for the first few weeks for the pups. Out of curiosity I weighed a heavy 2" paperclip and I got .15 grams. So 30 grams would be about 200 paperclips or about a whole box of these. I think most people could tell that difference.

Since I mention it in my Black review I weighed my Rolex Explorer II on bracelet and it comes in a 148 grams or 12 more than the XV on strap and 40 more than the Black.

While I'm at it here are a few more:

My Fireman B&O 43mm The First Mile on leather which seem to disappear on my wrist after a few minutes is 88 grams.
    My Casio G-Shock Riseman Atomic/solar is 59 grams and the lightest watch I own.
    My Suunto All Black core just misses at 62 grams.
    On the other end of the spectrum my Omega Seamaster Proplof 1200 on mesh is the heaviest at 268 grams.
    My Omega Planet Ocean GMT "Good Planet" on bracelet is 200 grams even and my Omega Speedmaster Mark II on bracelet is 180 grams.

(Note the bracelet watches are sized to 7.25" so a few links are removed from each)

Interesting for those who had a Ball watch serviced by Ball US a few years ago it would come back in a pleather zipper case with a pillow(4"x4"x3.5"). That weights 110 grams so it is actually a little heavier (or should I say 13 paper clips) than the Black.
    Last edited by samanator; July 14th, 2014 at 19:07.
    timefleas likes this.
    Michael

Go Mines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting data samanator!

Surprised the Rolex on bracelet is that light.

Thread Information