Thoughts on this EMII Diver

Thread: Thoughts on this EMII Diver

Thoughts on this EMII Diver

It's been a looooong time since I've posted here. Glad to still see some familiar names looking through the recent threads. Anyway, I was a pretty big fan of Ball years ago having owned three Hydrocarbons, several EMII Divers, a GMT, Marvelight, etc. Unfortunately several very bad experiences with BWUSA really turned me off. I sold everything I had and swore I'd never buy one again.

Fast forward to today - Hess and company has severed ties from what I understand (former BWUSA), many many ADs including the two I used to buy from have dropped Ball because of the direct to consumer preorder pricing (and other reasons), resale values have plummeted, and there seems to be a lot of good buys to be had depending on which model and where you buy it... My point is, a lot seems to have changed since I was buying Balls from ADs many years ago. Definitely not knocking Ball with the aforementioned observations either.

Recently, I've been missing having a tritium watch in the collection. Ball was and still is it for a good swiss made mechanical using tritium. So naturally, I've started looking at Ball again. Out of all the Balls I owned, I remember really liking the EMII Divers the most. The Hydrocarbons were cool too but the only current one I really like is the 40mm Hydrocarbon Original but that's probably a little more than I'd like to spend to scratch this itch.

Anyway, the EMII divers seem to be long gone as far as production goes. It looks like they did a run of LEs in various colors in 2017. Which brings me to the point of my post. I found a company that probably bought a bunch of unsold overstock of these 2017 GMT LEs and are blowing them out at 66% off MSRP or about 1k brand new. That's a pretty darn good deal, no? My question for you guys is this - I know the orange and navy won't be for everyone. Heck, all my watches are plain black dial watches so this would be out of my norm too but I like the look and it'd be something different. Color aside, what do you think about that deal? Since they are 2017 production, the tubes ought to be as new bright and the movements haven't sat long enough to worry about either. Another question is what has everyone's experience been with Ball's DLC coatings? Is durability good as far as DLC goes? I know no coating is bulletproof but just like AR, some companies do it better than others. I've never owned a DLC watch either. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to (likely) owning a Ball again soon.

Current lineup:
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver GMT
    Rolex 114300 OP 39
    Panerai Radiomir (42mm) PAM574
    Omega 8800 (38mm) Aqua Terra
    Omega 8800 (39.5mm) Planet Ocean
    Omega Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Rolex 116610LN Ceramic Sub
    Rolex GMT Master (Pepsi) 1675
    1950's Rolex Precision
    1960's Rolex Oyster Perpetual
    1950's Omega Seamaster
    Luminox Diver
    Marathon Navigator
    Other Vintage Watches

Welcome back! I've got an older Generation I DLC Night Train and more recently a DLC Stormchaser Glow and they stand up well to everyday abuse.

Can you tell I'm a lume junkie- both watches feature over 60 tubes! 🙂

Re: Thoughts on this EMII Diver

I like this model too...saw this version recently (didn't know it existed), and if only it were $500-$600 cheaper...
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Thoughts on this EMII Diver

They are a great model. DLC is a better/tougher coating than PVC, but will still scratch if mistreated.

I like the look and think it would be a good addition to anyone's collection .
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by morrison2951 View Post
    Welcome back! I've got an older Generation I DLC Night Train and more recently a DLC Stormchaser Glow and they stand up well to everyday abuse.

Can you tell I'm a lume junkie- both watches feature over 60 tubes! 🙂
    Thanks! Glad to hear that. I treat my pretty watches well so it should hold up. Pulled the trigger this morning. ETA Tuesday 😎👍🏻
    Current lineup:
    Rolex 114300 OP 39
    1950's Rolex Precision
    1950's Omega Seamaster
    Luminox Diver
    Marathon Navigator
    Other Vintage Watches

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheDriver View Post
    I like this model too...saw this version recently (didn't know it existed), and if only it were $500-$600 cheaper...
    I saw that as I was looking around. Definitely the best looking piece of that group. I wish they were cheaper too, that would have been my first choice. But, I still really dig the orange and blue too. It should give my collection a needed splash of color. Pulled the trigger this morning, ETA Tuesday. I'll be sure to share some thoughts and photos once it arrives.
    Current lineup:
    Rolex 114300 OP 39
    1950's Rolex Precision
    1950's Omega Seamaster
    Luminox Diver
    Marathon Navigator
    Other Vintage Watches

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    They are a great model. DLC is a better/tougher coating than PVC, but will still scratch if mistreated.

I like the look and think it would be a good addition to anyone's collection .
    Absolutely! Always enjoyed the two I had back in the day. My first was a green bezel EMII. The size was great for a smaller wrist with the short lugs. Never could get past the polished numerals on the dial though...

The one I really loved was the EMII Diver Chronometer but it was too big at 44mm.

Current lineup:
    Rolex 114300 OP 39
    1950's Rolex Precision
    1950's Omega Seamaster