Timing and Accuracy Questions

Thread: Timing and Accuracy Questions

TMW

Timing and Accuracy Questions

All,

I have seen many posts of late that are in regard to timing and accuracy. I am posting this (as a sticky) as a good reference for all to test and verify the accuracy of the watch. this will help you to determine performance, and whether to send back for regulation. As always, I recommend if any problems to contact Ball Customer Service.

Here are the steps to test/determine accuracy issues (below courtesy of Obie)

1. Never use a computer CPU to time your watch. Go to www.time.gov and set your watch from there.

2. Make sure the watch is wound fully when testing it, by winding it up before you set the time.

3. How active are you? Just wearing a watch 24/7 does not necessarily mean that you are active enough to keep it fully wound above its minimum power reserve. Many people have desk jobs where they don't move around too much.

To test it:

Wind it every morning 30-40 winds. Check it daily against time.gov at the same time per day. Do this for a few weeks to see what type of accuracy it is keeping.

Also if it is new, the movement could take several weeks to settle down into its normal accuracy. If used, do you know if the watch was opened, if it took any hard knocks?

Go that route and see where you are are. You may be surprised that you aren't active enough and that your computer CPU keeps horrible time. If your watch is still out 30 seconds per day, it may be covered under warranty. That said any local watchmaker should be able to get it within COSC spec with only a few minutes on their bench.

Re: Timing and Accuracy Questions

Good suggestion dude.

When setting up the watch for timing and accuracy are you using a vice for holding and mounting the watch and a some type of fixed calibrated eye piece with a scale in the optics to align the minute hand to dead center of the target minute before you lock in the second hand precisely at 12:00? I got 'close' with a set of magnified reading glasses but the best I could do with the second hand was a 'hair' off of top dead center when I started my sync-to-www.time.gov test. I'm a noob and I'm curious as to how you experienced people are doing this.

Regards, Chris

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_L View Post
    When setting up the watch for timing and accuracy are you using a vice for holding and mounting the watch and a some type of fixed calibrated eye piece with a scale in the optics to align the minute hand to dead center of the target minute before you lock in the second hand precisely at 12:00? I got 'close' with a set of magnified reading glasses but the best I could do with the second hand was a 'hair' off of top dead center when I started my sync-to-www.time.gov test. I'm a noob and I'm curious as to how you experienced people are doing this.

Regards, Chris
    I've never heard of anyone going to such extremes to center a minute hand.
    Minute hand position has no bearing on checking accuracy, it's just nice to have it aligned right for aesthetics. (unless you're trying to check a watch with no seconds hand I guess )
    Unless you're trying to check a super accurate high end quartz that's spec'd to like +-5 secs a year, I'd not stress such super precise alignment of a seconds hand.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    I've never heard of anyone going to such extremes to center a minute hand.
    Minute hand position has no bearing on checking accuracy, it's just nice to have it aligned right for aesthetics. .....
    Yes, I agree on the minute hand not having a bearing on accuracy and on the asethetics piece too. That is an aesthetic that I do like. Sounds like my eyeball approximation of the second hand alignment may be within acceptable practices then which was my main concern since I started my accuracy test today.

Frankly saying as long as they are within the spec of +/-9 secs(or +/-5 secs for COSC) per day it should be fine. Anyway our universal time(ie watch you see on the clock/internet) does not even coordinate with atomic time so the people in-charge of universal time is adding a second to the year end (31-dec-2009) just to compensate the difference between atomic time and universal time...

Thread Information